Page 7 of 9

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:58 am
by wheaton4prez
Tray Dub wrote:A reasonable person would not consider getting tapped on the shoulder to be assault.
The definition I posted was for battery, not assault. They are not the same thing.
Tray Dub wrote:Hout showed no intent to harm Blount,
Intent to harm is a not a requirement for an act to be battery. It just needs to be reasonably offensive. Your characterization of what Hout did as a "tap" is absurd. A tap is using one finger and gently touching someone. Hout did not "tap" Blount. He struck Blount's shoulder with his entire hand in an unfriendly manner. That is an offensive act in every context I can imagine. Especially so within the context of rubbing someones nose in a loss.
Tray Dub wrote:only to get his attention (so that Hout could mouth off and be a douchebag).
In other words, to be offensive. Yes. He wanted to offend Blount both physically and verbally. That is why it is technically battery.
Tray Dub wrote:If you want to win this argument, you need to show me a precedent where offensive contact has been interpreted THAT broadly.
No I don't. I haven't argued that it has been interpreted that way in the past. Though, I don't doubt that it has. My argument is that what Hout did does fall under the definition of battery. It does and I have proven it to you. I didn't think of it as "winning" but rather pointing out a fact that is relevant to this subject.
Tray Dub wrote:Once again, simply bolding a line or two that doesn't support your argument doesn't make you right.
I'm not sure why you think this "bolding" critique deserves to be repeated. The purpose of bolding lines was to draw your attention to the part of the quote most relevant to our discussion. It was done for your convenience. Not to make an argument right. My argument was shown to be right simply by providing the definitions of battery which, in plain english, explain requirements that Hout's actions fall under.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:56 am
by rcook
Tray dub = not smart... end thread..

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:41 pm
by dthomas=ddixon
rcook wrote:Tray dub = not smart... end thread..
I think its more: wheaton4prez = really smart.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:48 pm
by wheaton4prez
Heh. I appreciate it. But, not really. I'm just industrious if I get worked up about something. :)

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:55 pm
by dthomas=ddixon
Well you sure can put things into words a lot better than most of us. You're post always make perfect sense. Mine? Not so much :lol:

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:05 pm
by Tray Dub
The definition I posted was for battery, not assault. They are not the same thing.
You're right, I misspoke.
Intent to harm is a not a requirement for an act to be battery. It just needs to be reasonably offensive. Your characterization of what Hout did as a "tap" is absurd. A tap is using one finger and gently touching someone. Hout did not "tap" Blount. He struck Blount's shoulder with his entire hand in an unfriendly manner. That is an offensive act in every context I can imagine. Especially so within the context of rubbing someones nose in a loss.
Intent to harm is a reasonable criteria for an act to be deemed offensive, which is part of the criteria for battery.

At this point, this argument is getting ridiculous. I'm not going to count the number of fingers Hout used and then use that to determine whether he did something criminal. He clearly was trying to get Blount's attention, nothing more. Your characterization of it as a slap is what's absurd. If you think that's offensive, then we're just going to have to disagree. I think in no way was just the act of tapping (I'll continue to call it tapping because your one finger definition is news to me, but call if whatever you will) offensive.
In other words, to be offensive. Yes. He wanted to offend Blount both physically and verbally. That is why it is technically battery.
His WORDS were offensive. But we're talking about physical battery, which means his words don't factor into this conversation. I sincerely disagree that his physical actions were intended to do anything offensive to Blount. There's no reason to conclude he had any other motivation other than to get Blount's attention. What he did with Blount's attention is irrelevant.
No I don't. I haven't argued that it has been interpreted that way in the past. Though, I don't doubt that it has. My argument is that what Hout did does fall under the definition of battery. It does and I have proven it to you. I didn't think of it as "winning" but rather pointing out a fact that is relevant to this subject.
Actually, if you want to prove that it falls under the definition of battery, you do need to show that an offensive action includes tapping someone's shoulder. You haven't yet. A precedent would be enough to convince me I'm wrong. But the definition you provided simply isn't enough, because it leaves unclear what exactly IS offensive conduct.
I'm not sure why you think this "bolding" critique deserves to be repeated. The purpose of bolding lines was to draw your attention to the part of the quote most relevant to our discussion. It was done for your convenience. Not to make an argument right. My argument was shown to be right simply by providing the definitions of battery which, in plain english, explain requirements that Hout's actions fall under.
It deserved to be repeated because you bolded a selection from a passage on a website, and then offer no real explanation why that bolded passage proves your point. You bolded offensive conduct, but then didn't explain what exactly is offensive about getting someone's attention by touching his shoulder. Hout wasn't trying to harm Blount with the shoulder tap, he was trying to get his attention.




