Helfrich Tabbed to Tutor Duck Quarterbacks

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

dthomas=ddixon

Helfrich Tabbed to Tutor Duck Quarterbacks

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

http://oregon.scout.com/2/861674.html

"EUGENE – Mark Helfrich, who has spent the past three seasons as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Colorado, has been named offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Oregon according to an announcement Thursday by the Ducks’ first-year football head coach Chip Kelly.

The former Coos Bay, Ore., resident who was born in Medford(10/28/73) and former Oregon graduate assistant coach (1997) brings with him 11 years of experience coaching quarterbacks at the NCAA Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I) level at Boise State (1998-2000), Arizona State (2001-05) and Colorado (2006-08), and will concentrate his efforts on the Ducks’ passing attack.

In addition, Kelly announced that 24-year Oregon assistant coach Steve Greatwood has been given the additional title of running game coordinator."

Kelly on the 2 moves: “Mark not only impressed me as a very intelligent individual but as someone who utilized that knowledge to coach quarterbacks at both Boise State and Arizona State,” Kelly said. “He has earned a national reputation for developing quarterbacks and played a key role in the emergence of Andrew Walter and Rudy Carpenter at Arizona State. He was highly recommended by everyone he has ever worked with and I view him as one of the rising offensive minds in this game.

“I credit much of our success running the football the last two seasons to Steve Greatwood, which is why I feel he has earned the opportunity to expand his role with the Oregon offense,” Kelly added. “There is no doubt we benefitted from outstanding players at key positions that contributed to our unprecedented success on the ground, but Steve’s ability to develop some of the best offensive linemen in school history cannot be overlooked.”

I think this is actually a really good move. Helfrich was at his best as a QB coach/passing coordinator at ASU & with Greatwood being named Running Game Coordinator it looks like that's what he'll be here. I think this will end up being a great move.
Last edited by dthomas=ddixon on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Re: Helfrich Tabbed to Tutor Duck Quarterbacks

Post by duckgrad99 »

I'm kind of confused. The headline says "Tutor Duck quarterbacks", yet below that it says offensive coordinator as well.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

In the same way that my first urge was to criticize picking Kelly to be the OC a couple years ago, I want to say this is stupid. But I think we should definitely give Kelly a chance to prove that he knows what he's doing. Maybe with Kelly running the run game (pun not really intended) and Helfrich controlling the pass game, our offense will be at its best in both facets of the game. Or maybe Helfrich won't be right for us. We'll just wait, see, and hope for the best.
Destroyer77
Five Star Recruit

Post by Destroyer77 »

I'm confused by the hire a bit because, while he has mentored some pretty good QB's, they've all been pro style offensive QB's. Perhaps dividing the duties of "running game coordinator" and "passing game coordinator" will take care of that part, but I hope the new layer of authority doesn't confuse anybody on the staff.

My first feeling is "huh"... but I've learned to give the man a solid chance before criticizing something I know nothing about.
huckthefuskies
Three Star Recruit

Post by huckthefuskies »

To me this all makes decent sense. Kelly is a new head coach in a new job. Offense is what got him in it and is what he has to offer at this point. I doubt he has the confidence to turn that over to a new and unproven person yet. I also doubt he can bring in a upper tier offensive cordinator when he isn't going to really let them be one because he is going to hold on to most of these responsibilities. A young and upcoming coach with the state of Oregon roots that can be taught Kelly's spread but won't mind the job even if it means it is mostly title. You can't just bring in a guy, give them a senior title, higher wage probably to boot when they really do not have the true responsibiliy of that title if you have a 20 plus year veteran proven on your team that is really doing something. Seems like Chip is shuffling titles around trying to keep everyone happy. It also reminds me a little of Gundy at Oklahoma State. Not exactly, but again a head coach that also wants to be the offensive cordinator so assistants all get hybrid titles.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

huckthefuskies wrote:To me this all makes decent sense. Kelly is a new head coach in a new job. Offense is what got him in it and is what he has to offer at this point. I doubt he has the confidence to turn that over to a new and unproven person yet. I also doubt he can bring in a upper tier offensive cordinator when he isn't going to really let them be one because he is going to hold on to most of these responsibilities. A young and upcoming coach with the state of Oregon roots that can be taught Kelly's spread but won't mind the job even if it means it is mostly title. You can't just bring in a guy, give them a senior title, higher wage probably to boot when they really do not have the true responsibiliy of that title if you have a 20 plus year veteran proven on your team that is really doing something. Seems like Chip is shuffling titles around trying to keep everyone happy. It also reminds me a little of Gundy at Oklahoma State. Not exactly, but again a head coach that also wants to be the offensive cordinator so assistants all get hybrid titles.
Good points. Helfrich essentially went from being the OC of a D-1 team to the QB coach of another. That would be really hard to get any other OC to do. He won't be calling plays, he will be in charge of QBs & the pasing game, I don't really feel like there's anything to worry about.

And really, our passing game can only improve. It wasn't very good last year so I don't much reason to worry. The running game, the strength of this team, won't be affected.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Good points. Helfrich essentially went from being the OC of a D-1 team to the QB coach of another. That would be really hard to get any other OC to do. He won't be calling plays, he will be in charge of QBs & the pasing game, I don't really feel like there's anything to worry about.

And really, our passing game can only improve. It wasn't very good last year so I don't much reason to worry. The running game, the strength of this team, won't be affected.[/quote]

Ok, that makes sense now. If he is coming in as strictly in charge of QB's and the passing game, I have no problem at all with the hire. The only concern I have is how he will work with QB's in the spread offense.
huckthefuskies
Three Star Recruit

Post by huckthefuskies »

Have no fear. I would almost guarantee that Chip will be micro managing all aspects of the offense this year at least. I bet he will be watching the qb's coach as much as the qb's :!: The stranger part might be that the two of you guys are almost agreeing with me :o
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Hopefully, Campbell doesn't feel that Greatwood's promotion stepped on his toes...
jhopduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by jhopduck »

Do work Helfrich.
We do know this CK has no quams about clearing out dead weight on the coaching staff, so I doubt he lets Helfrich hurt us too badly in any way.
Besides Chip likes to learn different parts of the game from different people, Helfrich probably brings something to the table completely different than CK has mastered at this point.
Twitter: @JHopkins541

Email: duckterritoryjustin@gmail.com
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

jhopduck wrote:Do work Helfrich.
We do know this CK has no quams about clearing out dead weight on the coaching staff, so I doubt he lets Helfrich hurt us too badly in any way.
Besides Chip likes to learn different parts of the game from different people, Helfrich probably brings something to the table completely different than CK has mastered at this point.
That's a great point Jhop. Why not switch things up with a traditional offense once in awhile? Some hybrid type plays. Talk about confusing every single opponent. They'll never know what hits them when. I like the prospect! Everybody is scratching their head about this hire and expecting it not to work. I, for one, trust Chip & MB to do what's right for this team. MB hired this unknown OC out of the East and that's worked out pretty well as far as I'm concerned. I'll be anxious to see more magic!
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

jhopduck wrote:Do work Helfrich.
Rob & Big fan?
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

Keep in mind that in time, defenses will learn how to better defend and contain the Spread. It is not a bad idea for Kelly to be constantly changing things up and looking to new offensive wrinkles in order to keep defenses guessing and confused.