Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1
-
GoDucksIn09
- Senior
- Posts: 3086
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:15 am
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
Just be sure don't drink Corona Beer. I have heard can get virus from it. Hahaha.
- OregonFan4Life
- All-American
- Posts: 15153
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:32 pm
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
Guess this is more serious than I thought. I am a tax accountant so no way my office will ever close unfortunately.

- pezsez1
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 6293
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:30 pm
- Location: RIP CITY
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
Please, everyone, take this seriously. This is not hype.
More than 200 people died in Italy today from this. By comparison, that's roughly how many people die here per day from the flu during flu season.
The difference is the flu exists in multiple strains, has been around forever, and nobody cares about it because the mortality rate is so freaking low. COVID-19 has only been in Italy for a couple months and already we're at 200 deaths/day.
It's going to get a lot worse here... I'll be shocked if there's football this season. We'll see what happens, but COVID-19 isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
More than 200 people died in Italy today from this. By comparison, that's roughly how many people die here per day from the flu during flu season.
The difference is the flu exists in multiple strains, has been around forever, and nobody cares about it because the mortality rate is so freaking low. COVID-19 has only been in Italy for a couple months and already we're at 200 deaths/day.
It's going to get a lot worse here... I'll be shocked if there's football this season. We'll see what happens, but COVID-19 isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
- duckduckgoose
- Five Star Recruit
- Posts: 1117
- Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:45 pm
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
Most people haven’t been tested, availability of test kits being a serious problem. Even workers at the rest home in Seattle where the virus has hit hardest haven’t all been tested.EncinitasDuck wrote:Definition of Pandemic - "prevalent over a whole country or the world" With 1000 documented cases in the US I'd say we've hardly reached that point yet. Could we, possibly, but certainly not yet. Neither China or Italy have reached Pandemic so let's pump the brakes on the use of such extreme words.StevensTechU wrote:It's a global pandemic that has hit American shores. I would have to say that if the media didn't cover this, it would be beyond negligent on their part.
If the mortality rate is anywhere between 1% and 3.4%, as reported, that's incredibly high. Lets say it's 2%, and it infects a quarter of the American population. That's 1.6 million dead Americans. To boot, there's the increase in people who need hospitalization stressing that system, and then finally what the economic slowdown means to jobs -- hundreds of thousands, likely millions, losing their jobs, if this isn't contained quickly. Even if the first two things don't materialize, the last can be true.
So yea. I'd say it's proper for the media to cover this. I'd also say it would be prudent for them to spend more of their time scrutinizing how unprepared we have been as a country and how that happened.
Panic does not equal reality.
If test kits were available and everyone showing symptoms had been tested the number of cases would be much higher.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
- UofDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 3944
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:51 pm
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
Quick question, does the Corona virus have a “season” similar to the flu? The “flu season”. In other words, will it fizzle when summer comes?
- DuckMastaFunk
- Five Star Recruit
- Posts: 1044
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:07 pm
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
I'm guessing there will be a vaccine by fall.pezsez1 wrote:Please, everyone, take this seriously. This is not hype.
More than 200 people died in Italy today from this. By comparison, that's roughly how many people die here per day from the flu during flu season.
The difference is the flu exists in multiple strains, has been around forever, and nobody cares about it because the mortality rate is so freaking low. COVID-19 has only been in Italy for a couple months and already we're at 200 deaths/day.![]()
It's going to get a lot worse here... I'll be shocked if there's football this season. We'll see what happens, but COVID-19 isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
-
maxduck
- Senior
- Posts: 3763
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
