Page 1 of 1

Weis lol

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:22 pm
by UOducksTK1
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... ncaaf.html

First preparing for a game winning FG, now this.

Re: Weis lol

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:38 pm
by Duck24
Eh, I am not going to bash the guy for putting his money where his mouth is. It has been a rough season but this will reverberate well with the alumni base, students as well as players on the team, specifically the seniors.

Re: Weis lol

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:43 pm
by Phenom
What's wrong with this? Don't get me wrong...dude is a douche, but this is a good move.

Re: Weis lol

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:46 pm
by UOducksTK1
He's doing it for all the wrong reasons though. He sucks, his team sucks, he wants the place to be filled so he can win. I don't doubt the product of his intentions, I just doubt his intentions carry integrity.

If this has been an ongoing thing throughout his career, +1. But I think his motives are to win the game and save his butt. Hardly believe this is really for the seniors. His only win all year was over South Dakota State (which was a 24-17 game with 7 minutes left btw).

Re: Weis lol

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:55 pm
by maxduck
The guy needs to fill seats as attendance is steadily declining (last two games were 31,000 for Oklahoma State, 40,000 for Texas). Free stuff for students doesn't hurt either. He probably figures it's an investment in job security.

Re: Weis lol

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:56 pm
by UOducksTK1
maxduck wrote:The guy needs to fill seats as attendance is steadily declining (last two games were 31,000 for Oklahoma State, 40,000 for Texas). Free stuff for students doesn't hurt either. He probably figures it's an investment in job security.
Exactly, anyone trying to write this off as a good dead / good guy is overlooking jabba the hut.

Re: Weis lol

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:58 pm
by Duck24
I guess I don't follow your issue with what he is doing or what you think he is doing. Per the article, he is offering to foot the bill for students to come to the game to send-off the seniors. He is trying to drum up interest in his program and I see nothing wrong with that. The program is in the dumps and he is trying to make a good impression on the students, whom he alienated earlier in the season as well as current players as well as recruits. I would be willing to bet my annual salary that regardless of the outcome of this game, he won't be getting fired after 1 year.

Re: Weis lol

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:01 pm
by Duck24
UOducksTK1 wrote:
maxduck wrote:The guy needs to fill seats as attendance is steadily declining (last two games were 31,000 for Oklahoma State, 40,000 for Texas). Free stuff for students doesn't hurt either. He probably figures it's an investment in job security.
Exactly, anyone trying to write this off as a good dead / good guy is overlooking jabba the hut.
Even if it does have ulterior motives, what difference does it make? He is trying to create a good atmosphere for his teams senior class and end the season on a high note with the fan base. If he wasn't doing something to attempt to drum up interest in his program, he would be failing more-so as a coach than he already is.

Re: Weis lol

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:02 pm
by UOducksTK1
Duck24 wrote:I guess I don't follow your issue with what he is doing or what you think he is doing. Per the article, he is offering to foot the bill for students to come to the game to send-off the seniors. He is trying to drum up interest in his program and I see nothing wrong with that. The program is in the dumps and he is trying to make a good impression on the students, whom he alienated earlier in the season as well as current players as well as recruits. I would be willing to bet my annual salary that regardless of the outcome of this game, he won't be getting fired after 1 year.
No but winning one game is the loneliest number. It's a terrible start, and I don't think Weis will overcome it. This is an act solely to benefit himself and his current situation. It's a business decision. Maybe I'm over thinking it, or he's done so much to annoy me, but that's how I see it. He would be a great politician.

Re: Weis lol

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:04 pm
by UOducksTK1
Duck24 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
maxduck wrote:The guy needs to fill seats as attendance is steadily declining (last two games were 31,000 for Oklahoma State, 40,000 for Texas). Free stuff for students doesn't hurt either. He probably figures it's an investment in job security.
Exactly, anyone trying to write this off as a good dead / good guy is overlooking jabba the hut.
Even if it does have ulterior motives, what difference does it make? He is trying to create a good atmosphere for his teams senior class and end the season on a high note with the fan base. If he wasn't doing something to attempt to drum up interest in his program, he would be failing more-so as a coach than he already is.
Because it's fake. It's all business. I think Chip returning a check to a disgruntled fan is far more of a genuine act than this. This is for publicity, to serve in his own interest, etc.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea, I think it's a great idea to try to win back the fans, get positive publicity, and seem like a nice guy. But his motives appear to me to be skewed.