Justin Herbert vs. Taylor Alie
Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1
-
GrantDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 2629
- Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:05 pm
Re: Justin Herbert vs. Taylor Alie
Watching Herbert reminds me of watching Kellen Clemens in High school. Herbert is a little bigger, but Clemens always had that "Burns Cowboy" kind of attitude and although he grew up in Eugene, Herbert shows a little bit of that reckless gunslinger(in a good way!) mentality. He'll push the ball down the field, but he also just trucks kids that are smaller than him while running and is unafraid on the football field.
Clemens played in a similar style offense in high school as well. So I think that's your closest comparison, a bigger, stronger, Kellen Clemens(who has been a pretty darn successful back up NFL QB!).
Clemens played in a similar style offense in high school as well. So I think that's your closest comparison, a bigger, stronger, Kellen Clemens(who has been a pretty darn successful back up NFL QB!).
- greenyellow
- Moderator

- Posts: 39213
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
- Location: Eugene, OR
-
srsmiley007
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 745
- Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:26 am
Re: Justin Herbert vs. Taylor Alie
Ya think:)Greenblood wrote:I get the impression you're high on Herbert, Smiley . . .
Yeah, I'm all in for the first time on a QB recruit,,,,like in,,,forever!
All of them have so many warts. TJ while good and fast has a slow delivery and career 59% completion percentage all while he had a supposed 4.5 star WR to throw too.
Mahalak, OK speed, good program, decent stats but not 70% completion percentage with +10 yards per completion avg's. Etc., etc., etc.,
A lot of these guys are getting yards and completions off of bubble screens and their WR's YAC. Watch the film, all of his from 2015, and you'll see just some of what I've been privy too.
As a former coach/player, I look at things a little different than some of the guys on the this board and don't often get super hyped by tangibles or star ratings. It's really the film, techniques, intangibles. A lot of these kids you can't quite get a bead on as far as the intangibles but I was able to personally source out mine on this. Heart, hard work, will also come into play but very few QB's have been a state champion at the highest division for 3 sports. If he wasn't injured last year they would have likely made it to the State Championship in football giving him the tri-fecta. He's also throwing like this with literally no real elite WR and an average O-Line.
Here's a couple of others that I'm high on as well:
- Briscoe: He has the tools but doesn't necessarily explode on video. However, as son of a former player, he a.) has the genetics and b.) upbringing of a kid who will compete. He'll be starter in 2-3 years
- AJ Hotchkins: Complete Monster. Finally a LB who can really hit. Doesn't need a head of steam to hit, unique in his ability to destroy someone with 2-3 steps, unique power with hips and quickness. With the exception of Jonah Moi, would take this kid over every other LB recruit. If he's here by springball he'll pass everyone on the depth chart. We'll likely have he and Moi starting in the inside (since we really run a 3-4 I consider both backers inside).
Mattingly, Swain and Regan will be backing these guys up which will make for a nice rotation.
- Hunter Kampmoyer: Complete beast, will elevate his game when facing real competition. Might take 2 years but should be a starter. Forget the 40time. That only matters for WR's and DB's. Shuttle & quickness are key. He's deceptively quick. Hopefully they move him to inside but could play outside. Not sure if he fits they have him slotted for OLB/Drop-End but we'll see.
- Jaredy Mayden: The real deal, arguably one of the best corners in this recruiting cycle. Forget the BS ratings, he's a lockdown CB in one of the toughest high school football conferences in America and everyone is shying away from throwing his way.
- Bryson Young: Excellent, way under-rated. Perfect fit for us....Excellent get.
That's my favorites for this class......
- FlDuckFan
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 5068
- Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:45 am
- GM: Orlando Magic GM
- Location: Florida
Re: Justin Herbert vs. Taylor Alie
Smiley has gotten me hyped for Herbert. I know the next few years we'll be stacked at RB, & WR but i'd love to see us go with a young guy next year rather than a JUCO transfer. I love seeing the process and someone improve year to year.Greenblood wrote:I get the impression you're high on Herbert, Smiley . . .
-
srsmiley007
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 745
- Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:26 am
Re: Justin Herbert vs. Taylor Alie
Awesome because you should be! FYI, his brother is a WR for either Montana or Montana St., there's a lot of competition in that family so I'm counting on that to help eliminate the distractions of transitioning to college.FlDuckFan wrote:Smiley has gotten me hyped for Herbert. I know the next few years we'll be stacked at RB, & WR but i'd love to see us go with a young guy next year rather than a JUCO transfer. I love seeing the process and someone improve year to year.Greenblood wrote:I get the impression you're high on Herbert, Smiley . . .
If they bypass the JUCO QB that will be the telltale sign as to what Helf and Frost think of Herbert. However, if they grab a JUCO QB as an early enrollee its either because a.) Herbert is a stud baseball player and may not be an early enrollee. Supposedly football is his love but he's arguably the best HS pitcher in the state throwing roughly 94 mph. Like I said, elite arm strength or it means one or all of the following:
- Morgan M. is progressing
- TJ has progressed and will be healthy for springball.
- Herbert is enrolling early and they have him slotted to start as a true freshman.
- There's some top secret kid looking to pursue a graduate transfer to us like VA.
*It's clear to all that Lockie has neither the arm strength nor acumen in live-conditions. Alie isn't trusted as far as passing is concerned and struggles mightily with game time accuracy.
Thoughts?
-
dthomas=ddixon
- Moderator

