The misconseption of UO

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

The misconseption of UO

Post by buckmarkduck »

After reading the BSu site as well as all these "experts", does anyone else think that they all are missing what Oregon was doing at the end of last year. That is we weren't finessing our way to wins. Some how BSu fans think they will our physical us. Against OS and Ok St our UO litterly took both those teams out back with the brass knuckles and physically beat the crap out of them. Yeah they can say our O is all about trickery but at the same time LGB, Masoli and our Oline are as physical as any O we have had at uo in the last 20-30 years.

I personally can't wait for next week, because I think BSu fans are about to get a very rude wake up call in the form of Masoli running over a safety and Ward knocking the crap out of there QB and RB's. I honestly can see our D playing this game a lot like the game they played down in Fresno a few years back, where JD Nelson was knocking WRs out left and right. Well this is just my two cents and I can't wait for game day to come!

Go Ducks make dog food out of the donkeys!
akili1133
Three Star Recruit

Re: The misconseption of UO

Post by akili1133 »

I think you might be right. Lots of people think spread and think finess, but the Ducks don't run the typical spread offense. The ducks are a very physical team. You don't win two conference rushing titles in a row by being a finess team. I guess we will have to wait and see, but I believe we will cram the ball down Boise's throat.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

To be honest, I have not been this worried about a season in a long time. Expectations are through the roof, and I see a lot of problems with this team, including O Line, RB depth, and QB play.

buckmarkduck wrote:After reading the BSu site as well as all these "experts", does anyone else think that they all are missing what Oregon was doing at the end of last year. That is we weren't finessing our way to wins. Some how BSu fans think they will our physical us. Against OS and Ok St our UO litterly took both those teams out back with the brass knuckles and physically beat the crap out of them. Yeah they can say our O is all about trickery but at the same time LGB, Masoli and our Oline are as physical as any O we have had at uo in the last 20-30 years.

I personally can't wait for next week, because I think BSu fans are about to get a very rude wake up call in the form of Masoli running over a safety and Ward knocking the crap out of there QB and RB's. I honestly can see our D playing this game a lot like the game they played down in Fresno a few years back, where JD Nelson was knocking WRs out left and right. Well this is just my two cents and I can't wait for game day to come!

Go Ducks make dog food out of the donkeys!
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

I'm not worried about this year, worst case I see us at 8-4, best case is through the roof. I understand your concerns about OLine play, but QB play and RB depth, IMO, are unsubstantiated concerns. I don't believe that if LBG goes down, we all of a sudden will not be able to run the football. As far as QB play goes, I believe we have 2 QBs we can win with now, depth may eventually be a problem (knock on wood), but the quality of play from our first 2 QBs should be, at the very least, good enough to win 8 games.

The BSU fans are right to a point about our Offense. It is based on misdirection and deception; makes the defense play fundamentally sound, assignment football. It is a fallacy though, as you point out, to associate that style with being a finesse team. We are a very physical, spread option team. The principles our O works from are the same type that you see at GT and the Academies; we just do it from different sets.
AKA: CAgrown
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

They can call it whatever they want. The bottom line is that it scored more points than them over the season, against better defenses than they faced.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

I am not worried about the O-Line because Greatwood is the O-Line coach, I am more concerned about the secondary which gets burned in the passing game every year regardless of talent and experience..... look at last season.
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

gofightingducks wrote: I am more concerned about the secondary which gets burned in the passing game every year regardless of talent and experience..... look at last season.
A lot of that doesn't have to do with personnel, but defensive scheme.... load up to stop the run and put the DB's on an island. Chung and Byrd both got drafted and so will WT3. 3 of the 4 from last years secondary...

Just sayin...

GO DUCKS!

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
duckscribe
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckscribe »

Keep the faith, Duck fans. You will see players conditioned like never before, killing speed and lots of surprises. If you haven't watched the growth of the players during the recent fall camp, get ready for a wild ride.
Do you need a transfusion of GREEN O Positive?
wiseforexinvestor
Three Star Recruit

Post by wiseforexinvestor »

Having your team taken for granted is a blessing, especially when it is the first game of the season. Just imagine what the announcers are going to say when the score is run up and Masoli, Blunt, and Ward have ran through people and James has run by people.

I am comfortable in this under dog role. We took down Michigan twice, Oklahoma, USC, and Oregon St (last year) as the under dog. No worries.

The one thing you can't control in this game is the officiating. As long as the Ducks keep their play clean I think we will be fine but any hint of retaliation and we could be getting some players ejected. So if the plan is payback then at least send out a 4th stringer to do the damage.

Out
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

wheaton4prez wrote:They can call it whatever they want. The bottom line is that it scored more points than them over the season, against better defenses than they faced.

Agreed. Remember though, this time we're the team with something to prove.
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

Elduderino wrote:Agreed. Remember though, this time we're the team with something to prove.
This is our Super Bowl! :lol: :lol: :?

Stupid Giansante!
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

echo31 wrote:
Elduderino wrote:Agreed. Remember though, this time we're the team with something to prove.
This is our Super Bowl! :lol: :lol: :?

Stupid Giansante!

Lol, great now I'm being grouped with Joe....I need to get my life together :(
freedjr
Four Star Recruit

Post by freedjr »

Personally, I don't really care what the Donkies think. Bottom line, they barely beat our 5th string QB last year, and that was with a ton of turnovers. Give them credit for winning, but this year is different.

The nice thing is all will be answered on Thursday.
Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

The Ducks finished last year with an attitude that IMO Kelly has been able to tap and carry over to this years squad. BSU caught last year's Duck team overconfident and unfocused which won't happen this year.