Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

droop10
Five Star Recruit

Re: Oregon Ducks Christmas List

Post by droop10 »

HomeSickDuck wrote:
droop10 wrote:
HomeSickDuck wrote:
droop10 wrote:Just so it doesn't seem I just hop into the thread to question other's wish lists and don't provide my own, here are mine:

1) This absolutely won't happen (hence wish list), and honestly wouldn't be fair to do to Brown, but it would be to give one of the young QBs the start in the bowl game. The result of the bowl game is pointless, so I think it would be a great opportunity to get their feet wet. Brown got them to that point, so it wouldn't be right to do that to him, and he obviously has no incentive to sit the bowl game, so I understand that won't likely happen. In a perfect world though, it would benefit the program more long-term to play one of the young guys than a win in the bowl would.

2) Hold on to all the young QBs. Again, I know this isn't likely due to the way things are these days, but in an ideal world, all 3 guys stick around and battle it out through fall camp. Competition will ensure the best guy gets the job and will bring out the best in each guy.

3) Next OC isn't as QB run-centric, or Moorhead adapts in the off chance he stays. I preface this by saying that I really like Moorhead, think he's one of the top OCs in the country and would love to have him back. I'm just rolling with the assumption that he's as good as gone. I think the current personnel they have doesn't fit the scheme to a tee. I have faith that Moorhead can adjust (the offense showed flashes of being dynamic with Shough at the helm last season) and think some of the current system is built to fit Brown's skillset, but his history at MSU and Penn St., along with previous comments he's made, suggests he does really like to run the QB. Just want to see that trimmed back a bit, as it exposes the QB to a lot of hits, and again isn't a great fit with the personnel.
The outcome of a bowl game, especially if it’s the rose bowl is very important. The rest of the players on the roster didn’t work all year to just to go in and say “it doesn’t matter if we win, let’s start the freshmen.”
I understand it matters to the players, and it's why I said it's never going to happen, and I understand why it won't happen. I could have been more specific what I meant by it being pointless. I think from a program outlook, it's pointless. The result of the bowl game won't impact the program's trajectory in any manner, while getting the QB of the future reps could have an impact on next season. However, I understand the message it would send to the players is negative, so this is a wish list item if all things were in a vacuum, I suppose (maybe if I was firing up NCAA 2014 and didn't have to take into account player's emotions :lol: ).
It is important for recruiting. Especially with how negative the pac-12 is viewed by the other conferences. All pac-12 teams need to take care of business in out of conference games. This is why the likes of Najee Harris and others have left the west coast.
Nah, I think recruits want to go to programs that get to the playoffs obviously, but I don't think whether the Ducks win or lose the Rose Bowl matters that much. Nobody talks about the Ducks losing the Fiesta Bowl last year, nor do you see any talk in recruiting interviews about the win in the Rose Bowl a few years ago. I guess one way to put it is that I don't think winning the Fiesta Bowl last year would have had any impact on this recruiting class. As the playoff continue to expands, these meaningless bowl games mean less and less. It's like bragging about winning the NIT.
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

droop10 wrote:
HomeSickDuck wrote:
droop10 wrote:
HomeSickDuck wrote:
droop10 wrote:Just so it doesn't seem I just hop into the thread to question other's wish lists and don't provide my own, here are mine:

1) This absolutely won't happen (hence wish list), and honestly wouldn't be fair to do to Brown, but it would be to give one of the young QBs the start in the bowl game. The result of the bowl game is pointless, so I think it would be a great opportunity to get their feet wet. Brown got them to that point, so it wouldn't be right to do that to him, and he obviously has no incentive to sit the bowl game, so I understand that won't likely happen. In a perfect world though, it would benefit the program more long-term to play one of the young guys than a win in the bowl would.

2) Hold on to all the young QBs. Again, I know this isn't likely due to the way things are these days, but in an ideal world, all 3 guys stick around and battle it out through fall camp. Competition will ensure the best guy gets the job and will bring out the best in each guy.