Ugh, this is a bad argument to have. Neither of them are going to get charged with battery, assault, or anything else.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:08 am
by wheaton4prez
Tray Dub wrote:Intent to harm is a reasonable criteria for an act to be deemed offensive, which is part of the criteria for battery.
Not exactly. Intent to harm is part of the criteria for assault. Causing harm is automatic qualification for battery.
Tray Dub wrote:At this point, this argument is getting ridiculous. I'm not going to count the number of fingers Hout used and then use that to determine whether he did something criminal. He clearly was trying to get Blount's attention, nothing more. Your characterization of it as a slap is what's absurd. If you think that's offensive, then we're just going to have to disagree. I think in no way was just the act of tapping (I'll continue to call it tapping because your one finger definition is news to me, but call if whatever you will) offensive.
tap:
to strike with a light but audible blow or blows; hit with repeated, slight blows: He tapped the door twice.
2. to make, put, etc., by tapping: to tap a nail into a wall.
3. to strike (the fingers, a foot, a pencil, etc.) upon or against something, esp. with repeated light blows: Stop tapping your feet!
4. Basketball. to strike (a ball in the air) in the direction of a teammate or of the basket.
5. to enter information or produce copy by tapping on a keyboard: to tap data into a computer; to tap out a magazine article.
6. to add a thickness of leather to the sole or heel of (a boot or shoe), as in repairing.
–verb (used without object)
7. to strike lightly but audibly, as to attract attention.
8. to strike light blows.
9. to tap-dance.
–noun
10. a light but audible blow: a tap on the shoulder.
11. the sound made by this.
12. a piece of metal attached to the toe or heel of a shoe, as for reinforcement or for making the tapping of a dancer more audible.
13. Basketball. an act or instance of tapping the ball: Hanson got the tap from our center, who, 6prime;9″ tall, couldn't lose a jump ball.
14. a thickness of leather added to the sole or heel of a boot or shoe, as in repairing.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tap

It was not a light blow. Therefore, it was not a tap.

If you did what Hout did to a random stranger walking down the street, they would be offended. Therefore, it is reasonable for Blount to be offended by the strike.
Tray Dub wrote:His WORDS were offensive. But we're talking about physical battery, which means his words don't factor into this conversation. I sincerely disagree that his physical actions were intended to do anything offensive to Blount. There's no reason to conclude he had any other motivation other than to get Blount's attention. What he did with Blount's attention is irrelevant.
The words do factor into this conversation because the context is a factor for battery. For example, as the link I posted explains, a person walking through a crowd cannot reasonably expect not to be touched. However, a football player minding his own business, walking off of a field can reasonably expect people to not seek him out specifically and hit him on the shoulder while taunting him. Therefore, the intent to offend with words makes the hitting of Blount's shoulder offensive, whatever Hout's purpose was for doing it.

If a friend hits my shoulder jokingly because they think I did something wrong, I am not offended. However, if someone I am in a heated argument with does it, it is offensive. The context matters.

Your theory that Hout hit Blount solely to get his attention doesn't make sense because Hout was yelling right into Blount's ear. People tap peoples shoulders when they want to whisper something to them discreetly. Not when they want to yell in their face. There is no way that Hout was concerned that Blount might not be aware of him yelling directly into his ear.

What Hout did is similar to when someone hits someone on the back extra hard in order to sarcastically compliment them. "<slap> Good job buddy!" It's meant to be disrespectful.
Tray Dub wrote:Actually, if you want to prove that it falls under the definition of battery, you do need to show that an offensive action includes tapping someone's shoulder. You haven't yet. A precedent would be enough to convince me I'm wrong. But the definition you provided simply isn't enough, because it leaves unclear what exactly IS offensive conduct.
You don't seem to understand how this law works. What is offensive is not up to you or the person committing battery. It is up to the person who is offended. There is no list that includes or eliminates specific types of things like tapping or hitting.

