He wants to play with his bro and if a school is willing to take his bro, then he'd rather go there. I get what you're saying, but I also don't blame him for his request.droop10 wrote:There have been rumors that Sopsher's brother might not even qualify. If that's the case, it might not even cost a schollie. Then, it's just the symbolic notion of extending the offer, which would be ideal. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of allowing prospects to essentially blackmail coaches to get them to consider their school, so I'm hoping this is just a symbolic offer. I guess we'll see. I'm still a bit skeptical that they have a legitimate shot at him.
Ismael Sopsher
Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1
- UOducksTK1
- Site Admin

- Posts: 40569
- Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
- GM: Boston Celtics GM
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Re: Ismael Sopsher

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
-
maxduck
- Senior
- Posts: 3763
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm
Re: Ismael Sopsher
I think both Troy Dye and Justin Herbert will take the field at Autzen next year in part because they want to play with their brothers.
-
droop10
- Freshman
- Posts: 1413
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:07 am
Re: Ismael Sopsher
Yes, and that's great. Both of their brothers were worthy of offers, and received them on their own merit. Neither one of those guys was recruited to play here, because their brothers demanded they receive a scholarship or else. I can respect that Sopsher wants to play with his brother, but it's a different situation in my opinion. His brother wouldn't ordinarily receive any D1 offers, because he isn't talented enough, but Ishmael is refusing to sign with a team that won't bring along his undeserving brother.maxduck wrote:I think both Troy Dye and Justin Herbert will take the field at Autzen next year in part because they want to play with their brothers.
I see people talking about processing players that are struggling for playing time on the current team, but then they're willing to waste a scholarship on a player that didn't earn it in the first place? So, we're saying that they're essentially going to force guys out, because they need room for more talented players, but then they should proceed to take up one of those spots with a player that is more than likely less talented than one of the players leaving? Interesting way to look at things.
-
karlhungis
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7990
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:08 am
Re: Ismael Sopsher
Do you think that the combined benefit of having a highly rated DT and a warm body is greater or less than the combined benefit of having the two warm bodies that people are thinking may end up being processed? In scenario A: you most likely get years of production from a starting caliber player and likely no production from the other player. In scenario B: you get no production at all from either player.droop10 wrote:Yes, and that's great. Both of their brothers were worthy of offers, and received them on their own merit. Neither one of those guys was recruited to play here, because their brothers demanded they receive a scholarship or else. I can respect that Sopsher wants to play with his brother, but it's a different situation in my opinion. His brother wouldn't ordinarily receive any D1 offers, because he isn't talented enough, but Ishmael is refusing to sign with a team that won't bring along his undeserving brother.maxduck wrote:I think both Troy Dye and Justin Herbert will take the field at Autzen next year in part because they want to play with their brothers.
I see people talking about processing players that are struggling for playing time on the current team, but then they're willing to waste a scholarship on a player that didn't earn it in the first place? So, we're saying that they're essentially going to force guys out, because they need room for more talented players, but then they should proceed to take up one of those spots with a player that is more than likely less talented than one of the players leaving? Interesting way to look at things.
I think it makes total sense from a business standpoint and we would be foolish not to at least try.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
-
droop10
- Freshman
- Posts: 1413
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:07 am
Re: Ismael Sopsher
Eh, I understand what you're getting at, and that college football is ultimately a business. However, I still naively like to look at this from the perspective of doing the right thing. I don't think the right thing is to push a kid out that has earned a spot on the team, because he may be a little lower on the depth chart, especially not for a kid that's even less deserving of a spot. If they were offering his brother a preferred walk-on spot or something along those lines, it'd be different. However, we're talking about being tight on scholarships, and yet wasting one on a kid that will likely never play.karlhungis wrote:Do you think that the combined benefit of having a highly rated DT and a warm body is greater or less than the combined benefit of having the two warm bodies that people are thinking may end up being processed? In scenario A: you most likely get years of production from a starting caliber player and likely no production from the other player. In scenario B: you get no production at all from either player.droop10 wrote:Yes, and that's great. Both of their brothers were worthy of offers, and received them on their own merit. Neither one of those guys was recruited to play here, because their brothers demanded they receive a scholarship or else. I can respect that Sopsher wants to play with his brother, but it's a different situation in my opinion. His brother wouldn't ordinarily receive any D1 offers, because he isn't talented enough, but Ishmael is refusing to sign with a team that won't bring along his undeserving brother.maxduck wrote:I think both Troy Dye and Justin Herbert will take the field at Autzen next year in part because they want to play with their brothers.
I see people talking about processing players that are struggling for playing time on the current team, but then they're willing to waste a scholarship on a player that didn't earn it in the first place? So, we're saying that they're essentially going to force guys out, because they need room for more talented players, but then they should proceed to take up one of those spots with a player that is more than likely less talented than one of the players leaving? Interesting way to look at things.
I think it makes total sense from a business standpoint and we would be foolish not to at least try.
Also, I get the feeling that Sopsher might be overrated. From what I read, he struggled at the all-star games, and he dropped about 60 spots in the last Rivals ranking. I know his ranking will end up meaning nothing at the end of the day, but the fact that he struggled against other highly talented high schoolers could be cause for concern. Is he all that he's cracked up to be? I know highly rated DTs are rare, especially on the west coast, and don't get me wrong, I'd still be more than happy to have him on the team, but I'm not sure he's worth wasting the extra scholarship on.
In the end, I think the point will be moot, because I don't see Ishmael coming to Oregon (I'd be happy to be wrong. Feel free to call me out on it then), and if he does, I get the sense his brother might not qualify anyway.
-
jimmy12
- Senior
- Posts: 2823
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am
Re: Ismael Sopsher
droop10 wrote:Yes, and that's great. Both of their brothers were worthy of offers, and received them on their own merit. Neither one of those guys was recruited to play here, because their brothers demanded they receive a scholarship or else. I can respect that Sopsher wants to play with his brother, but it's a different situation in my opinion. His brother wouldn't ordinarily receive any D1 offers, because he isn't talented enough, but Ishmael is refusing to sign with a team that won't bring along his undeserving brother.maxduck wrote:I think both Troy Dye and Justin Herbert will take the field at Autzen next year in part because they want to play with their brothers.
I see people talking about processing players that are struggling for playing time on the current team, but then they're willing to waste a scholarship on a player that didn't earn it in the first place? So, we're saying that they're essentially going to force guys out, because they need room for more talented players, but then they should proceed to take up one of those spots with a player that is more than likely less talented than one of the players leaving? Interesting way to look at things.
On what are you basing that his brother didn't deserve in the first place? undeserving?
Candidly, I don't have a clue, but I am guessing you are basing your opinion solely on stars and not facts. Let's get the facts before we draw conclusions.
-
TualatinDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 2439
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:23 am
- Location: Tualatin
Re: Ismael Sopsher
My biggest issue with Rodney is he is 6'2" and 252. How on earth is that a D lineman? Thats linebacker territory.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
-
kingk1
- One Star Recruit
- Posts: 44
- Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:03 pm
Re: Ismael Sopsher
And as someone else said he lacks quickness. That likely won't improve as he adds weight. But I think ducks should still take him if they can get his brother as well
-
droop10
- Freshman
- Posts: 1413
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:07 am
Re: Ismael Sopsher
It could also be that he only has 2 D1 offers, and they both happen to be teams that are high on Ishmael's list. I'll be honest, I tried to look up Juco stats, but could find nothing. I thought I'd read somewhere that he didn't even play at the Juco this year, but that could definitely be wrong. He's a vastly undersized DT that didn't stand out at Juco. How do we think that will translate to D1? Unless he's miraculously Nick Fairley, I don't see that he's deserving of a spot on the team.jimmy12 wrote:droop10 wrote:Yes, and that's great. Both of their brothers were worthy of offers, and received them on their own merit. Neither one of those guys was recruited to play here, because their brothers demanded they receive a scholarship or else. I can respect that Sopsher wants to play with his brother, but it's a different situation in my opinion. His brother wouldn't ordinarily receive any D1 offers, because he isn't talented enough, but Ishmael is refusing to sign with a team that won't bring along his undeserving brother.maxduck wrote:I think both Troy Dye and Justin Herbert will take the field at Autzen next year in part because they want to play with their brothers.
I see people talking about processing players that are struggling for playing time on the current team, but then they're willing to waste a scholarship on a player that didn't earn it in the first place? So, we're saying that they're essentially going to force guys out, because they need room for more talented players, but then they should proceed to take up one of those spots with a player that is more than likely less talented than one of the players leaving? Interesting way to look at things.
On what are you basing that his brother didn't deserve in the first place? undeserving?
Candidly, I don't have a clue, but I am guessing you are basing your opinion solely on stars and not facts. Let's get the facts before we draw conclusions.
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: Ismael Sopsher
Just throwing this out for perspective-
If you tried to use this strategy for a whole team -- 1 highly rated player paired with one player of suspect D1 ability -- you'd end up with a dramatically thin football team, a few busts and/or a few injuries away from bombing.
Not saying you can't do it selectively, but just... be careful.
If you tried to use this strategy for a whole team -- 1 highly rated player paired with one player of suspect D1 ability -- you'd end up with a dramatically thin football team, a few busts and/or a few injuries away from bombing.
Not saying you can't do it selectively, but just... be careful.
-
jimmy12
- Senior
- Posts: 2823
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am
Re: Ismael Sopsher
Agreed.StevensTechU wrote:Just throwing this out for perspective-
If you tried to use this strategy for a whole team -- 1 highly rated player paired with one player of suspect D1 ability -- you'd end up with a dramatically thin football team, a few busts and/or a few injuries away from bombing.
Not saying you can't do it selectively, but just... be careful.
- greenyellow
- Moderator

