Next Duck Coach: DAN LANNING

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

thatbpguy
Four Star Recruit

Re: Next Duck Coach

Post by thatbpguy »

pezsez1 wrote:
I’ve watched every single game. I don’t care if they roll through teams, I just care if they win.
Obviously, dominating an opponent is meaningless if you choke the game away and somehow manage to lose it... but, overall, I care nearly as much about being dominant as I do about winning. That doesn't mean we have to light up the scoreboard every Saturday, but I want to see the Ducks win in dominating fashion.

That's what bothers me about the Cristobal era. We win, but we rarely dominate. We often deserve to lose. We eek out wins despite having a sizable talent advantage.

Winning is ultimately what matters, but we'll never win the big one unless we learn how to regularly win in dominating fashion.
What I care about:

1. Coaching players up and not down.
2. Handling teams that are greatly inferior.
3. Having a f****** game plan.
4. [see #1] Having a good QB coach.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

thatbpguy wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:Since it sounds like Mario is gone let’s start a thread dedicated to our search for a new HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, why not. After I called it twice yesterday before it was announced. But I'm not holding grudges.... oh no, not me...... after seeing 2 threads of mine taken down..... ;) ;) ;)
They got taken down because they were aggregated articles of previous reports that weren't confirmed and didn't need their own threads. Move on already.
thatbpguy
Four Star Recruit

Post by thatbpguy »

I'm fine with Wilcox so long as he has a dynamic OC.
thatbpguy
Four Star Recruit

Post by thatbpguy »

greenyellow wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:I guess my point is we got to games as fans we wanted to. We exceeded most fans expectations this year.

Just don't be shocked if we are .500 or worse next year, and struggle to have a good team for a few years. We will lose lots of recruits and will probably have a couple big names transfer.
It's basically going to be 2-3 years of pain, recruiting issues, and transfer portal stops before we're anywhere close to sniffing conference championship levels again, let alone CFP and national title hopes.
This is a worst case scenario. If we lose less than 15 players and get a coaching staff that can actually coach and motivate the players, it may only be a 1 year let down.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

thatbpguy wrote:I'm fine with Wilcox so long as he has a dynamic OC.
He's yet to show he can hire a decent OC. Him bringing in Musgrave is a no go.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

GrandpaDuck wrote:An important thing to remember about the importance of high school recruiting. It has changed drastically since free agency. Frankly I was concerned about Mario putting too much emphasis on full classes of high schoolers every year and not leaving enough room for transfers.

Hopefully the next coach will have a little more Altman in him and be able to blend both.
This is an important point. The transfer portal is the next big thing most coaches/programs are going to have to adapt to, and it felt like Mario was way behind the curve.

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Someone mentioned Avalos and it made me think that Oregon should just hire with in because the D coordinator Oregon has right now Tim DeRuyter is better than Avalos and it would keep the rest of the coaching staff in place. Also if I was Oregon I'd try to sway Matt Campbell from leaving Iowa St. You know he'll want to upgrade so might as well come to Oregon. Also how long does Kyle Wittingham want to coach at Utah? I know they just beat Oregon but he knows where the talent is at.

I think this could be a good thing for Oregon as long as they don't hire another slick Willy. If I was as negative about this as some are I'd just root for Michigan because they've found a great loyal coach even though they were trying to fire him not too long ago.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

duck023 wrote:Someone mentioned Avalos and it made me think that Oregon should just hire with in because the D coordinator Oregon has right now Tim DeRuyter is better than Avalos and it would keep the rest of the coaching staff in place. Also if I was Oregon I'd try to sway Matt Campbell from leaving Iowa St. You know he'll want to upgrade so might as well come to Oregon. Also how long does Kyle Wittingham want to coach at Utah? I know they just beat Oregon but he knows where the talent is at.

I think this could be a good thing for Oregon as long as they don't hire another slick Willy. If I was as negative about this as some are I'd just root for Michigan because they've found a great loyal coach even though they were trying to fire him not too long ago.
Rumor in Utah is that Whittingham will retire after the Rose Bowl. He is 62, wants to spend time with his family and grandkids and this year took a hell of a toll on him. Good for him. SOmetimes its best to know when you should walk away and maybe he knows.
Mike Bellotti's Mustache
One Star Recruit

Post by Mike Bellotti's Mustache »

Wilcox would be the laziest hire, and probably the worst imo. Bringing in a coach just because they are alumni and a former Ducks player isn’t going to win you much. You’ll get the Oregon State result. Mediocre record and a coach that probably won’t leave? That’s just settling.

Phil should swing for the fences and go for a quick call with Urban. I know it won't happen but it wouldn't hurt. Phil wants to win now.

Realistically my ideal coaches are as follows:

1. Aranda as the hc and Joe Brady as the oc
2. Peterson
3. Sitake
3. Kiffin
4. Chip with GREAT recruiters and he can't take Jerry Azzinaro with him
"Dyer Was Down"
'00 Alum, "Frat" guy, Go Ducks
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Mike Bellotti's Mustache wrote:Wilcox would be the laziest hire, and probably the worst imo. Bringing in a coach just because they are alumni and a former Ducks player isn’t going to win you much. You’ll get the Oregon State result. Mediocre record and a coach that probably won’t leave? That’s just settling.

Phil should swing for the fences and go for a quick call with Urban. I know it won't happen but it wouldn't hurt. Phil wants to win now.

Realistically my ideal coaches are as follows:

1. Aranda as the hc and Joe Brady as the oc
2. Peterson
3. Sitake
3. Kiffin
4. Chip with GREAT recruiters and he can't take Jerry Azzinaro with him
2nd post since 2017 ^^

Your list makes a lot of sense to me except maybe Kiffin.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Mike Bellotti's Mustache
One Star Recruit

Post by Mike Bellotti's Mustache »

Yeah i lurk :)
"Dyer Was Down"
'00 Alum, "Frat" guy, Go Ducks
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

thatbpguy wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:Since it sounds like Mario is gone let’s start a thread dedicated to our search for a new HC.

Yeah, why not. After I called it twice yesterday before it was announced. But I'm not holding grudges.... oh no, not me...... after seeing 2 threads of mine taken down..... ;) ;) ;)

2 for me got zapped.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

duckfan22 wrote:I dont think uncle Phil will pay big money to bring Chip back. Chip wasnt the
guy to pal around with boosters. I believe that uncle phil wasnt a fan of his
I always heard Phil was the booster who was a fan of his, and that Chip liked it because he only had to appease one. But I’m not a fan of bringing Chip back.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

nogerO wrote:
thatbpguy wrote:

2 for me got zapped.
It’s because you were starting your own threads about a topic that already had a long running thread. We didn’t need 5 separate threads discussing Mario to Miami.

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Sounds like the interest with Arande is mutual.