Spring Game Info

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Spring Game Info

Post by karlhungis »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Kicking needs work.
Big time. Blount wasn't very impressive either. I liked the passing game though.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Is it safe to assume that our wide receivers will be better than last year? If these guys perform up to their capabilities, I think we are very solid at that position. It sure will be nice if the passing game is better. It will take away the pressure of having to rush for 300 yards a game.
ducksin2010
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducksin2010 »

What i learned today:
kicking game scares me.
Im not worried about Blount not jumping over or running through any one. He will get his yards and will have some one to help him out in the backfield.
receivers will be much improved
O-line didn't bother me until the final 3 sacks.
Littlejohn can hit and run.
DB's are unknown because of injuries
Liked the DL play, but don't know how they do against experienced lines
Any thing i'm leaving out?

I would have liked to see the last 2 minutes without the running clock
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I hope that between Masoli, Roper and Costa, that we can redshirt Thomas. He didn't look very sharp out there. I like the potential, but he doesn't look like he is ready yet. Masoli looked really good and once Roper got going, he looked pretty good as well.

I am still worried about the O-Line. The lack of a good running game and the many high snaps were pretty worrisome.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
BisonDucks
Three Star Recruit

Post by BisonDucks »

karlhungis wrote:I hope that between Masoli, Roper and Costa, that we can redshirt Thomas. He didn't look very sharp out there. I like the potential, but he doesn't look like he is ready yet. Masoli looked really good and once Roper got going, he looked pretty good as well.

I am still worried about the O-Line. The lack of a good running game and the many high snaps were pretty worrisome.
Honestly, the lack of a good running game shouldn't be a worry. We were the #2 team in the country last year. There will be drop off from last year but there were several contributing factors for the lack of a running game - Blount (out of shape), Crenshaw (very limited), Alston (injured), LMJ (rehabbing a shoulder), Thran (rehabbing), Keiser (rehabbing), Weems (injured), etc. I think the one good thing we can take from today's running game is that Barner is a viable option and adds good depth to this team. As for the snaps, we have all summer and fall to correct the timing.
Destroyer77
Five Star Recruit

Post by Destroyer77 »

1. Kenjon Barner should stay at RB. He is JJ reborn.
2. Chad Peppars can hit and will make some big plays for us on special teams.
3. Jamere Holland might be the most dangerous man on the field.
4. I'm going to now say "I told you so!" about Blake Cantu. The kid is a larger version of Pflugrad.
5. We looked better this spring compared to last spring.
6. No major injuries occurred.
7. Harper will get the ball in his hands.
BisonDucks
Three Star Recruit

Post by BisonDucks »

Destroyer77 wrote:1. Kenjon Barner should stay at RB. He is JJ reborn.
2. Chad Peppars can hit and will make some big plays for us on special teams.
3. Jamere Holland might be the most dangerous man on the field.
4. I'm going to now say "I told you so!" about Blake Cantu. The kid is a larger version of Pflugrad.
5. We looked better this spring compared to last spring.
6. No major injuries occurred.
7. Harper will get the ball in his hands.
I am going to add:

8. Montgomery looks like a beast and will add much needed to DT.
VinnyKnuckles
Four Star Recruit

Post by VinnyKnuckles »

The best thing about the game was no apparent major injuries. Carson York strained his achilles, but that should heal up nicely with a little rest.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

1. Snapping was horrendous. Several completely lost plays due to snaps and many added time to QB reads due to high or low ones.

2. Darron Thomas didn't have a great day. He was under a lot of pressure from the d-line. So, that might have thrown him off. That one long run he had showed great open-field ability. It looked to me like he converted that play but they marked it 4th and 1.

3. Either the kicking team is horrible or the kick blocking team is amazing.

4. Holland looked great. Even though he didn't have a productive day stats-wise, you could see that he's going to be a factor this year. One step on the backfield and he's gone. I didn't think that they needed to go so deep to him. He doesn't need that much field to break away from defenders. I would like to see more medium long passes his way like stop-and-go hitting him around 20 yards out.

5. Masoli looked sharp in the medium game over the middle. I don't remember seeing that last year. Showed great read progression and touch when he hit Ed Dickson long on the flag route.

6. Roper needs to work on those short to medium middle passes. Most of the drops we did have were bad ball placement over the middle.

7. Cantu and Tuinei look to have great hands. Credit also to the QB's for seeing and hitting those guys right on the sideline. Not easy to do. BUT, on a couple of those plays, the coverage was completely blown. I sure hope that the CB's we have on injury or maybe even Cliff Harris will have that side sewn up a lot better in the Fall.

8. It didn't seem to me that it was a running back problem in the running game. The o-line is really far behind. The RB's were already being chased in the backfield, the moment they took the ball. I hope we don't find out in the fall that the reason our d-line looks good is that our o-line is that bad.

