Spring Game surprise player

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

stewbertwilloughby
Five Star Recruit

Spring Game surprise player

Post by stewbertwilloughby »

I would say the surprise player was Simi Toeaina. I know he was playing well throughout the spring, but he looked like an animal today. He was very explosive off the ball, and was in the backfield all day. I really hope the oline comes together, but I'll be more confident when CE Keizer, Bo Thran, and Derrion Weems are healthy.
GO DUCKS!
dthomas=ddixon

Re: Spring Game surprise player

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I'm in the middle of watching it on goducks but I think Blake Cantu has to be mentioned. 5 catches for 111 yds including a 60 yrd TD. That's pretty dang impressive.
Destroyer77
Five Star Recruit

Post by Destroyer77 »

Jamere Holland.... although I don't think one would be suprised after all we've been hearing.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Destroyer77 wrote:Jamere Holland.... although I don't think one would be suprised after all we've been hearing.
Surprising as in he didn't do much? He had 3 catches for 8 yds. Or were you talking about Spring as a whole?
liberalduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by liberalduck »

I thought Lavasier Tuinuei (sp) looked pretty good. That one catch down the sideline that was rules incomplete was fantastic. I personally think he had possession in bounds. But in any case, it looked awesome. He does need to gain some weight though. I don't want to see him get broken in half by Taylor Mays. :)
BisonDucks
Three Star Recruit

Post by BisonDucks »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Destroyer77 wrote:Jamere Holland.... although I don't think one would be suprised after all we've been hearing.
Surprising as in he didn't do much? He had 3 catches for 8 yds. Or were you talking about Spring as a whole?
Holland looked dynamic out there; he was just badly overthrown when he was a good three steps behind the secondary.
VinnyKnuckles
Four Star Recruit

Post by VinnyKnuckles »

Chad Peppars was probably the biggest surprise, coming out of obscurity to lead all players in tackles and making several big plays on special teams.

Fans that didn't follow the team very closely during the spring may have been surprised by Pflugrad, but his performance wouldn't have come as a surprise to those that did. The coaches were praising him for his work prior to the spring, have consistently lavished praise on him throughout the spring and he has consistently been one of the top performers during the practices, scrimmages and now the Spring Game.

Jamere Holland's lack of production in the Spring Game could be considered somewhat surprising, but it isn't really anything to worry about. He showed his speed getting open deep a few times and easily could have had a couple of big catches with better throws.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

BisonDucks wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Holland looked dynamic out there; he was just badly overthrown when he was a good three steps behind the secondary.
Yeah you're right. I posted that before I had watched the whole game, just saw the stats.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Pflu and LT both looked good.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
BisonDucks
Three Star Recruit

Post by BisonDucks »

Did anyone else think that Montgomery looked good?
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

BisonDucks wrote:Did anyone else think that Montgomery looked good?
I notice him on a few plays. He had 2 "touch" tackles on Roper in a row at one point.

One thing that surprised me was seeing NaDerris Ward at LT for the 2nd team offense. Obviously there's a lot of injuries but I didn't expect him to be that high on the depth chart. I figured he was more of a "project" at LT.
VinnyKnuckles
Four Star Recruit

Post by VinnyKnuckles »

It is really hard to judge anyone on the defensive line, particularly the second team guys, considering the level of competition they were facing.
BisonDucks
Three Star Recruit

Post by BisonDucks »

VinnyKnuckles wrote:
It is really hard to judge anyone on the defensive line, particularly the second team guys, considering the level of competition they were facing.
I agree that it's hard to gauge. Although he did come in on the 1st team defense, so he was presumably going against the best 5 of the day.

As for the oline there were some 4 or 5 walk-ons in Golpashin, Forer, Barker, Fritz, & Gates that come to mind. Anybody hear anything about these guys maybe playing well enough to earn a scholarship? We have Thran, Asper, Holmes, Keiser, Weems, Cody, Charmichael, York with 3 true frosh coming in (Benyard, Fox & Burrell). Presumably we'll have one of those guys in the rotation with Benyard being the most ready. Seems like 9 would be enough for the unit but I'm not exactly sure considering 11/12 (not sure on Teague) scholarship guys were available last year (not counting guys who redshirted). I never followed the offensive linemen very closely until this year (except for the starters).
VinnyKnuckles
Four Star Recruit

Post by VinnyKnuckles »

BisonDucks wrote:
VinnyKnuckles wrote:
I agree that it's hard to gauge. Although he did come in on the 1st team defense, so he was presumably going against the best 5 of the day.
Wasn't Montgomery on the white team, which had the 2nd string defense, facing the green team, which had the 2nd string offense? I believe so, which means he was facing a bunch of walk-ons and players learning the offensive line after switching from different positions.
ducksvb6
Three Star Recruit

Post by ducksvb6 »

Bisonduck,

I attended 3 of Benyards games last years. His size was a major factor in his success . He needs a red shirt year to improve footwork and strength.