Spring Game Info

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Spring Game Info

Post by gofightingducks »

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... OEM_ID=500

Saturday’s University of Oregon Spring Game will be designed to provide fans with the most com-petitive scenario possible as the Ducks’ first-team offense will be matched against their first-team defense, ac-cording to first-year head coach Chip Kelly.

Kickoff in Autzen Stadium is slated for 2 p.m., with the football game to be televised live on Comcast Sports Net (channel 37) and broadcast on KUGN (590 AM) in Eugene-Springfield, 95.5 The Game in Portland, KSKR (101.1 FM) in Roseburg, and on the O-Zone on Oregon's athletics department's official website, www.goducks.com.

Saturday’s intrasquad clash will mark Oregon’s 15th and final team workout of the off-season before reconven-ing for the start of fall practice in August, with the format intended to provide coaches a true evaluation of where the Ducks stand at the conclusion of the spring.

Coaches collaborated to divide the squad into two equally competitive units rather than utilize a draft system as in the past, with a premium placed on the squad’s first-team offense and defense against one another as well as matching the second-team offense and defense head-to-head.

“We could have placed the first-team offense and defense against the rest of the team as do some schools but I don’t feel that allows you to gain an accurate gauge of the progress you’ve made in the spring, nor does it prepare you for next fall,” Kelly said. “We have attempted to create a competitive environment in all of our spring practices and now is the time to see who is ready to step into the limelight.

“I’ve been really pleased with our effort so far but nothing surpasses game day, which I anticipate everyone to be at their best Saturday.”

Saturday’s simulated game will include a traditional scoring system, with the intention to play four 15-minute quarters along with regulation clock management throughout the duration of the scrimmage. However Kelly said that could change, subject to the health of players involved.

The Ducks will utilize kickoffs to start the first and third quarters, starting all other drives at the offense’s 35-yard line on change of possessions, and will not encompass punting into the format once the game has started.

The White Team will be led by defensive coordinator Nick Aliotti and will include quarterbacks Jeremiah Masoli and Darron Thomas, running backs LeGarrette Blount and Andre Crenshaw, as well as wide receivers Aaron Pflugrad, Jamere Holland and Jeff Maehl. The Green Team, headed by associate head coach Steve Great-wood, will include returning defensive starters Walter Thurmond and T.J. Ward in the secondary, linebackers Casey Matthews and Spencer Paysinger, in addition to defensive end Will Tukuafu.

The east and south gates into Autzen Stadium will open at 1 p.m., with an admission of three non-perishable food items to be donated to Food for Lane Country. Parking in the east lot of Autzen Stadium can be accessed through Entry 4 and 5 via Leo Harris Parkway, with a suggested donation of $2 per vehicle to be given to the Todd Doxey Foundation.

Saturday's football game represents a portion of a full day of activities for the Ducks, beginning with the volleyball team's exhibition vs. Western Washington at 9 a.m. in MacArthur Court, the baseball team's Pac-10 game against UCLA at 1 p.m. at PK Park, as well as the women's soccer team's exhibition game vs. Oregon State at 1 p.m. at Pape Field.
duckscribe
Three Star Recruit

Re: Spring Game Info

Post by duckscribe »

"The White Team will be led by defensive coordinator Nick Aliotti and will include quarterbacks Jeremiah Masoli and Darron Thomas, running backs LeGarrette Blount and Andre Crenshaw, as well as wide receivers Aaron Pflugrad, Jamere Holland and Jeff Maehl. The Green Team, headed by associate head coach Steve Great-wood, will include returning defensive starters Walter Thurmond and T.J. Ward in the secondary, linebackers Casey Matthews and Spencer Paysinger, in addition to defensive end Will Tukuafu."

This is confusing. Is the offense playing the defense the entire game?
Do you need a transfusion of GREEN O Positive?
duckscribe
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckscribe »

Do we have a White team of first string offense, second string defense against a Green team of second string offense and first string defense?

I'm confused.
VinnyKnuckles
Four Star Recruit

Post by VinnyKnuckles »

duckscribe wrote:Do we have a White team of first string offense, second string defense against a Green team of second string offense and first string defense?

I'm confused.
Yes, Chip said he wanted the first team units to face-off against each other, and the second team units to face-off against each other. That is why they constructed the teams in this manner, rather than letting each team draft players.
duckscribe
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckscribe »

So, who's on the Green team offense? Only the Defense is listed above.
OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

heres how it work, when white team is on offense, you will see White as first team offense and Green send out first team defense, When Green is on offense, white 2nd team defense will go against green 2nd team offense. so its balance on both side to get ready for game day.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

chump01284 wrote:heres how it work, when white team is on offense, you will see White as first team offense and Green send out first team defense, When Green is on offense, white 2nd team defense will go against green 2nd team offense. so its balance on both side to get ready for game day.

I really liked the style under MB where they would conduct a draft but this is probably the most effective way to run the spring game. Anything is better than the old point system they used to run. Those were the most boring games ever.
OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
chump01284 wrote:heres how it work, when white team is on offense, you will see White as first team offense and Green send out first team defense, When Green is on offense, white 2nd team defense will go against green 2nd team offense. so its balance on both side to get ready for game day.

I really liked the style under MB where they would conduct a draft but this is probably the most effective way to run the spring game. Anything is better than the old point system they used to run. Those were the most boring games ever.
very true, im really excited for tomorrow spring game. Its good practice for 1st team offense go against 1st team defense. maybe we might see 1st team against 2nd team for 1 or 2 series.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

I think it's more fun for fans to have two drafted teams.

But, from a coaching/evaluation perspective, it's probably easier to judge what you have if you put all the 1's on the field, etc.
stewbertwilloughby
Five Star Recruit

Post by stewbertwilloughby »

wheaton4prez wrote:I think it's more fun for fans to have two drafted teams.

But, from a coaching/evaluation perspective, it's probably easier to judge what you have if you put all the 1's on the field, etc.
I would much rather have the 1's vs the 1's. I also would like to see the progression of the players, and this is really the best way to do it.
GO DUCKS!
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

oh man, Roper looks awful..the offense in general looks bad outside of Masoli. Kicking game already looks bad in protection wise
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

we need the O-Line to be healthy and to get much, much better ... especially the snapping
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

So guys, how did we look? I was only able to read Moseley's blog on the game. I read that it rained pretty hard and that York got hurt. I hope he is ok. Sounds like Roper ended up looking good and that the kicking game was a mess.
BisonDucks
Three Star Recruit

Post by BisonDucks »

Masoli looked absolutely dominate out there. He also looks like a leader, which is great to see. I really think the first team d-line looked bad. I am calling it right now that Montgomery is going to start by fall. He looks like a beast. Blount looked really out of shape. I thought he was only 5 or so pounds from playing weight but to me it appeared to be more. Barner seems to be a viable answer at running back. With him and LMJ back for fall, I am not worried anymore about our depth. Our wide receiving corp is better and guys aren't dropping balls like last year at this time. I know the game was sloppy with errant snaps but this will get shored up.

All in all, we look way better this year than last year. Our running game won't be quite as dynamic this year but it won't have to be. We are going to have a good passing attack. I really hope that we can get some guys to step up at DT, so Bair is not there. Montgomery looked good to me but that was probably against a walk on o-lineman. Iupati is even more highly rated than Montgomery, so here is to hoping these JC guys will be studs and for Simi to keep up the work.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Kicking needs work.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13