- Posts: 39213
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
- Location: Eugene, OR
Re: Ismael Sopsher
Why even throw this out there if we all know this is being done selectively? I think it goes without saying this would be a dumb strategy for a full team. Cristobal and the coaches see a position of need late in the game and are doing what it takes to fill it.StevensTechU wrote:Just throwing this out for perspective-
If you tried to use this strategy for a whole team -- 1 highly rated player paired with one player of suspect D1 ability -- you'd end up with a dramatically thin football team, a few busts and/or a few injuries away from bombing.
Not saying you can't do it selectively, but just... be careful.

-
woundedknees
- All-American
- Posts: 12821
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:06 pm
Re: Ismael Sopsher
It's already a tactic Oregon has employed sparingly in the past... Taj and Ty Griffin come to mind.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!


-
droop10
- Freshman
- Posts: 1413
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:07 am
Re: Ismael Sopsher
Eh, even with that, at least Ty came over from a D1 school. He had the athletic ability to play at the D1 level, it just never clicked at the CB spot. I'm not completely opposed to package deals, as long as both players warrant D1 scholarships.woundedknees wrote:It's already a tactic Oregon has employed sparingly in the past... Taj and Ty Griffin come to mind.
I don't think Sopsher would even get a sniff from a D1 school if it weren't for his brother. That could be evidenced by the fact that he hasn't gotten those offers. One would think that some lower tier schools would take a flier on him if they thought he had the talent to play D1, but none of them did.
- Duck07
- All-American
- Posts: 17123
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
- Location: Parts Unknown
Re: Ismael Sopsher
Since it was thrown out that Rodney may not qualify, would that be his ability to transfer up period or just come down to admission requirements between Oregon and LSU?
