Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

NCAA closing in on Tressel/tOSU

Post by woundedknees »

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/stor ... NHeadlines

"NCAA alleges Jim Tressel not honest"

(Now there's a news flash!)

"The NCAA, in a notice of allegations to the Ohio State school president last week, says football coach Jim Tressel was not honest after discovering his players were selling autographs, uniforms, championship rings and other memorabilia for money and tattoos."

The NCAA says Tressel "falsely attested" that he reported all knowledge of NCAA violations to the school.

The report also cites previous violations involving former quarterback Troy Smith, who received $500 from a booster and former men's basketball coach Jim O'Brien, who gave $6,000 to a recruit.

NCAA rules state second-time violators face postseason levies, coaching-staff suspensions and a loss of scholarships.

Ohio State must go before the NCAA's committee on infractions Aug. 12.

Absent from the notice was mention of a "failure to monitor" or "failure of institutional control," the most serious violations that historically have resulted in the worst penalties for programs.

Tressel did call an FBI agent within days, The Dispatch reported Monday, citing documents it acquired from Ohio State through a public-records request.

He also forwarded to a mentor of Pryor emails that had warned the coach his players were in trouble. But Tressel did not forward the emails to school officials.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/lo ... ml?sid=101

(And tOSU fans could apparently care less about the integrity of their coach... )

What's bothering Ohio State football fan Mike Huffman about the Buckeyes heading into next season isn't the suspension of Coach Jim Tressel and six of his players.

"The biggest question in my mind is, who's going to be the starting quarterback?" Huffman said after watching Terrelle Pryor's possible replacements struggle early in the team's spring scrimmage yesterday in Ohio Stadium.

http://www.jaxnewsonline.com/2789/will- ... ink-so.php

(Never fear... Beano knows what's up!)

In a USA Today article posted last week, college football analyst Beano Cook predicts that Urban Meyer will be the head coach of the Ohio State football team in 2012.

“I think Ohio State has major problems and I think Jim Tressel has major problems,” Cook, whose comments were reported by The Columbus Dispatch, said during a Thursday ESPN radio interview. “I’ve said on my Podcast. . . (that) Urban Meyer will be the coach at Ohio State in 2012. That was my prediction and I stick by that prediction.”
Last edited by woundedknees on Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Lightning Strikes
Three Star Recruit

Re: NCAA closing in on Tressel/tOSU

Post by Lightning Strikes »

I acknowledge that Tressel is an idiot for covering this up, but the real crook in all of this is the NCAA.

The only reason the NCAA didn't suspend the OSU players for the Sugar Bowl was for monetary purposes. Yet when some players sell or trade their own possessions for tattoos they're deemed to receive improper benefits. Give me a break. I'm sick of the fascist NCAA.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Is it to early to start the Urb to tOSU rumors? :lol:
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

If tOSU appears before the committee in August it could be 2015 before a decision is final. Look at USC, didn't they present their appeal sometime in January and still no ruling from the NCAA--on a case that dates back to 2005.

I know the wheels of justice grind slowly but this is ridiculous.
L Perry
Four Star Recruit

Post by L Perry »

woundedknees wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/stor ... NHeadlines

"NCAA alleges Jim Tressel not honest"

(Now there's a news flash!)
Actually it is a NEWS FLASH! The NCAA actually issued a statement that said it, not just laying it off.
Probae esti in segetem sunt deteriorem datae fruges, tamen ipsae suaptae enitent
L Perry
Four Star Recruit

Post by L Perry »

Lightning Strikes wrote:I acknowledge that Tressel is an idiot for covering this up, but the real crook in all of this is the NCAA.

The only reason the NCAA didn't suspend the OSU players for the Sugar Bowl was for monetary purposes. Yet when some players sell or trade their own possessions for tattoos they're deemed to receive improper benefits. Give me a break. I'm sick of the fascist NCAA.
The NCAA, itself the governing body, makes no money if the 'TAT5' play or not!
Probae esti in segetem sunt deteriorem datae fruges, tamen ipsae suaptae enitent
L Perry
Four Star Recruit

Post by L Perry »

maxduck wrote:If tOSU appears before the committee in August it could be 2015 before a decision is final. Look at USC, didn't they present their appeal sometime in January and still no ruling from the NCAA--on a case that dates back to 2005.

I know the wheels of justice grind slowly but this is ridiculous.
Yep!!
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

Kind of off topic, but thought this was interesting considering everything thats going on in Cbus....

I love the show Pawn Stars on the History Channel... I was watching a rerun last night and some guy brought in two pairs of "gold pants" which tOSU awards their players for beating Michigan. The charms contain the players initials, the year of the game and the score. The only way these end up in the public forum is if a player sells them, gives them away or if they're lost or stolen... one pair was from 2008, I couldnt the date on the other pair...

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
neezy3
Four Star Recruit

Post by neezy3 »

I wonder what the fan who looks just like JT in the sig pic above is doing now? Always got a good laugh out of that guy.
AU4UO
Four Star Recruit

Post by AU4UO »

buckmarkduck wrote:Is it to early to start the Urb to tOSU rumors? :lol:
Nope :D

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/ ... adley_blog
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

One of my original links is to Beano Cook, football guru savant extraordinaire, saying the same thing.

AU4UO
Four Star Recruit

Post by AU4UO »

woundedknees wrote:One of my original links is to Beano Cook, football guru savant extraordinaire, saying the same thing.
I see that now. AJC quoted Beano in that article I linked.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Urb needed a vacation from all that stress, you know?

What better place to relax?

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Meyer to OSU is actually sort of where I saw him ending up since he's from the area. Only things that might hold him back from getting the job are they might want to hire someone with ties to OSU, his offensive style might not fit with what Tressel has so some down years might result, and Meyer isn't someone who stays for a long period of time in one job.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6424573

Spielman added: "I think he's intent was pure, but his actions justify the punishment that's coming his way."

Huh?