Page 4 of 9

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:55 pm
by MFRDuckFan
Chip isn't going to change his mind, so it's really a moot point now. We need to focus on moving on & at least LGB can stay at school if he wants to.

So besides LaMichael James, who do we have & how do we make this whole thing work out? Can LMJ take us to the promised land?

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:13 pm
by woundedknees
LMJ, Alston, Crenshaw... (Jide Shinaba??? Who's that?) Oh, yeah! And that Barner guy?

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:32 pm
by EncinitasDuck
MFRDuckFan are you kidding me, you're calling Hout the bully here? Sure he taunted and talked some smack, but its not like Blount hasn't been talking smack for a few months now. I agree there's no room for taunting, but Hout did not punch his own teammate nor go on a 2 minute rampage through the stadium. I'm betting that if this whole incident had ended with the single punch to Hout's jaw then it would have been a 2-3 game suspension and life goes on. But this kid went ballistic. I don't think the team nor the University can just sweep it under the carpet and wait for the next time.

This is definitely a blow to our season, but I doubt it has much impact on our future recruiting and the suspension has demonstrated that our University is above, and will not tolerate, this kind of behavior. Had they been soft and it happened again we would have had to endure another 24 hour SportsCenter beat down and then I believe we go into a spiral that may take a while to climb out of.

Nip it in the bud and move on.

Go Ducks!

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:36 pm
by MFRDuckFan
EncinitasDuck wrote:MFRDuckFan are you kidding me, you're calling Hout the bully here? Sure he taunted and talked some smack, but its not like Blount hasn't been talking smack for a few months now. I agree there's no room for taunting, but Hout did not punch his own teammate nor go on a 2 minute rampage through the stadium. I'm betting that if this whole incident had ended with the single punch to Hout's jaw then it would have been a 2-3 game suspension and life goes on. But this kid went ballistic. I don't think the team nor the University can just sweep it under the carpet and wait for the next time.

This is definitely a blow to our season, but I doubt it has much impact on our future recruiting and the suspension has demonstrated that our University is above, and will not tolerate, this kind of behavior. Had they been soft and it happened again we would have had to endure another 24 hour SportsCenter beat down and then I believe we go into a spiral that may take a while to climb out of.

Nip it in the bud and move on.

Go Ducks!
None of this happens if Hout keeps his mouth shut. Peterson is restraining the kid before Blount punches him so obviously the kid is out of control. Yes, bully. I am not condoning what Blount did before or after the game, but none of this happens if Hout holds his tongue. Like I said.....it's a moot point. We have to move forward and get the team focused for Purdue.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:59 pm
by huckthefuskies
Zenitram wrote:Am I the only one that thinks Hout doesn't deserve a suspension? Yeah he obviously trash talked, but so do lots of folks....
nope

Hout was pretty classless and unsportsmanlike for sure, but so were probably quite a few other players last night including Ducks. Trash talking is pretty common out there and there are always some that will take it farther downhill than others.

Besides, if Blount could have snapped out of it after the punch and went to the locker room to calm down I bet we would be seeing him suited up by the cal game. If he would have just turned and pushed Hout instead of punching him after he turned his head away then they both might have gotten similar punishments...

If he stays in shape and keeps working out he will still get his shot at the combines. The nfl has proven for a long time that they will overlook things like brains/work ethic/character ect in exchange for height/weight/speed/agility and potential 90% of the time. Luckily Blount excells in the second group. No matter what though I bet last night cost him millions.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:29 pm
by monster
Worse than Blount, no suspension:

Image

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:40 pm
by monster
Nearly. Ain't it a kick in the head?

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:14 am
by wheaton4prez
Hugely disappointed with the punishment. I think it's a miscarriage of justice and shows the exact opposite of what Canzano claims it does of Kelly. He took the easy way out for himself by giving in to public pressure rather than taking heat for his player. It cost a talented young man who has worked the better part of his life toward, most likely, an entire career. Leaving the kid with, realistically, nowhere to go. The more I think about it, the more it makes me want to puke.

I think it's a disgrace for fans to judge Blount's actions so flippantly.

Honestly, when I hear people dismissing Blount with the ease that they are, the image that pops into my mind is actually the faces of those BSU fans that were taunting Blount on his way out. The faces of crass self-indulgence, chasing the joy of belittling another person, hiding behind security guards and the BS notion that behavior only acceptable at a klan rally is ok because it's being done as a fan. It's the same thing. A mass of people calling for something that costs a person so much over the most trifling of difference to themselves.