- Posts: 8651
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:42 pm
- Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Re: Justin Herbert vs. Taylor Alie
Man, that Herbert kool aid is looking mighty tasty... I'm just going to sip it for now. Keep it up and I'll be chugging it before too long though.
I always have to remind myself that Mahalak is still only a RSF. It seems like there's countless guys who took 2-3 years before it clicked and once it did they were studs. We just put so much expectation on these kids, QBs especially, that if they don't blow everyone away their first day on campus we can kind of forget about them. Plus that's just the culture, kids simply don't wait around until their SR year to start, if they aren't the guy right away then they leave. Which is also a huge contributor to these QB recruits seeming never panning out. They can't because they're long gone by the time an opportunity arises.
I also want to add that Lockie has neither the heart nor the gumption to be in the combat seat. Max legroom won't be getting his.
I always have to remind myself that Mahalak is still only a RSF. It seems like there's countless guys who took 2-3 years before it clicked and once it did they were studs. We just put so much expectation on these kids, QBs especially, that if they don't blow everyone away their first day on campus we can kind of forget about them. Plus that's just the culture, kids simply don't wait around until their SR year to start, if they aren't the guy right away then they leave. Which is also a huge contributor to these QB recruits seeming never panning out. They can't because they're long gone by the time an opportunity arises.
I also want to add that Lockie has neither the heart nor the gumption to be in the combat seat. Max legroom won't be getting his.