Quick answer is we don't know for certain as it is a new virus. In winter cold and wet weather stresses the immune system while indoor air is warmed and recirculated so I expect there will be seasonal variations in infection rates.
- Alan
- Senior
- Posts: 4359
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:17 pm
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
I was wondering similar, doesn’t sound like it has a season but just a guess. I was wondering how long you have it before it passes.UofDuck wrote:Quick question, does the Corona virus have a “season” similar to the flu? The “flu season”. In other words, will it fizzle when summer comes?
I have heard from medical sites they are hoping for a vaccine for human trails by the end of April.
Now for a couple of you who do not read post so well, this is very serious and while the media is helping a lot, they do not need to spread rumors, just facts!
I spoke with a very good friend I have known since Jr. High, he is a retired firefighter in the Salem/Keizer district. Yesterday firefighters in Keizer transported a patient who tested positive, now three confirmed cases in the Salem area. Five firefighters are now under quarantine. Time to be aware and take action to help protect yourself and family. For me this is no longer a joke, my dad is 88 and failing, mom is 83.... they live in Keizer.
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
Sorry to hear that. I'm sure it adds quite a bit of stress to the situation. I hope they stay in good shape until it all has passed.Alan wrote:I was wondering similar, doesn’t sound like it has a season but just a guess. I was wondering how long you have it before it passes.UofDuck wrote:Quick question, does the Corona virus have a “season” similar to the flu? The “flu season”. In other words, will it fizzle when summer comes?
I have heard from medical sites they are hoping for a vaccine for human trails by the end of April.
Now for a couple of you who do not read post so well, this is very serious and while the media is helping a lot, they do not need to spread rumors, just facts!
I spoke with a very good friend I have known since Jr. High, he is a retired firefighter in the Salem/Keizer district. Yesterday firefighters in Keizer transported a patient who tested positive, now three confirmed cases in the Salem area. Five firefighters are now under quarantine. Time to be aware and take action to help protect yourself and family. For me this is no longer a joke, my dad is 88 and failing, mom is 83.... they live in Keizer.
- OregonFan4Life
- All-American
- Posts: 15153
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:32 pm
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
I agree, I think this has spread a lot more than people realize and I'm sure it's been in Lane County and people had it without realizing it cause of how weak the symptoms are if you aren't elderly and/or have pre-existing conditions. Just read about a 35 year old woman in Oregon that had it and just got out of quarantine and said she hardly felt a thing, just a slight fever and cough. But as the belief comes to fruition that more people have this than we realize, it's funny to see how there will be two different reactions. The worriers will be all afraid that it's spread more than we realize, while the people like me that aren't worried see it as that means the fatality rate is actually way lower than what's being documented.duckduckgoose wrote:Most people haven’t been tested, availability of test kits being a serious problem. Even workers at the rest home in Seattle where the virus has hit hardest haven’t all been tested.EncinitasDuck wrote:Definition of Pandemic - "prevalent over a whole country or the world" With 1000 documented cases in the US I'd say we've hardly reached that point yet. Could we, possibly, but certainly not yet. Neither China or Italy have reached Pandemic so let's pump the brakes on the use of such extreme words.StevensTechU wrote:It's a global pandemic that has hit American shores. I would have to say that if the media didn't cover this, it would be beyond negligent on their part.
If the mortality rate is anywhere between 1% and 3.4%, as reported, that's incredibly high. Lets say it's 2%, and it infects a quarter of the American population. That's 1.6 million dead Americans. To boot, there's the increase in people who need hospitalization stressing that system, and then finally what the economic slowdown means to jobs -- hundreds of thousands, likely millions, losing their jobs, if this isn't contained quickly. Even if the first two things don't materialize, the last can be true.
So yea. I'd say it's proper for the media to cover this. I'd also say it would be prudent for them to spend more of their time scrutinizing how unprepared we have been as a country and how that happened.
Panic does not equal reality.
If test kits were available and everyone showing symptoms had been tested the number of cases would be much higher.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

