NCAA closing in on Tressel/tOSU

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

L Perry
Four Star Recruit

Re: NCAA closing in on Tressel/tOSU

Post by L Perry »

woundedknees wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6424573

Spielman added: "I think he's intent was pure, but his actions justify the punishment that's coming his way."

Huh?
Well frakk yes his intent was pure! That intent, being winning at ALL COSTS! ;)
Probae esti in segetem sunt deteriorem datae fruges, tamen ipsae suaptae enitent
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

L Perry wrote:
woundedknees wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6424573

Spielman added: "I think he's intent was pure, but his actions justify the punishment that's coming his way."

Huh?
Well frakk yes his intent was pure! That intent, being winning at ALL COSTS! ;)
Exactly. He comes off as a by-the-rules type of guy, but don't the sweatervest shouldn't fool anyone; he's a coach who wants to win, especially with him being at a school like Ohio State.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

$3.5-4 Million/year evidently trumps integrity for some people, eh?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Lightning Strikes
Three Star Recruit

Post by Lightning Strikes »

L Perry wrote:
Lightning Strikes wrote:I acknowledge that Tressel is an idiot for covering this up, but the real crook in all of this is the NCAA.

The only reason the NCAA didn't suspend the OSU players for the Sugar Bowl was for monetary purposes. Yet when some players sell or trade their own possessions for tattoos they're deemed to receive improper benefits. Give me a break. I'm sick of the fascist NCAA.
The NCAA, itself the governing body, makes no money if the 'TAT5' play or not!
Are you that naive to think the money earned by various bowls, and especially BCS bowls, have no impact on the business of the NCAA?

The entire system is a giant hypocrisy.
L Perry
Four Star Recruit

Post by L Perry »

Lightning Strikes wrote:
L Perry wrote:
Lightning Strikes wrote:I acknowledge that Tressel is an idiot for covering this up, but the real crook in all of this is the NCAA.

The only reason the NCAA didn't suspend the OSU players for the Sugar Bowl was for monetary purposes. Yet when some players sell or trade their own possessions for tattoos they're deemed to receive improper benefits. Give me a break. I'm sick of the fascist NCAA.
Are you that naive to think the money earned by various bowls, and especially BCS bowls, have no impact on the business of the NCAA?

So is it just ignorance, or something more, that makes you think that the NCAA makes a profit? It is a regulatory shell of the collegiate institutions that it oversees. It does not matter if Wisconsin or Ohio State plays in that bowl game to the NCAA, period!

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome ... d+finances

The specifics of who plays is not of major concern to the NCAA as long as the game is well subscribed! :roll:
Probae esti in segetem sunt deteriorem datae fruges, tamen ipsae suaptae enitent
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

L Perry wrote:
Lightning Strikes wrote:
L Perry wrote:

So is it just ignorance, or something more, that makes you think that the NCAA makes a profit? It is a regulatory shell of the collegiate institutions that it oversees. It does not matter if Wisconsin or Ohio State plays in that bowl game to the NCAA, period!

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome ... d+finances

The specifics of who plays is not of major concern to the NCAA as long as the game is well subscribed! :roll:
You are correct. However, I wonder if there aren't some underlying pressures to considered. The big school's sticks are big and far reaching when they swing in anger. I know there was talk in the past that if the NCAA got too our of hand, colleges would rise up and go elsewhere for a new governing body. I know it is a little out there, but I bet the NCAA does cower just a little to the big schools because of that very remote possibility. I'm sure they are not overly afraid, but in the end, the schools are their clients and they want to keep them as happy as they can. Additionally, they want college fans and sports to flourish, it is big money to them on the whole and I suspect they do care a little when they tread on larger fan bases. If they piss off too many big schools, they may find themselves in a bit of jeopardy. However, if they bend to far to protect certain school, other schools will be upset.... All in all, I bet the NCAA, like a ref who is slightly influenced by home crowd boo's, does recognize the big stick and the crowd noise behind it - and bends a little. It's the nature of things.
Lightning Strikes
Three Star Recruit

Post by Lightning Strikes »

The NCAA makes millions of dollars off of TV contracts and licensing endorsements. It's in their best interest to keep the big schools in the spotlight.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

Uh oh...............more trouble for Ohio State. Seem to be some problems with local car dealerships & players as well as their family members.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/lo ... ml?sid=101
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

MFRDuckFan wrote:Uh oh...............more trouble for Ohio State. Seem to be some problems with local car dealerships & players as well as their family members.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/lo ... ml?sid=101
If the NCAA can prove that the players got sweetheart deals for being athletes, then OSU is going to be in a world of hurt. Seems like the more the NCAA digs, the more they find. I bet that would be true of most programs though.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Ahhh, those guys are Bucking Nutz!

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

posted by Michigan fans... Go Figure.

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Wonder if these were some of the cars involved? :roll: :lol: :o