Kick Blount off the team

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OreDucks01284
Senior

Re: Kick Blount off the team

Post by OreDucks01284 »

duckgrad99 wrote:I imagine we will get a better idea of everything that happened in the next few days. He should definitely be suspended. Beyond that, I really don't know right now.
who get to decide to suspect or kick him out? AD? or Head coach?
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Oh LGB, you had such promise and talent.. you hurdled and stiff-armed your way into the hearts of Oregon fans and became a Dark Horse Heisman candidate. But on one night in Boise that all went out the window.
From the getgo you looked slow and out of shape but hey we can deal, but then came the end..While the whole team is taking the loss like sportsmen you act like a complete thug. You first punched an opposing player then you punch your own teammate. All the Oregon fans hope its the end but no, you just getting started at trying to ruin the image of Oregon Football something that is bigger than even you LGB. You then try and fight fans and if that is not enough you fight with your own coaches and must be literally pulled back. Way to stay classy. Way to represent the Oregon Ducks. Stay classy.
Mops
Four Star Recruit

Post by Mops »

I spoke to the Oregon post game crew before they went on air and things at least in their opinion don't look good for Oregon and I have to agree. Blount is most likely going to be let go. He may be kept on the team and this is how I'd see things going.

Blount being suspended indefinitely until Kelly sees fit to let him back in. While being held out, Blount must do over 200 hours of community service while keeping a certain grade point average and all the while staying in shape to play. Most likely around November Blount will be re-examined and things will go from there. One little slip up and he's gone.

That said, IMO he's gone.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I think that everyone involved in this situation didn't handle it like they should have. Cooler head should have prevailed but they didn't. The BSU player who was punched should never have shoved or said anything to Blount. You can see Peterson trying to calm and seperate him but he was still kind of going at Blount. The fans in the stands who were taunting Blount needed to exercise better judgement in talking about Blount or his family in a derogatory manner. Finally, Blount needed to show better composure since he is a starter and and a senior. He should know better by now. He needs to issue a personal apology for the punch to the BSU right away. Pushing his teammates/coaches was also uncalled for and I think that he needs to apologize for that as well. This right now is a teachable moment for not just Blount, but also for the teams and the fans as well.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Look, if he had been a model citizen, then I'd be way more forgiving. But he was already suspended for blowing off workouts and not being dedicated (anyone who buys that miscommunication with coaches/being sick BS is naive at best), he went home and didn't make any effort to help his team by at least maintaining weight, instead ballooning up to 250+, and now he assaults another player and his own teammates and embarrasses the program? He had his second chance. He has shown he's selfish and detrimental to the team and the program. Goodbye Blount.
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

I guess I left the pub a minute too early, trying to avoid witnessing the final train wreck. I saw the video on youtube: the sucker punch and LGB going after the crowd. I didn't see Blount go after a fellow teammate. Who was it and where is it on the video?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

cmmadness wrote:I guess I left the pub a minute too early, trying to avoid witnessing the final train wreck. I saw the video on youtube: the sucker punch and LGB going after the crowd. I didn't see Blount go after a fellow teammate. Who was it and where is it on the video?
It was after he punched the BSU player and it was #86 Garrett Embry.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Tray Dub wrote:
wheaton4prez wrote:From the looks of this thread, this might be an unpopular opinion. But, I don't think Blount should be off the team at all. I think that there are others that share responsibility here. Should he be punished? Yes. We need to hold the highest standard possible. But, the Bronco got physical with him while talking crap in his face after a hard fought game. It may have been intended as a "tap" or whatever. But, you don't get a free pass if you're getting into peoples space like that.

Then, it looks to me like that dude in the white hat in the BSU crowd calls him the N word. If I'm seeing that correctly, enough said.
Sorry, but :lol: ... That was a punch. The highest standard is to have zero tolerance for s*** like that. So if you mean it when you say we should hold our players to the standard possible, then you can't logically say he shouldn't be off the team.
That wasn't what I meant. By highest standard possible, I mean that Blount should have been tapped and talked at like that and called the N word and been able to not react. Therefore, he should be punished for failing to do that.

However, I think that throwing him off the team would be excessive. Honestly, if I was in the same position, I would have done the same thing or worse. So, I can't really call for the guys future as a football player to be executed because he doesn't represent me perfectly from some forum post.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

jasnwip wrote:Wheaton,

I respect your opinions but trust me when I tell you, you have know choice but to kick Blount off of this team. It will tear apart the validity of our program, hurt recruiting, and give know credibility to Chip. He is an adult and could be arrested for his actions. We must not forget it is an honor to play big time college football not a right. He blew it and it's not his first time. Please fellow Duck fans look at this correctly, we must not allow this behavior or our program will be knocked back 20 years. As a father if my child was thinking about going to Oregon and I didn't know what I know about the program this would keep me from allowing him to go. It looked like a huge lack of disicpline and that starts at the top. The only was to fix it is to act NOW and dismiss him.
Suspending him for a number of games is not "allowing it to happen."
addictedtoquack
Three Star Recruit

Post by addictedtoquack »

Once the last play was blown dead and the whole BSU team flooded the field and Blount was all alone in the middle of it, I had a feeling something bad was gonna happen, but I never expected it to be that bad. I can't say what should happen to Blount because I just don't know. I like the guy, he's a hell of a player but that kind of thing can't happen. I hate to see him kicked off the team, or even suspended for that matter, but we can't be the school that will look the other way in a situation like that just to keep a good player. Who knows, maybe some special consideration should be given since Blount had just dealt with a death in his family and had to have been very frustrated that he was out of shape and playing terribly. Plus who knows what all was said to him by the BSU player or any of the fans, it certainly looks like the fan called him the N word.
gosterman01
Three Star Recruit

Post by gosterman01 »

He needs to go. I feel for him but what he did was not acceptable at all! He shouldn't have hit that guy to begin with. If your going to talk S##T you have to take it as well.
J-Boy
One Star Recruit

Post by J-Boy »

I watched the game live, and have seen many replays to this point. What I saw was an initial, adrenaline filled response to an opposing player who verbally and physically taunted LGB and he responded with 'shock and awe' to the provocation. While this is not excusable, and requires a suspension deemed appropriate by the team, the University and the NCAA, I do not think an expulsion is warranted, either explicit or implicit.

After the punch, we saw a swing at a teammate in the heat of the moment that needs to be addressed by the team and coaches.

The restraint needed on the way to the locker room was brought about by a fan who, if I saw correctly, said something racially derogatory towards LGB. Anyone who thinks that calling an African American the N word is acceptable, and LGB should have shrugged it off (already hot and adrenalized) is clearly delusional. If I had been there, I would have popped the guy myself.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I don't think you can expect most people to react calmly to possibly being called a racial epithet after being in such a charged moment. While in hindsight we say he should have acted better, I don't think we can honestly say how we would have reacted to being called something racial in the heat of the moment. The only moment in my life that comes close to this is when I was called a racial epithet during a football game while getting off a big pile. The only reasons I didn't react was because the official was right there to get that player off the field and the discipline I learned from my parents and my coaches (would have been suspended for a half if I had gotten a personal foul and had to run laps until I couldn't stand no more.)
ljginger
Three Star Recruit

Post by ljginger »

I wouldn't be surprised if Blount was called the "n" word it is Idaho we're talking about...
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Even if he did, he can't react the way he did. Fans are going to try to get a rise out of you. You don't talk back, and you NEVER attack your own teammate.