9. Harper looked good. Amazing TD catch. I hope he's liking the role being carved out for him.

10. I'm not a fan of those running screens that started late last year and were all over the spring game. The ball is in the air for a long time, giving defenders time to start breaking to the ball. Then, the receiver has a moment where they stop to catch and by then, they are standing with a couple full-speed defenders coming right at them. It risks fumbles and interceptions and doesn't seem to gain more than 2-3 yards consistently. I prefer to see out routes from the slot to utilize that part of the field. That way you can lead away from the defender. But, I'm no Chip Kelly. :)

11. Pflugrad looked great. Dickson looked great.

12. Hello Peppars.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

I think the one reason why the offense didn't have many big plays is one the defense is used to practicing against the offense all of the time so they know what is coming and the coaches never get too creative with the play calling, they keep it basic as to not give any film for opposing teams. The kicking game is worrisome but some of that might have been the weather. All in all I think the team is a lot better this year than at this point last year. I am looking forward to fall and already have hotel reservations for Boise and am just waiting for tickets to go on sale!
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

Did anyone else notice when Giansante was saying that GameDay has already booked rooms in Eugene for several games this year?
stewbertwilloughby
Five Star Recruit

Post by stewbertwilloughby »

wheaton4prez wrote:1. Snapping was horrendous. Several completely lost plays due to snaps and many added time to QB reads due to high or low ones.

2. Darron Thomas didn't have a great day. He was under a lot of pressure from the d-line. So, that might have thrown him off. That one long run he had showed great open-field ability. It looked to me like he converted that play but they marked it 4th and 1.

3. Either the kicking team is horrible or the kick blocking team is amazing.

4. Holland looked great. Even though he didn't have a productive day stats-wise, you could see that he's going to be a factor this year. One step on the backfield and he's gone. I didn't think that they needed to go so deep to him. He doesn't need that much field to break away from defenders. I would like to see more medium long passes his way like stop-and-go hitting him around 20 yards out.

5. Masoli looked sharp in the medium game over the middle. I don't remember seeing that last year. Showed great read progression and touch when he hit Ed Dickson long on the flag route.

6. Roper needs to work on those short to medium middle passes. Most of the drops we did have were bad ball placement over the middle.

7. Cantu and Tuinei look to have great hands. Credit also to the QB's for seeing and hitting those guys right on the sideline. Not easy to do. BUT, on a couple of those plays, the coverage was completely blown. I sure hope that the CB's we have on injury or maybe even Cliff Harris will have that side sewn up a lot better in the Fall.

8. It didn't seem to me that it was a running back problem in the running game. The o-line is really far behind. The RB's were already being chased in the backfield, the moment they took the ball. I hope we don't find out in the fall that the reason our d-line looks good is that our o-line is that bad.

9. Harper looked good. Amazing TD catch. I hope he's liking the role being carved out for him.

10. I'm not a fan of those running screens that started late last year and were all over the spring game. The ball is in the air for a long time, giving defenders time to start breaking to the ball. Then, the receiver has a moment where they stop to catch and by then, they are standing with a couple full-speed defenders coming right at them. It risks fumbles and interceptions and doesn't seem to gain more than 2-3 yards consistently. I prefer to see out routes from the slot to utilize that part of the field. That way you can lead away from the defender. But, I'm no Chip Kelly. :)

11. Pflugrad looked great. Dickson looked great.

12. Hello Peppars.
The "slip screen" is actually a great play, when ran correctly. I remember J-will get numerous touchdowns over the last three years on that play. The players didn't run the route as well, and like others have said, it seemed like the D knew it was coming.
GO DUCKS!
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

echo31 wrote:Did anyone else notice when Giansante was saying that GameDay has already booked rooms in Eugene for several games this year?
I think he said ESPN has booked rooms in Eugene for 3 games already. ESPN will be in town for those three games to be shown on ESPN and they always book rooms in towns for potential GameDay locations, so Autzen/Eugene could be a GameDay location if the Ducks take care of business. I think Cal and USC could be the chosen, depending on how Oregon State does that could be chosen as well. The Ducks will be on ESPN at Boise State and against Oregon State and ABC or ESPN/ESPN2 against Purdue or Utah and Cal and USC. Kilkenny said those five games are guaranteed and will bring a lot of revenue to the school.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

It's great to hear that Masoli looks good and ready and seems to be improved over last season. As we saw with Dixon, the sky is the limit with this team if they get great qb play.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Belloti told Giansante before the game started that the Ducks were only going to run 'a few plays'... Sounds like they were deliberately keeping it simple to not show anything to potential opponents, as well as the fact that this would tend to make it easier for the D to read/anticipate what the O is going to do.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!