-
srsmiley007
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 745
- Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:26 am
Re: Justin Herbert vs. Taylor Alie
Too true. Development has gone out the window these days. They all want to play within the 1st or 2nd year or they're gone. I applaud Lockie for staying but his arm and ability to play at game speed just isn't there. If Alie could throw on target for more than 15 yards I would love to see him ascend because he is super quick/fast but he too struggles with his arm/accuracy and his head. I wonder where we would have been this year with MM. Likely undefeated.dthomas=ddixon wrote:Man, that Herbert kool aid is looking mighty tasty... I'm just going to sip it for now. Keep it up and I'll be chugging it before too long though.
I always have to remind myself that Mahalak is still only a RSF. It seems like there's countless guys who took 2-3 years before it clicked and once it did they were studs. We just put so much expectation on these kids, QBs especially, that if they don't blow everyone away their first day on campus we can kind of forget about them. Plus that's just the culture, kids simply don't wait around until their SR year to start, if they aren't the guy right away then they leave. Which is also a huge contributor to these QB recruits seeming never panning out. They can't because they're long gone by the time an opportunity arises.
I also want to add that Lockie has neither the heart nor the gumption to be in the combat seat. Max legroom won't be getting his.
While I'm pouring all of the Herbert Koolaid and hyped because of his physical attributes, pocket awareness progressions and accuracy and what I see as his intangibles, the delta is always their head. How they think, how fast they make decisions(good decisions), how fast can they assimilate a playbook, etc. So while I'm interpreting what I've seen and heard, they're still just kids. They can get dethroned by a hot girl or their fraternity. The reality is it's a crapshoot but with no heir apparent for next season, I'm crossing my fingers for this kid to be mature and focused and based upon his apparent year round focus on sports I'm making the assumption that his dedication to winning overrides any need to smoke a joint every night, or pass up gamefilm or playbook study for a party.
We'll see. Like I stated in of the other topics, if we don't take a JUCO QB and Herbert is an early enrollee they either believe in him, TJ or Morgan to take the reigns next season. With the Lockie/Alie and our awful Defense (only because of the DC), it's clear that we can't exceed 6 wins without a good-to-elite QB at the helm.
- Duck07
- All-American
- Posts: 17123
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
- Location: Parts Unknown
Re: Justin Herbert vs. Taylor Alie
No ONE wanted to listen to me last winter when I suggested Uncle Phil have a talk with Toa and Alana about Marcus and a "futures" contract with his endorsement deal at Nike...in 2016srsmiley007 wrote:I wonder where we would have been this year with MM. Likely undefeated.

-
srsmiley007
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 745
- Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:26 am
Re: Justin Herbert vs. Taylor Alie
Im with you. Shoot we would be throwing up 80 a game.Duck07 wrote:No ONE wanted to listen to me last winter when I suggested Uncle Phil have a talk with Toa and Alana about Marcus and a "futures" contract with his endorsement deal at Nike...in 2016srsmiley007 wrote:I wonder where we would have been this year with MM. Likely undefeated.![]()
-
wlduck
- Sophomore
- Posts: 1722
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:19 pm
Re: Justin Herbert vs. Taylor Alie
Do you know Lockie well enough to take a shot at his heart? It's obvious he doesn't have the talent to be in the seat, but I wouldnt criticize his "heart or gumption" unless I have some kind of specific information that says he's lazy or has other personality issues holding him down. It's probably very difficult for a kid like Lockie. I don't think he's dumb, so everyday at practice he sees that he is not as gifted as other players.srsmiley007 wrote:Too true. Development has gone out the window these days. They all want to play within the 1st or 2nd year or they're gone. I applaud Lockie for staying but his arm and ability to play at game speed just isn't there. If Alie could throw on target for more than 15 yards I would love to see him ascend because he is super quick/fast but he too struggles with his arm/accuracy and his head. I wonder where we would have been this year with MM. Likely undefeated.dthomas=ddixon wrote:Man, that Herbert kool aid is looking mighty tasty... I'm just going to sip it for now. Keep it up and I'll be chugging it before too long though.
I always have to remind myself that Mahalak is still only a RSF. It seems like there's countless guys who took 2-3 years before it clicked and once it did they were studs. We just put so much expectation on these kids, QBs especially, that if they don't blow everyone away their first day on campus we can kind of forget about them. Plus that's just the culture, kids simply don't wait around until their SR year to start, if they aren't the guy right away then they leave. Which is also a huge contributor to these QB recruits seeming never panning out. They can't because they're long gone by the time an opportunity arises.
I also want to add that Lockie has neither the heart nor the gumption to be in the combat seat. Max legroom won't be getting his.
While I'm pouring all of the Herbert Koolaid and hyped because of his physical attributes, pocket awareness progressions and accuracy and what I see as his intangibles, the delta is always their head. How they think, how fast they make decisions(good decisions), how fast can they assimilate a playbook, etc. So while I'm interpreting what I've seen and heard, they're still just kids. They can get dethroned by a hot girl or their fraternity. The reality is it's a crapshoot but with no heir apparent for next season, I'm crossing my fingers for this kid to be mature and focused and based upon his apparent year round focus on sports I'm making the assumption that his dedication to winning overrides any need to smoke a joint every night, or pass up gamefilm or playbook study for a party.
We'll see. Like I stated in of the other topics, if we don't take a JUCO QB and Herbert is an early enrollee they either believe in him, TJ or Morgan to take the reigns next season. With the Lockie/Alie and our awful Defense (only because of the DC), it's clear that we can't exceed 6 wins without a good-to-elite QB at the helm.
It's like criticizing a kid who is 5'-10" with no vertical leap because he can't dunk.
- UofDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 3944
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:51 pm
Re: Justin Herbert vs. Taylor Alie
Or 5' 11" 
- Duck07
- All-American
- Posts: 17123
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
- Location: Parts Unknown
Re: Justin Herbert vs. Taylor Alie
I've got a 5'10" buddy who can dunk. Snoop isn't more than 5'11" and he can throw it down. Wait, what were we talking about again? Lol

