Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Post by pezsez1 »

Dennis Dodd is a ****ing clown and I'm not sure why anyone still trusts him at this point.

Even before seeing all of those tweets setting him straight, I read his "news" report and it screamed of being Big-12 propaganda. His tentpole for that report was a Big-12 official saying "Well this is the first time ESPN has been public about not wanting the Pac-12!" but with no actual reference to any real public statement. :lol: :lol: I mean, seriously, how is Dodd still in the business? And I refuse to believe that he's so dumb that he doesn't know what he's doing.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'd trust that tweet about as much as I trust Dennis Dodd.

It could be true that some coach or assistant coach went off script and said something like this -- but even if true, it doesn't mean anything. The coaches aren't the ones making these decisions or even participating in negotiations. They're hired guns, and most will be gone before our next media deal is halfway finished. All they tell recruits is exactly what they want to hear.

That, and this isn't first-hand reporting, so who knows what was actually said. Could be a parent who is wishing hard for the Pac-12 to disband, or maybe the coach has some personal bias in the matter.

If we want to dive really deep into conspiracies, maybe the Big-12's massive consulting firm that is tasked with trying to destabilize the Pac-12 planted this story. That would actually fit with an easily observable pattern from the past several months. A little crazy, but not too farfetched.

I'll be glad when this is over and we can focus on football again.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Was it USC telling a 2025 recruit that?
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I still don't understand why most people here absolutely want Oregon to stay in the Pac-12, I feel the conference will be extremely hard to notice and exposure won't be good at all if the near-complete streaming deal comes true, I feel Oregon (as well as UW) would be better off being safe in the Big Ten.

Which one would y'all rather watch btw? Oregon vs Ohio State or Oregon vs SMU?
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I still don't understand why most people here absolutely want Oregon to stay in the Pac-12
Most of us want Oregon to get the best-possible situation available at this time. That almost certainly means a Pac-12 media deal with a combination of cable and streaming.

We all get it that a B1G invite would be better for long-term financial sustainability, but it's simply not going to happen right now. That door is closed. We don't bring added profit to B1G schools. That's a power conference, not a soup kitchen. They don't want to pay to invite us. I wouldn't expect them to, either. I certainly wouldn't want Oregon to take a haircut to invite Boise State to the Pac. It's just business.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

pezsez1 wrote:
I still don't understand why most people here absolutely want Oregon to stay in the Pac-12
Most of us want Oregon to get the best-possible situation available at this time. That almost certainly means a Pac-12 media deal with a combination of cable and streaming.

We all get it that a B1G invite would be better for long-term financial sustainability, but it's simply not going to happen right now. That door is closed. We don't bring added profit to B1G schools. That's a power conference, not a soup kitchen. They don't want to pay to invite us. I wouldn't expect them to, either. I certainly wouldn't want Oregon to take a haircut to invite Boise State to the Pac. It's just business.
My main concern at this point with Oregon staying put, isn't about money. If the SEC B1G decided to break away from the ncaa, which it certainly looks like they are gearing up to do at some point in the future, I would prefer that Oregon not be left out.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

squintsdd wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:

My main concern at this point with Oregon staying put, isn't about money. If the SEC B1G decided to break away from the ncaa, which it certainly looks like they are gearing up to do at some point in the future, I would prefer that Oregon not be left out.
1,000% this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Maybe a stupid question, but if the SEC and BIG break away, would it nullify the current new playoff expansion situation?
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Yep, that is my concern, too. Best Oregon can do right now to avoid that is to keep winning games and protect its brand.

And on a bigger level, if the Pac, B12 & ACC can somehow make plans for a third super conference during the next media cycle... that's a tougher hill to climb than simply saying "yes" to an invite but it is definitely a dark horse solution to mostly maintaining the college football landscape.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Everythingsducky wrote:Maybe a stupid question, but if the SEC and BIG break away, would it nullify the current new playoff expansion situation?
It would be a catastrophically dumb move for them to do that.

Let's celebrate our half-national championship!
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Duck07 wrote:
Everythingsducky wrote:Maybe a stupid question, but if the SEC and BIG break away, would it nullify the current new playoff expansion situation?
It would be a catastrophically dumb move for them to do that.

Let's celebrate our half-national championship!
I can’t imagine the SEC teams giving up week 10 cupcake games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

An update: Brett McMurphy claimed in an interview that Oregon and Washington have been "vetted" and "cleared" for them to join the Big Ten, but there hasn't been any sort of official announcement due to two factors:

1. The Big Ten apparently doesn't want to get blamed for the Pac-12's dissolution (which doesn't make any sense considering they gave the Pac a massive blow when they took USC and UCLA).

2. The B1G is still trying to figure out how much money they will give to us and the Huskies.

In relation to the second pointer, I'm praying that even if they give us a reduced payout, at least we and UDub manage to have a bit more money than the expected deal if the Pac-12 stays together.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/1 ... rdles_pac/
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

If you listen to the actual interview, it's still McMurphy mainly speaking in hypotheticals and the Fuller guy who posted it is jumping to major conclusions without facts, which BYU fans typically do since they're not the biggest Pac-12 fans.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I don't have any reason to doubt McMurphy... what he says jives with everything else we've been hearing about the Pac-12 staying together being the most likely scenario. It doesn't really matter that Oregon is vetted, what matters is that the B1G (according to McMurphy) wouldn't invite us unless a 4C school bolts for the Big-12, which is extremely unlikely to happen.

I highly, highly doubt the B1G is withholding an invite over optics. (The B1G already stole both major LA schools and is responsible for this upheaval, and everyone knows it.) This is all about the $$$$. If the 4C schools were to bolt, then the B1G could get us for pennies on the dollar. THAT is what this is about. The only way we'd go to the B1G right now is at a massive discount so that other schools aren't subsidizing us. Otherwise, it's not in the B1G's interests to invite us right now, just like it's not really in the 4C schools' interests to sidestep to the Big-12 just for funsies. And it's not really in Oregon's interests to move to a significantly tougher conference while taking a massive discount and a huge hit to our brand. (King of the Pac-12 vs. Desperate Little Brother of the B1G).

I didn't need McMurphy to tell me any of that, though. Pretty sure any of us could have easily deduced that scenario over a couple of beers.

The most notable thing in that interview, to me, was the tidbit about Amazon allegedly not being a serious streaming partner in terms of taking a lot of games. That would leave most of the distribution to ESPN and/or Apple TV. But I'm really not sure how seriously to take any of that because reporting about negotiations has been all over the map.