There is no resulting damage or injury that any victim has to live with. Nobody is confused about whether or not it was a bad decision on Blount's part. Other players are going to make mistakes too, regardless of whether or not some player before them was punished super-severely or just severely. This punishment was about nothing but indulging a witch hunt so that people can pat themselves on the back about how great they think they are.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:59 am
by pudgejeff
And it was a a bad decision made with emotion...The Suspension that is...Made less than 24 hours after and taking away a young man's livelyhood and everything he's worked for...I'm sorry but it's just ridiculous...If it would have happened during the game the steepest penalty mandated by the NCAA is a 1 game suspension...And we give him a year?...It truly does make me sick inside and if it comes to be that it was actually Chip's decision and this is how he plans to be I hope it's a short stay as a coach here at the University of Oregon, and 2 days I don't think I could imagine myself thinking or saying that...I guess a whole lot sure can change in a short amount of time.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:48 am
by wheaton4prez
To be fair. I think Kelly is genuine. I don't doubt that he has taken this situation hard himself and that he truly believes it's the right thing for the program.

He has just misread the irrational, immediate aftermath of the situation to mean that the right thing to do was to react to it with the biggest statement possible. Because that was obviously the clearest path to shutting everyone up about it as quickly as possible.

Everything he said about Oregon not supporting that behavior, etc. could have been effectively enforced with a more even handed punishment. And it's doubtful that the stronger punishment served any useful function for any party involved. Take Blount's own case for instance. Does anyone really believe that, had any Oregon coach punished any previous player more severely for their misconduct, that that would have factored into Blount's decision to punch Hout? How many former Duck players that were disciplined does Blount (or any other player) even know about?

If distractions are a concern, how is having a player around practice who can't play in games not be a distraction from preparing for games? At best, he will take time away from that. At worst, there will always be tension between teammates and coaches who are friends with and care about Blount and wish that he could be allowed to play. I don't see how the dynamic is going to work spending an entire season pitying Blount at workouts and practice.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:59 am
by greenyellow
I think him practicing with the team and finishing his degree could actually help him in the eyes of NFL teams. If he stays in shape and shows that he's not a malcontent,, it would show he is taking responsibility for his actions and will continue to work through whatever. By him staying in practices, it would allow him to stay in shape and get ready for NFL scout workouts. Him finishing his degree would also show a level of maturity that the NFL execs want.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:13 am
by Greydrake
Greenyellow that has been my point,...redemption through showing his character from off field dedication.

I'll defend MFRduck here, rumour is that Hout made reference to Blounts dead aunt, a VERY emotional issue; that is the action of a bully, it had nothing to do with Blounts comments prior to the game. He touched on an issue well outside the game.

If true, BSU is going to come out of this game with duck egg on their face, an irrepairable reputation and NO chance of getting another BCS school visiting.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:35 pm
by greenyellow
Greydrake wrote:Greenyellow that has been my point,...redemption through showing his character from off field dedication.

I'll defend MFRduck here, rumour is that Hout made reference to Blounts dead aunt, a VERY emotional issue; that is the action of a bully, it had nothing to do with Blounts comments prior to the game. He touched on an issue well outside the game.

If true, BSU is going to come out of this game with duck egg on their face, an irrepairable reputation and NO chance of getting another BCS school visiting.
John Saunders and Jesse Palmer on ABC's pregame coverage said that BSU should suspend Hout since the incident wouldn't have happened without him and makes BSU look like they condone that behavior.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:29 pm
by duckscribe
I keep asking if anyone has information about what the BS player said. I heard from sources that he said, "How's your aunt." That refers to the lady who died several weeks ago before LGB could arrive to say Goodbye. She was a major player in his life.

It does not make his behavior any better but at least give us the other side.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:32 pm
by dthomas=ddixon
greenyellow wrote:
Greydrake wrote:Greenyellow that has been my point,...redemption through showing his character from off field dedication.

I'll defend MFRduck here, rumour is that Hout made reference to Blounts dead aunt, a VERY emotional issue; that is the action of a bully, it had nothing to do with Blounts comments prior to the game. He touched on an issue well outside the game.

If true, BSU is going to come out of this game with duck egg on their face, an irrepairable reputation and NO chance of getting another BCS school visiting.
John Saunders and Jesse Palmer on ABC's pregame coverage said that BSU should suspend Hout since the incident wouldn't have happened without him and makes BSU look like they condone that behavior.
That's becaus they DO condone it. Two blantant cheap shots by their players lasy year & there was zero disciplinary action from their coaching staff. Imagine if Ward laid a cheap shot that got him ejected last year. MB would have been IN HIS FACE the second he reached the sideline. Last year Jeron Johnson just got a bunch of high fives & fist bumps. Now this year their player instigates a near brawl & he's "gonna be talked to".