It has to be non-consensual: check.
It has to be offensive to a reasonable person: check.

It's beyond me how you could question whether or not Blount could reasonably be offended by the strike, given the context of the moment and his words. The entire motivation for Hout was to try and belittle Blount so that he could go back to the locker room and laugh about it with his pals. Obviously, given Blount's reaction, it offended him. If you look closely at the video, it appears that the hit is what offends Blount. Hout hasn't even finished the sentence he was saying before Blount's fist lands on his face.
Tray Dub wrote:It deserved to be repeated because you bolded a selection from a passage on a website, and then offer no real explanation why that bolded passage proves your point. You bolded offensive conduct, but then didn't explain what exactly is offensive about getting someone's attention by touching his shoulder. Hout wasn't trying to harm Blount with the shoulder tap, he was trying to get his attention.
No reason exists for you to think that me bolding something was intended to prove any point. That really is a strange understanding of the purpose of bolding. I bolded "offensive conduct" to emphasize that you don't have to harm or intend to harm someone in order to commit battery. It was done with the intention to clarify why I posted the quote.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:20 am
by wheaton4prez
For anyone interested, a couple of Facebook groups regarding Blount:

Hout got what he deserved: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=127045609183

and

Free LeGarrette Blount: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=159520094907

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:59 am
by woundedknees
I have been keeping quiet for the most part on this particular discussion, but during the time I was a deputy sheriff (Very short... Only a year), All that was necessary to consider battery was a shove. Do it in front of the guys kid, or your own, for that matter, and it becomes a class 4 felony, rather than a misdemeanor.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:28 am
by Tray Dub
I've said my piece, and I don't think either of us are offering anything more to this conversation. I hate to be the guy to end the argument (mostly because my pride/ego doesn't like the idea of me quitting and not getting the last word in), but at a certain point, caring about a conversation enough to argue about what constitutes a tap becomes unhealthy and boring. So I'm done. Rcook and whomever can now call me dumb or whatever at will.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:36 am
by Pontius
Tray Dub wrote:I've said my piece, and I don't think either of us are offering anything more to this conversation. I hate to be the guy to end the argument (mostly because my pride/ego doesn't like the idea of me quitting and not getting the last word in), but at a certain point, caring about a conversation enough to argue about what constitutes a tap becomes unhealthy and boring. So I'm done. Rcook and whomever can now call me dumb or whatever at will.

If it's any consolation, I think you are dumb.


I love when you bring up precedence. If suspending a guy for a season for a punch isn't setting precedence, I don't know what is.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:45 am
by wheaton4prez
Tray Dub wrote:I've said my piece, and I don't think either of us are offering anything more to this conversation. I hate to be the guy to end the argument (mostly because my pride/ego doesn't like the idea of me quitting and not getting the last word in), but at a certain point, caring about a conversation enough to argue about what constitutes a tap becomes unhealthy and boring. So I'm done. Rcook and whomever can now call me dumb or whatever at will.
Fair enough. No hard feelings.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:05 am
by Greydrake
I read comment on one of the threads that I thought was interesting, in that a post game comment by Blount indicating he did not hear actually what was being said. No information as to the obvious follow up question which should have followed, "Were you responding to the push?"

Holy cow that would change the complexion of the action.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:00 pm
by wheaton4prez
Did you guys watch the post game show with Kelly?

They have a different camera angle of the incident and don't use any edits. It looks a lot different the way it took place in normal speed, rather than zoomed in on the punch only in slow motion. Hout comes at Blount at a pretty high speed when he whacks him on the shoulder. Blount clearly is reacting to the physical contact rather than the words.

Re: Bye Bye Blount

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:31 pm
by huckthefuskies
wheaton4prez wrote:Did you guys watch the post game show with Kelly?

They have a different camera angle of the incident and don't use any edits. It looks a lot different the way it took place in normal speed, rather than zoomed in on the punch only in slow motion. Hout comes at Blount at a pretty high speed when he whacks him on the shoulder. Blount clearly is reacting to the physical contact rather than the words.

No matter what he is still out of line... 2 minutes later he is still way way out of line and a minute after that he is still out of line. Let this horse rest