hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

oregontrack
All Pac-12
Posts: 5118
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:23 pm

hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!

Post by oregontrack »

early, sure, but on the heels of justin upton declining a deal that would have brought him to seattle, i realized it's never too early to talk about the mariners.

personally, i'm glad upton vetoed the trade. i've never been high on him, and the cost was fairly substantial (reportedly, walker/franklin/furbush/pryor). the relievers don't matter much, but walker and franklin would have been a coup for the d-backs.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Phenom
All Pac-12
Posts: 9914
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:49 am

Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!

Post by Phenom »

Yeah I'm also glad the deal didn't happen. I hear we're going for Stanton though. I don't really want to give up any of our stud pitchers in the system but we have quite a few that it shouldn't hurt as bad.
303DucksFan
Four Star Recruit
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:43 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains

Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!

Post by 303DucksFan »

oregontrack wrote:early, sure, but on the heels of justin upton declining a deal that would have brought him to seattle, i realized it's never too early to talk about the mariners.

personally, i'm glad upton vetoed the trade. i've never been high on him, and the cost was fairly substantial (reportedly, walker/franklin/furbush/pryor). the relievers don't matter much, but walker and franklin would have been a coup for the d-backs.
My thoughts exactly and that's why.
User avatar
Duck07
All-American
Posts: 17123
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!

Post by Duck07 »

They better not give up Zunino either. Kid could be in Safeco by August
Image
303DucksFan
Four Star Recruit
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:43 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains

Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!

Post by 303DucksFan »

Duck07 wrote:They better not give up Zunino either. Kid could be in Safeco by August
They won't, catchers are hard to come by.
Last edited by 303DucksFan on Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oregontrack
All Pac-12
Posts: 5118
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:23 pm

Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!

Post by oregontrack »

yeah, zunino is likely untouchable. he's the catcher of the future.
ImageImageImageImageImage
thomas time
Senior
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:18 am

Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!

Post by thomas time »

I would get up one or maybe two of the young pitchers for Stanton, that guy is a BEAST!!! I don't see that happening, but I would in a heartbeat
303DucksFan
Four Star Recruit
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:43 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains

Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!

Post by 303DucksFan »

thomas time wrote:I would get up one or maybe two of the young pitchers for Stanton, that guy is a BEAST!!! I don't see that happening, but I would in a heartbeat
I agree. Stanton > Upton
User avatar
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 40597
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
GM: Boston Celtics GM
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!

Post by UOducksTK1 »

thomas time wrote:I would get up one or maybe two of the young pitchers for Stanton, that guy is a BEAST!!! I don't see that happening, but I would in a heartbeat
Are we actually looking to realistically get Stanton? If so, link please.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
buckmarkduck
All-American
Posts: 11013
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am
Contact:

Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!

Post by buckmarkduck »

Even if Upton had come, his contract was up in 2 years. No way is he signing anywhere but Atlanta.
303DucksFan
Four Star Recruit
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:43 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains

Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!

Post by 303DucksFan »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
thomas time wrote:I would get up one or maybe two of the young pitchers for Stanton, that guy is a BEAST!!! I don't see that happening, but I would in a heartbeat
Are we actually looking to realistically get Stanton? If so, link please.
Realistic to the point where Seattle wants him... I doubt Miami want's to move him just yet though.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/giancarlo-stanton/
cordy02c
Senior
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:38 pm

Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!

Post by cordy02c »

Mariners traded for Mike Morse in a 3 team trade and only had to give up jaso
thomas time
Senior
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:18 am

Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!

Post by thomas time »

I just saw that, good trade for them
oregontrack
All Pac-12
Posts: 5118
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:23 pm

Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!

Post by oregontrack »

hate the trade, personally.
ImageImageImageImageImage
uostudent
Senior
Posts: 3561
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:03 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!

Post by uostudent »

oregontrack wrote:hate the trade, personally.
Agree with this. I'm a Dodgers fan, so this trade really has no impact on me.

Morse has excellent power, but he isn't a very patient hitter. He's also one of the worst defenders in the majors at any position, but particularly in the outfield. In addition, he's a terrible baserunner. If the Mariners hadn't signed Raul Ibanez, I would have assumed that they would have had Morse DH.

Outfield defense is particularly important in a spacious stadium like Safeco. Horrible deal for the Mariners.

The Mariners would have been better off overpaying for a guy like BJ Upton.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
Post Reply