South Florida coach Jim Leavitt's ballot

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

South Florida coach Jim Leavitt's ballot

Post by Tray Dub »

And Oregon is nowhere to be found in the top 25. Maybe still some sore loserness over at USF?

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.d ... =204781595
HomeFieldAdvantage
Three Star Recruit

Re: South Florida coach Jim Leavitt's ballot

Post by HomeFieldAdvantage »

Ha ha! First ballot in the country with even ONE Big East team on it, let alone FOUR! That is really sad.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

The Big East bias is obvious, but Florida State at #10? They need to find a way to eliminate personal bias like this or drop the coaches poll altogether.

Does anyone else remember Steve Spurrier voting for a VERY crappy Duke team a few years back out of "loyalty?"

Either do it right or don't do it at all. Leavitt should have his voting privileges taken away.
John 3:36
gregspechtismyhero
Freshman

Post by gregspechtismyhero »

Well, at least BSU isn't up there either.
In Helfrich, Frost, and Allioti we trust
Image (USA Today Sports)
AIM: hockeygoalie923
Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

Preseason and IMO the most useless of polls; if this was after the Ducks breaking the bronc's then I would be indignant about the issue. Right now it's closing in on put up or shut time.
Frankly I am a nervous nellie waiting on pins and needles for this season to start and see this team live up to its potential.

GO DUCKS!
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

Unreal... the Coaches Poll has USF at 41st, but this d-bag coach has his own team at 18. Thats pretty reasonable. At least Leavitt is being totally non subjective. :roll:

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

There should be zero polls involved in determining any rankings that bowl placements are reliant on.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

To me, the coaches' poll is almost irrelevant since it has no deciding factor in the BCS. On the other polls, though, I believe that they should wait until after every team has played at least 3 games or until every team has played at least 1 conference game.
J-Boy
One Star Recruit

Post by J-Boy »

The coaches poll is 1/3 of the BCS (1/3 computer, 1/3 Harris)
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I must have gotten the Coaches' and AP polls mixed up. I still don't think the polls should be done until after like a month into the season since the pre-season polls gives teams higher up a leg up on those further down and teams should be rated on their play rather than just looking at who is coming back. Plus, I think that coaches should have their ballots looked at every week. Coaches shouldn't be able to hide behind a cloak of anonymity when putting out ballots that may be skewed too far to one side or another.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

greenyellow wrote:To me, the coaches' poll is almost irrelevant since it has no deciding factor in the BCS. On the other polls, though, I believe that they should wait until after every team has played at least 3 games or until every team has played at least 1 conference game.
I agree with your thinking, but that wouldn't work either since many of the "top" teams schedule wimps as their non-conference opponents and there's no way to effectively judge a team based on one conference game. The only way something like that could work is if there was a mandatory rule put into place that stated every team had to face a minimum of two teams, either BCS or mid-major as their non-conference opponents each year. They could play one "gimme", but they'd be forced to play better teams in the other two games. Something like that could even be set up as a "round robin" like the NFL does each year.

Just thinking out loud. :)
John 3:36
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Leavitt clearly has no bias towards his team and his conference.

This is why polls suck. I really think just duck fans should vote for polls in the future. We are more reasonable and fair when it comes to voting.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
neezy3
Four Star Recruit

Post by neezy3 »

haha thats funny about spurrier my buddy told me he always votes duke at 25 every year just because he coached there back in the day.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

It's true, or at least it was. Spurrier would cast a top 25 vote for Duke every year.
AKA: CAgrown