Johnny Manziel
Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1
-
maxduck
- Senior
- Posts: 3763
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm
Johnny Manziel
Is only taking online courses and visits the campus about once a month? I haven't seen the inside of a college classroom in 40 years but is this normal?
http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/20 ... s/1929057/
http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/20 ... s/1929057/
-
USUaggieDuck
- Five Star Recruit
- Posts: 1219
- Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 12:37 am
Re: Johnny Manziel
pretty normal, especially for athletes. obviously they don't all do that, but it isn't a big deal in my opinion.
- Elduderino
- Senior
- Posts: 2242
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:19 pm
- Location: CA
-
snapt
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 588
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:02 pm
- Location: Behind the potato curtain
Re: Johnny Manziel
It's typical, especially for lower division course work. I loved online courses, have the tests open in one window and Wikipedia in the other. Just write the papers and you're golden.
BOOF it!
-
duckgrad99
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 6086
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:33 pm
- Location: San Diego
Re: Johnny Manziel
Personally, I couldn't believe this was actually news when I saw it on the ESPN ticker. First of all, a lot of college programs are entirely online these days. Second, I'm sure this is common with a lot of athletes. As long as Manziel is actually doing the work, I see no reason why this is even a story.

- Bud Lee
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 5541
- Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:03 am
- Location: Da Boot
Re: Johnny Manziel
Do you think every other college student that takes online courses are actually doing the courses?Biggus Duckus wrote:Do you think he is doing the work?duckgrad99 wrote:Personally, I couldn't believe this was actually news when I saw it on the ESPN ticker. First of all, a lot of college programs are entirely online these days. Second, I'm sure this is common with a lot of athletes. As long as Manziel is actually doing the work, I see no reason why this is even a story.
Its not like he is getting something others don't, which is why I don't understand why people are making something out of it. It is the way of the world right now, started when I was getting my undergrad and has made leap and bounds since then. My little brother has taken mid terms and finals from his house online...BLEW MY MIND when he told me that.
- Elduderino
- Senior
- Posts: 2242
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:19 pm
- Location: CA
Re: Johnny Manziel
I understand there isn't anything illegal about it, and again, I understand it is commonplace. Hell I took an online class or two during my college days.
I just don't like the way it feels to have an athlete taking 0 "on-campus" classes, and having an entirely digital course load. What kind of precedent does that establish? Is this something we want to proliferate in college athletics?
I just don't like the way it feels to have an athlete taking 0 "on-campus" classes, and having an entirely digital course load. What kind of precedent does that establish? Is this something we want to proliferate in college athletics?
AKA: CAgrown
- EncinitasDuck
- Five Star Recruit
- Posts: 1158
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:45 pm
- Location: Grants Pass Oregon
Re: Johnny Manziel
As long as a non-athletic scholarship student can do the same thing I don't see a problem with it.Elduderino wrote:I understand there isn't anything illegal about it, and again, I understand it is commonplace. Hell I took an online class or two during my college days.
I just don't like the way it feels to have an athlete taking 0 "on-campus" classes, and having an entirely digital course load. What kind of precedent does that establish? Is this something we want to proliferate in college athletics?
- Bud Lee
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 5541
- Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:03 am
- Location: Da Boot
Re: Johnny Manziel
Exactly! It would be unfair to limit the number of online courses student athletes can take if other students including academic scholly holders can take a full semester of them.EncinitasDuck wrote:As long as a non-athletic scholarship student can do the same thing I don't see a problem with it.Elduderino wrote:I understand there isn't anything illegal about it, and again, I understand it is commonplace. Hell I took an online class or two during my college days.
I just don't like the way it feels to have an athlete taking 0 "on-campus" classes, and having an entirely digital course load. What kind of precedent does that establish? Is this something we want to proliferate in college athletics?
I understand it is nontraditional, but it is the trend of campuses right now to do this. It is actually really good for the schools; they double and triple the amount of students that can attend one lecture. Thus maximizing profits and minimizing cost.
I guess the real question is....is internet courses really the direction we want our universities to go? Is it hurting the quality of the education for "ALL" of the students...not just the ones we like to watch in athletic competitions.
For a old dog like me, it makes wonder how they are stopping cheating and how do they know they are "in class" and not watching sport center. Then again in our computer world just because they are in a class on campus does not mean they are not watching spot center on their laptop instead of taking notes.
Last edited by Bud Lee on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
woundedknees
- All-American
- Posts: 12821
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:06 pm
Re: Johnny Manziel
My daughter has one (American Sign Language) class on-site at the U of O this term... The other classes, plus 75% 0f her exams for this session, are on-line.
As a single Mom, she is thrilled. Last term, she had 20+ credits, all of which required being on campus 8-13 hours per day.
Even then, most of the exams, as well as the majority of the papers necessary, were handled on-line.
As a single Mom, she is thrilled. Last term, she had 20+ credits, all of which required being on campus 8-13 hours per day.
Even then, most of the exams, as well as the majority of the papers necessary, were handled on-line.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!


-
buckmarkduck
- All-American
- Posts: 11010
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am
- Contact:
Re: Johnny Manziel
Who cares, he will be a millionaire soon enough, with or without taking classes on campus.
-
ducksrock
- Senior
- Posts: 2729
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:08 am
Re: Johnny Manziel
Wealthy and dumber than a post? Wow, that is surely a milestone to be admired by all....I can see it now...His epitaph.....He died a wealthy, albeit ignorant man.....buckmarkduck wrote:Who cares, he will be a millionaire soon enough, with or without taking classes on campus.
-
maxduck
- Senior
- Posts: 3763
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm
Re: Johnny Manziel
Remember--a fool and his money are soon parted. He would be wise to get an education.ducksrock wrote:Wealthy and dumber than a post? Wow, that is surely a milestone to be admired by all....I can see it now...His epitaph.....He died a wealthy, albeit ignorant man.....buckmarkduck wrote:Who cares, he will be a millionaire soon enough, with or without taking classes on campus.
-
ducksrock
- Senior
- Posts: 2729
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:08 am
Re: Johnny Manziel
So very true......maxduck wrote:Remember--a fool and his money are soon parted. He would be wise to get an education.ducksrock wrote:Wealthy and dumber than a post? Wow, that is surely a milestone to be admired by all....I can see it now...His epitaph.....He died a wealthy, albeit ignorant man.....buckmarkduck wrote:Who cares, he will be a millionaire soon enough, with or without taking classes on campus.
-
duckgrad99
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 6086
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:33 pm
- Location: San Diego
Re: Johnny Manziel
For all we know, the entire duck football team might have each taken online classes. We just didn't hear about it because their name wasn't Johnny Manziel. In other words, I don't think this is anything new, and I don't think Johnny should be singled out for it.
