Amir Garrett makes a decision

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

uostudent
Senior
Posts: 3561
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:03 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Amir Garrett makes a decision

Post by uostudent »

Also curious to see how Garrett's visit went.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Amir Garrett makes a decision

Post by greenyellow »

uostudent wrote:Also curious to see how Garrett's visit went.
Almost surprised that nothing has been written about his visit since he visited Thursday and usually info comes out shortly after. It could be that the visit has changed some things for him and needs more time to decide.
Image
dthomas=ddixon
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8646
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:42 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: Amir Garrett makes a decision

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

greenyellow wrote:
uostudent wrote:Also curious to see how Garrett's visit went.
Almost surprised that nothing has been written about his visit since he visited Thursday and usually info comes out shortly after. It could be that the visit has changed some things for him and needs more time to decide.
Matt has an update on 247. Can't read it though.
Image
BillM
Two Star Recruit
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Amir Garrett makes a decision

Post by BillM »

I think he visited over the weekend rather than take in the Thursday night game.
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Amir Garrett makes a decision

Post by greenyellow »

BillM wrote:I think he visited over the weekend rather than take in the Thursday night game.
Makes sense since he probably couldn't skip classes and make it for an out-of-state visit.
Image
wvduck34
Three Star Recruit
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:38 pm

Re: Amir Garrett makes a decision

Post by wvduck34 »

If we could land this guy it would put us over UW's class for good!! Saw some of his
footage!! WOW!!
uostudent
Senior
Posts: 3561
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:03 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Amir Garrett makes a decision

Post by uostudent »

link
Amir Garrett May Sign in Spring

Amir Garrett is still considering Oregon and St. John’s as his top two schools, but said he may wait until the spring to sign.

“Yes,” the 6-foot-7 Garrett said Tuesday night by phone. “I’m not sure yet. I don’t think I’m going to sign in November. Not too soon. I’m not too sure yet.”

Said Findlay Prep assistant coach Todd Simon: “Amir’s going to be thorough and he’ll know when it feels right. He’s improving on the court by the day.”

Garrett took an official to Oregon last weekend and said he enjoyed talking with head coach Dana Altman about his potential future there.

“I liked it a lot,” Garrett said. “Going up there, seeing what they have. I liked everything about it.”


Asked what Altman told him about his role, Garrett said, “I would come in with Jabari [Brown] and be a big part, be one of the main guys to turn the program around and be in a new arena. Playing in there would really fire up Oregon to get them motivated.”

Garrett said he has no immediate plans to visit St. John’s and is focused on the start of Findlay Prep’s season. They are seeking their third straight national championship.

“I’m not even sure right now,” he said. “I haven’t made a decision whether I’m going to visit yet.”

Garrett said Oregon and St. John’s remain “at the top” of his list, but he also mentioned Cal, Kansas and UNLV.

St. John’s coach Steve Lavin has been out to see Garrett and the two maintain a good rapport.

“He was like, I’ll fit into the program perfectly,” Garrett said. “Him being from the West Coast I’ll be a perfect fit for his program.”


Garrett is aware that St. John’s — which had 10 scholarships to give — has gotten five verbal commitments from some stellar players, including wings Maurice Harkless of Queens and Dominick Pointer of Detroit, as well as guards D’Angelo Harrison and Nurideen Lindsey and forward JaKarr Sampson.

“I’m not really worried about that,” Garrett said. “It doesn’t matter. They’re going there so that’s better for St. John’s and if I go there we’ll all play together and that will be perfect. We’ll win games.”
I guess it's good that he's waiting. I'm really not convinced that Garrett is going to end up at St. John's anymore. I also have a feeling that he won't be going to Oregon either though. I think Garrett is waiting for a better offer (Kansas or UCLA). If that offer doesn't come, then I would think that Oregon would have a decent shot.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
maxduck
Senior
Posts: 3763
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Amir Garrett makes a decision

Post by maxduck »

uostudent wrote:link

Garrett is aware that St. John’s — which had 10 scholarships to give — [/b]
Only three returning scholarship players? What happened, did they have wholesale defections with the coaching change?
duckgrad99
All Pac-12
Posts: 6086
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Amir Garrett makes a decision

Post by duckgrad99 »

I guess we will have to wait and see, although I don't think he chooses Oregon if he takes more visits to other schools. Oregon won't be fresh in his mind.
Image
bellsduck
Senior
Posts: 3819
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:40 am
GM: Utah Jazz

Re: Amir Garrett makes a decision

Post by bellsduck »

[I guess it's good that he's waiting. I'm really not convinced that Garrett is going to end up at St. John's anymore. I also have a feeling that he won't be going to Oregon either though. I think Garrett is waiting for a better offer (Kansas or UCLA). If that offer doesn't come, then I would think that Oregon would have a decent shot.[/quote]

Agreed. But I'd be happy to be wrong.
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Amir Garrett makes a decision

Post by greenyellow »

duckgrad99 wrote:I guess we will have to wait and see, although I don't think he chooses Oregon if he takes more visits to other schools. Oregon won't be fresh in his mind.
They basically experienced what happened to Oregon after Kent was fired.
Image
duckgrad99
All Pac-12
Posts: 6086
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Amir Garrett makes a decision

Post by duckgrad99 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
uostudent wrote:Also curious to see how Garrett's visit went.
Almost surprised that nothing has been written about his visit since he visited Thursday and usually info comes out shortly after. It could be that the visit has changed some things for him and needs more time to decide.
Matt has an update on 247. Can't read it though.

Mops has another recent update. I can't read it either, but it looks like Oregon leads after reading some of the comments.
Image
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Amir Garrett makes a decision

Post by greenyellow »

duckgrad99 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
uostudent wrote:Also curious to see how Garrett's visit went.
Almost surprised that nothing has been written about his visit since he visited Thursday and usually info comes out shortly after. It could be that the visit has changed some things for him and needs more time to decide.
Matt has an update on 247. Can't read it though.

Mops has another recent update. I can't read it either, but it looks like Oregon leads after reading some of the comments.
Would make sense with some of his recent comments on here and his Twitter account.
Image
Post Reply