3) Next OC isn't as QB run-centric, or Moorhead adapts in the off chance he stays. I preface this by saying that I really like Moorhead, think he's one of the top OCs in the country and would love to have him back. I'm just rolling with the assumption that he's as good as gone. I think the current personnel they have doesn't fit the scheme to a tee. I have faith that Moorhead can adjust (the offense showed flashes of being dynamic with Shough at the helm last season) and think some of the current system is built to fit Brown's skillset, but his history at MSU and Penn St., along with previous comments he's made, suggests he does really like to run the QB. Just want to see that trimmed back a bit, as it exposes the QB to a lot of hits, and again isn't a great fit with the personnel.
The outcome of a bowl game, especially if it’s the rose bowl is very important. The rest of the players on the roster didn’t work all year to just to go in and say “it doesn’t matter if we win, let’s start the freshmen.”
I understand it matters to the players, and it's why I said it's never going to happen, and I understand why it won't happen. I could have been more specific what I meant by it being pointless. I think from a program outlook, it's pointless. The result of the bowl game won't impact the program's trajectory in any manner, while getting the QB of the future reps could have an impact on next season. However, I understand the message it would send to the players is negative, so this is a wish list item if all things were in a vacuum, I suppose (maybe if I was firing up NCAA 2014 and didn't have to take into account player's emotions :lol: ).
It is important for recruiting. Especially with how negative the pac-12 is viewed by the other conferences. All pac-12 teams need to take care of business in out of conference games. This is why the likes of Najee Harris and others have left the west coast.
Nah, I think recruits want to go to programs that get to the playoffs obviously, but I don't think whether the Ducks win or lose the Rose Bowl matters that much. Nobody talks about the Ducks losing the Fiesta Bowl last year, nor do you see any talk in recruiting interviews about the win in the Rose Bowl a few years ago. I guess one way to put it is that I don't think winning the Fiesta Bowl last year would have had any impact on this recruiting class. As the playoff continue to expands, these meaningless bowl games mean less and less. It's like bragging about winning the NIT.
If a team went to a bowl game every year and lost, that’s a bad look. Losing one rose bowl or other bowl game isn’t huge, but I’d you’ve never won anything in the post season what top recruit is going to want to play for your program? That’s why last years loss isn’t talked about, because it’s not just one game but a collection of what Oregon has accomplished and the trajectory of the program. You don’t tank in a NY6 bowl for the sake of getting one game experience for a QB.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:

3. Guys like McKinley, Dorlus, and both Williams returning for another year.
That's a good one. I think we'll get 2/3 of those (I think McKinley is gone).
Agree- I think VMIII strikes while the iron is hot. Good for him. A great Duck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Nah, I think recruits want to go to programs that get to the playoffs obviously, but I don't think whether the Ducks win or lose the Rose Bowl matters that much. Nobody talks about the Ducks losing the Fiesta Bowl last year, nor do you see any talk in recruiting interviews about the win in the Rose Bowl a few years ago.
Winning the Rose Bowl absolutely matters!

It matters to the players, because it's a HUGE accomplishment and they'll never win a natty if they don't consistently learn to win these big games.

It matters to recruiting. Recruits we're going after right now might not talk about the past couple years, but many of them love Oregon because they grew up in the Chip Kelly era and watched us win Rose and Fiesta bowls.

It matters to the program. As someone else already said, good programs are known for winning big bowl games against other premier programs, and teams that repeatedly lose those games aren't taken seriously.

It matters to the Pac-12's reputation which absolutely matters in the annual playoff hunt.

It matters to the alumni, and I don't need to explain that one.