- justducky0
- Senior
- Posts: 2012
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:02 pm
- Location: The Real World
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
In times like these I look to medical professionals and how they are reacting to the disease and if they are saying we need to take these measures then I am all for it. A game / conference / concert ect pales in comparison to me when it comes to the health of the ones I love. Yes its shitty that March Madness is being cancelled. But if that saves literally 1 person from dying then I 100% support it. Because even if it is not someone I know, someone knows them and loves them.

- UOducksTK1
- Site Admin

- Posts: 40587
- Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
- GM: Boston Celtics GM
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
Wish we had this heart with things like alcohol.. You know how many deaths and destroyed families are a result of alcohol?justducky0 wrote:In times like these I look to medical professionals and how they are reacting to the disease and if they are saying we need to take these measures then I am all for it. A game / conference / concert ect pales in comparison to me when it comes to the health of the ones I love. Yes its shitty that March Madness is being cancelled. But if that saves literally 1 person from dying then I 100% support it. Because even if it is not someone I know, someone knows them and loves them.
"In 2012, 3.3 million deaths, or 5.9 percent of all global deaths (7.6 percent for men and 4.0 percent for women), were attributable to alcohol consumption"

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
- OregonFan4Life
- All-American
- Posts: 15153
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:32 pm
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
Good point, while we're at it let's keep all high risk people locked in a room for the rest of their lives, don't allow them to drive anywhere, don't let them be exposed to any elements, cause, it's not like death is inevitable anyways, we might as well fight it as much as possible and keep them safe! Why bother enjoying life when it can cause death?!justducky0 wrote:In times like these I look to medical professionals and how they are reacting to the disease and if they are saying we need to take these measures then I am all for it. A game / conference / concert ect pales in comparison to me when it comes to the health of the ones I love. Yes its shitty that March Madness is being cancelled. But if that saves literally 1 person from dying then I 100% support it. Because even if it is not someone I know, someone knows them and loves them.

- OregonFan4Life
- All-American
- Posts: 15153
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:32 pm
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
Yep, I know people, young people, that were killed by drunk drivers. Fact is, no matter who you are, we're all at risk for death every single day of our lives. Taking enjoyment from people, stopping life, just doesn't seem worth it to stop the inevitable. Sure be wise, don't get behind the wheel if you're drunk, don't go out if you have a fever and virus of any kind and avoid spreading it to people, be smart and safe, but you can't control life this much, it's just excessive and unnecessary. I'm sure the players want to play and care more about a chance at a national championship than a chance at getting the coronavirus. This excessive fear is robbing the chance to achieve a dream for young men and women, doesn't seem worth it at all.UOducksTK1 wrote:Wish we had this heart with things like alcohol.. You know how many deaths and destroyed families are a result of alcohol?justducky0 wrote:In times like these I look to medical professionals and how they are reacting to the disease and if they are saying we need to take these measures then I am all for it. A game / conference / concert ect pales in comparison to me when it comes to the health of the ones I love. Yes its shitty that March Madness is being cancelled. But if that saves literally 1 person from dying then I 100% support it. Because even if it is not someone I know, someone knows them and loves them.
"In 2012, 3.3 million deaths, or 5.9 percent of all global deaths (7.6 percent for men and 4.0 percent for women), were attributable to alcohol consumption"

- UOducksTK1
- Site Admin

- Posts: 40587
- Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
- GM: Boston Celtics GM
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
OregonFan4Life wrote:Yep, I know people, young people, that were killed by drunk drivers. Fact is, no matter who you are, we're all at risk for death every single day of our lives. Taking enjoyment from people, stopping life, just doesn't seem worth it to stop the inevitable. Sure be wise, don't get behind the wheel if you're drunk, don't go out if you have a fever and virus of any kind and avoid spreading it to people, be smart and safe, but you can't control life this much, it's just excessive and unnecessary. I'm sure the players want to play and care more about a chance at a national championship than a chance at getting the coronavirus. This excessive fear is robbing the chance to achieve a dream for young men and women, doesn't seem worth it at all.UOducksTK1 wrote:Wish we had this heart with things like alcohol.. You know how many deaths and destroyed families are a result of alcohol?justducky0 wrote:In times like these I look to medical professionals and how they are reacting to the disease and if they are saying we need to take these measures then I am all for it. A game / conference / concert ect pales in comparison to me when it comes to the health of the ones I love. Yes its shitty that March Madness is being cancelled. But if that saves literally 1 person from dying then I 100% support it. Because even if it is not someone I know, someone knows them and loves them.
"In 2012, 3.3 million deaths, or 5.9 percent of all global deaths (7.6 percent for men and 4.0 percent for women), were attributable to alcohol consumption"
If you're 50 years old or older, don't go to group outings. And if you live with someone 50 years or older, don't go to group outings.
There, problem solved. Like you said, if you get sick, stay quarantined. Be wise. If you are old, just work remotely if you have a job, or stay inside as much as possible. And definitely avoid crowded areas if you must go out.
The average age of death in Italy's death count as of yesterday is 81 years old.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13