Page 1 of 1
Defense Recruits
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:50 pm
by Quietduck
Do any of you see a possible change of focus coming for the Ducks? In the past we have seemed to consistently rob our defense to make our offense stronger. In the past T.W. and Daunte started out on the defense and showed great promise but then they moved to offense. While I have no complaints about the production of our offense it seems that we need to allow more of the talent we recruit to work for our defense. Nick A. aside, when we talk about our stars on defense often they are the diamonds that were not highly recruited but became stars anyway. Am I alone in believing that at least some of our defensive issues are because we take the best athletes and move them to offense?

Re: Defense Recruits
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:30 pm
by neezy3
i think the biggest thing has been that we've had offensive minded head coaches who have the final say on where a player goes. Whitehead made it to the nfl but never really panned out and dante is playing quite a bit so you would have to say that mike b made the right decision with those two players. but the sec puts a lot of their best players on defense and i understand what your trying to say.
Re: Defense Recruits
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:54 pm
by brich75
I would guess that if or when we become a consistent offensive powerhouse.It will become much easier to land the big name offensive guys.At that point in time we will probably start to focus more on one or two big name defensive players. much like we are doing with the offense now.
If I am right then we really could be on our way to becoming a real powerhouse school with realistic championship dreams every year.I'm not saying we couldn't win a bcs title now but if we where to start bringing in a couple haloti's and igors every class our chances would greatly improve.
So I guess im trying to say the same thing as you.I wonder if we are going to try to catch our defense up with our offense.If that does happen look out.It would be like other teams where bringing knifes to gun fights!!!!
Re: Defense Recruits
Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:30 am
by hermistonduck
brich75 wrote:I would guess that if or when we become a consistent offensive powerhouse.It will become much easier to land the big name offensive guys.At that point in time we will probably start to focus more on one or two big name defensive players. much like we are doing with the offense now.
If I am right then we really could be on our way to becoming a real powerhouse school with realistic championship dreams every year.I'm not saying we couldn't win a bcs title now but if we where to start bringing in a couple haloti's and igors every class our chances would greatly improve.
So I guess im trying to say the same thing as you.I wonder if we are going to try to catch our defense up with our offense.If that does happen look out.It would be like other teams where bringing knifes to gun fights!!!!
The only problem with that is, Haloti Ngata's don't come around very often. To find a 6'4'' 340, strong as a herd of oxen and quick for his size.. those don't come around very often. Just think of Malichi lewis as a LB, or chris harper as a safety, Dion Jordan as a Defensive end (6'7'' 250 as a RS Frosh?? imagine him by his senior year after a few years with Rad) But as our offense continues to put up big numbers, slowly we will catch the eye of many of the top recruits and when those positions truely become stockpiled with talent, the Malichi's, harpers and Jordans of our team will find their way to the defensive side of the ball.
Re: Defense Recruits
Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:54 pm
by brich75
hermistonduck wrote:brich75 wrote:I would guess that if or when we become a consistent offensive powerhouse.It will become much easier to land the big name offensive guys.At that point in time we will probably start to focus more on one or two big name defensive players. much like we are doing with the offense now.
If I am right then we really could be on our way to becoming a real powerhouse school with realistic championship dreams every year.I'm not saying we couldn't win a bcs title now but if we where to start bringing in a couple haloti's and igors every class our chances would greatly improve.
So I guess im trying to say the same thing as you.I wonder if we are going to try to catch our defense up with our offense.If that does happen look out.It would be like other teams where bringing knifes to gun fights!!!!
The only problem with that is, Haloti Ngata's don't come around very often. To find a 6'4'' 340, strong as a herd of oxen and quick for his size.. those don't come around very often. Just think of Malichi lewis as a LB, or chris harper as a safety, Dion Jordan as a Defensive end (6'7'' 250 as a RS Frosh?? imagine him by his senior year after a few years with Rad) But as our offense continues to put up big numbers, slowly we will catch the eye of many of the top recruits and when those positions truely become stockpiled with talent, the Malichi's, harpers and Jordans of our team will find their way to the defensive side of the ball.
very true!! they dont come around very often at all but if im going to gream i might as well dream big. right?