So yes... it's the Rose Bowl, baby! It's big-time! Winning the Rose Bowl may lose some shine once we go to a 12-team playoff, but for now Rose Bowl victories are definitely impactful.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

I remember not too long ago when Duck fans wanted nothing more than a Rose Bowl victory (that 2010 loss to Ohio State in Pasadena still stings), yet in a span of ten seasons Oregon's won three Rose Bowls so now the focus shifts to CFP appearances and National Championships. I get it, we all want those things but I'll never take a conference championship and Rose Bowl victories for granted. It's the Grandaddy of them all damnit!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Rose Bowl wins don't hurt with recruits, but I don't think they really matter. Would Kayvon even play in a bowl game?

For fans, it absolutely matters. It's a championship. It's the granddaddy. You don't think I want to rub it in the face of fuskies that we've been winning Rose Bowls like it's our job all the while they can't even make it to the game? I love it.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Remember how upset some fans of the PAC and B1G became when it was first announce the BCS wanted to add playing at the Rose Bowl to their collection of venues?

Now many of those same fans are PO'd if the Ducks fail to make a playoff, regardless if it's the Rose Bowl or otherwise.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

woundedknees wrote:Remember how upset some fans of the PAC and B1G became when it was first announce the BCS wanted to add playing at the Rose Bowl to their collection of venues?

Now many of those same fans are PO'd if the Ducks fail to make a playoff, regardless if it's the Rose Bowl or otherwise.
This may not be directed at me at all, but since I originally brought it up, perhaps it is. I am definitely not PO'd about making the Rose Bowl, and honestly didn't expect to make the playoff this season. My point is just that while, of course I'd always like them to win the game, I think there would be more long-term value to start one of the young guys over Brown in the game. I also don't think it's necessarily sand-bagging to do so, as one of the young guys could still be more than capable of winning that game. However, I'd rather take a small hit to the probability of winning the game to get a guy experience and improve their chances slightly next season. That being said, I live in Vegas, so I'll be attending the Pac-12 champ game and making the drive to Pasadena should they make it there, and be cheering for them to win at both. Again, I also understand the bad look it would be to bench the guy after he got them to that point. It's all just a hypothetical situation.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

I want a coach who isn't afraid to give backups meaningful time in games where the outcome is pretty much in doubt. Everyone is bashing Thompson, but really how much actual game time did he get to get the yips out? SMH.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

nogerO wrote:I want a coach who isn't afraid to give backups meaningful time in games where the outcome is pretty much in doubt. Everyone is bashing Thompson, but really how much actual game time did he get to get the yips out? SMH.

Anything you don’t complain about when it comes to Mario? Guy is on the brink of 3 conference titles in a row, but that’s not good enough? He doesn’t win big enough? I get there are frustrating things, everyone sees it, but as they say just win baby. And that’s what he has done.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

And the coal in your stocking I guess?
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

HomeSickDuck wrote:
droop10 wrote:
HomeSickDuck wrote:
droop10 wrote:
HomeSickDuck wrote:

If a team went to a bowl game every year and lost, that’s a bad look. Losing one rose bowl or other bowl game isn’t huge, but I’d you’ve never won anything in the post season what top recruit is going to want to play for your program? That’s why last years loss isn’t talked about, because it’s not just one game but a collection of what Oregon has accomplished and the trajectory of the program. You don’t tank in a NY6 bowl for the sake of getting one game experience for a QB.
Unless your name is Notre Dame - then losing bowl games on a regular basis doesn't matter.
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

Ok, whatever you say.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

woundedknees wrote:Remember how upset some fans of the PAC and B1G became when it was first announce the BCS wanted to add playing at the Rose Bowl to their collection of venues?

Don't get me started on this because I went on a long rant about how the Pac 10 used to accept being screwed over in huge bowl games. ASU was the best team in the country in 1996 but didn't get a chance to play a beatable FSU team. Then when the BCS was first developed they were so used to screwing over the Pac 10 that it was in their computer combinations.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

1) Coaching rumors to end
2) QB play to become decent again
3) Some actual emotion and execution from the offense
4) Get some injured players back and healthy