-
dthomas=ddixon
- Moderator

- Posts: 8651
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:42 pm
- Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Re: Justin Herbert vs. Taylor Alie
I was quoting a key and peele skit. A joke.wlduck wrote:Do you know Lockie well enough to take a shot at his heart? It's obvious he doesn't have the talent to be in the seat, but I wouldnt criticize his "heart or gumption" unless I have some kind of specific information that says he's lazy or has other personality issues holding him down. It's probably very difficult for a kid like Lockie. I don't think he's dumb, so everyday at practice he sees that he is not as gifted as other players.srsmiley007 wrote:Too true. Development has gone out the window these days. They all want to play within the 1st or 2nd year or they're gone. I applaud Lockie for staying but his arm and ability to play at game speed just isn't there. If Alie could throw on target for more than 15 yards I would love to see him ascend because he is super quick/fast but he too struggles with his arm/accuracy and his head. I wonder where we would have been this year with MM. Likely undefeated.dthomas=ddixon wrote:Man, that Herbert kool aid is looking mighty tasty... I'm just going to sip it for now. Keep it up and I'll be chugging it before too long though.
I always have to remind myself that Mahalak is still only a RSF. It seems like there's countless guys who took 2-3 years before it clicked and once it did they were studs. We just put so much expectation on these kids, QBs especially, that if they don't blow everyone away their first day on campus we can kind of forget about them. Plus that's just the culture, kids simply don't wait around until their SR year to start, if they aren't the guy right away then they leave. Which is also a huge contributor to these QB recruits seeming never panning out. They can't because they're long gone by the time an opportunity arises.
I also want to add that Lockie has neither the heart nor the gumption to be in the combat seat. Max legroom won't be getting his.
While I'm pouring all of the Herbert Koolaid and hyped because of his physical attributes, pocket awareness progressions and accuracy and what I see as his intangibles, the delta is always their head. How they think, how fast they make decisions(good decisions), how fast can they assimilate a playbook, etc. So while I'm interpreting what I've seen and heard, they're still just kids. They can get dethroned by a hot girl or their fraternity. The reality is it's a crapshoot but with no heir apparent for next season, I'm crossing my fingers for this kid to be mature and focused and based upon his apparent year round focus on sports I'm making the assumption that his dedication to winning overrides any need to smoke a joint every night, or pass up gamefilm or playbook study for a party.
We'll see. Like I stated in of the other topics, if we don't take a JUCO QB and Herbert is an early enrollee they either believe in him, TJ or Morgan to take the reigns next season. With the Lockie/Alie and our awful Defense (only because of the DC), it's clear that we can't exceed 6 wins without a good-to-elite QB at the helm.
It's like criticizing a kid who is 5'-10" with no vertical leap because he can't dunk.

-
wlduck
- Sophomore
- Posts: 1722
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:19 pm
Re: Justin Herbert vs. Taylor Alie
Ok. I didn't mean to get all up on my high horse there. I just get a little sensitive about criticizing kids for something other than how they play. Probably a little too touchy there.
-
srsmiley007
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 745
- Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:26 am
Re: Justin Herbert vs. Taylor Alie
Sorry Mrs. Lockie.wlduck wrote:Ok. I didn't mean to get all up on my high horse there. I just get a little sensitive about criticizing kids for something other than how they play. Probably a little too touchy there.
