Ismael Sopsher

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Post by StevensTechU »

greenyellow wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Just throwing this out for perspective-

If you tried to use this strategy for a whole team -- 1 highly rated player paired with one player of suspect D1 ability -- you'd end up with a dramatically thin football team, a few busts and/or a few injuries away from bombing.

Not saying you can't do it selectively, but just... be careful.
Why even throw this out there if we all know this is being done selectively? I think it goes without saying this would be a dumb strategy for a full team. Cristobal and the coaches see a position of need late in the game and are doing what it takes to fill it.
You quoted your answer. Perspective, GY...
User avatar
Phalanx
Senior
Posts: 4995
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Post by Phalanx »

greenyellow wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Just throwing this out for perspective-

If you tried to use this strategy for a whole team -- 1 highly rated player paired with one player of suspect D1 ability -- you'd end up with a dramatically thin football team, a few busts and/or a few injuries away from bombing.

Not saying you can't do it selectively, but just... be careful.
Why even throw this out there if we all know this is being done selectively? I think it goes without saying this would be a dumb strategy for a full team. Cristobal and the coaches see a position of need late in the game and are doing what it takes to fill it.
I think it is a valid point, and highlights exactly what you said: the coaches must be a bit on the desperate side, since two scholarships on one guy doesn't pencil out very well, especially for a team with New Year's bowl aspirations. Either this, or maybe the brother has some potential that everyone is missing to at least to fill back-up reps.
jimmy12
Senior
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Post by jimmy12 »

OR ismael is that dominant of a player that taking his brother is worth it.
duckfan96
Senior
Posts: 2705
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:58 pm

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Post by duckfan96 »

And how does everyone know the brother wont/can’t improveenough to see the field? Cause people can’t improve at their craft under good coaching?
jimmy12
Senior
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Post by jimmy12 »

Exactly my original point. I believe this conclusion is being drawn from his star rating and his offer list. I am not arguing either way about him, but would like to think the coaches know what they are doing here.
User avatar
Alan
Senior
Posts: 4359
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:17 pm

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Post by Alan »

duckfan96 wrote:And how does everyone know the brother wont/can’t improveenough to see the field? Cause people can’t improve at their craft under good coaching?
This has been an interesting thread to follow, I get board with most recruiting threads because, as I have said here several times, it just doesn't matter until the ink is on paper. This thread has me thinking, I'm on the side of sign two to get one. As some have said there is lots of speculation the older bro can't play at this level, that's only a guest at this point. But mostly I support Mario's gamble because I like coach's confidence and since he is throwing the dice I'm with him....win or lose......... but LSU is going to get the boys from LA.
User avatar
Duckenstein
Freshman
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Post by Duckenstein »

duckfan96 wrote:And how does everyone know the brother wont/can’t improveenough to see the field? Cause people can’t improve at their craft under good coaching?
This thread is off the rails

Rodney has two offers, LSU and Oregon

It's easy to follow, Rodney has no offers on his own and ismaels finalists are LSU Oregon and Bama

Bama hadn't offered Rodney, so Ishmael chooses between Oregon and LSU

Also, LSU is not desperate they just signed Ika. They must think Ishmael is worth two scholarships just like Oregon

It's obvious why, because Ishmael is a true Nose and there are very few elite NTs available every year
duckfan96
Senior
Posts: 2705
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:58 pm

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Post by duckfan96 »

So I’m not a recruiting geek/guru whatever ya wanna call it, but who was the last recruit Oregon got..where everyone was like wtf? Why offer him?? That turned into a useful player at Oregon?
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Post by greenyellow »

duckfan96 wrote:So I’m not a recruiting geek/guru whatever ya wanna call it, but who was the last recruit Oregon got..where everyone was like wtf? Why offer him?? That turned into a useful player at Oregon?
I'd say CB Kahlef Hailassie, who Oregon took late on signing day last year out of nowhere but provided some actual depth to that position this past season. Besides him, I'd say maybe Schooler.
Image
User avatar
Phalanx
Senior
Posts: 4995
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Post by Phalanx »

duckfan96 wrote:So I’m not a recruiting geek/guru whatever ya wanna call it, but who was the last recruit Oregon got..where everyone was like wtf? Why offer him?? That turned into a useful player at Oregon?
I can remember people saying that about Jake Pisarcik. Actually, a few linemen: Isaac Remington, and Wade Keliikipi. I think linemen can be a bit of a crapshoot sometimes. Still, I am sure this kid has gotten a lot more exposure than those guys because his brother is so good. The chances of him being a 'diamond in the rough' are probably not great.
duckfan96
Senior
Posts: 2705
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:58 pm

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Post by duckfan96 »

Was Brandon bair a sought after player?
GrandpaDuck
Senior
Posts: 3306
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Post by GrandpaDuck »

duckfan96 wrote:So I’m not a recruiting geek/guru whatever ya wanna call it, but who was the last recruit Oregon got..where everyone was like wtf? Why offer him?? That turned into a useful player at Oregon?
Both Dye brothers. Lamar Winston. Not everyone trahed their offers but all 3 were widely and vocally "doubted" at 247 during their recruitments.
User avatar
ncduck
Senior
Posts: 2189
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:14 am
Location: Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Post by ncduck »

Masoli was a post-signing day guy that fits. Nobody saw that coming.

It's still sad to me how that ended. I guess we're free to choose, but not free to choose the consequences of our choices.
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit
Posts: 305
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:51 am

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Post by AshlandDuck »

duckfan96 wrote:Was Brandon bair a sought after player?

No. He was a low star.
TualatinDuck
Senior
Posts: 2439
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:23 am
Location: Tualatin

Re: Ismael Sopsher

Post by TualatinDuck »

Phalanx wrote:
duckfan96 wrote:So I’m not a recruiting geek/guru whatever ya wanna call it, but who was the last recruit Oregon got..where everyone was like wtf? Why offer him?? That turned into a useful player at Oregon?
I can remember people saying that about Jake Pisarcik. Actually, a few linemen: Isaac Remington, and Wade Keliikipi. I think linemen can be a bit of a crapshoot sometimes. Still, I am sure this kid has gotten a lot more exposure than those guys because his brother is so good. The chances of him being a 'diamond in the rough' are probably not great.
John Boyet
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
Post Reply