Blount Speaks

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

wheaton4prez
Senior

Re: Blount Speaks

Post by wheaton4prez »

J-Boy wrote:I really think we as a society in general, and on this board especially, need to wait until all the facts are in. I initially thought the worst based on ESPN coverage of the game, but have since learned that it was several separate incidents, all involving a young man (LGB) strung together to make it seem worse than it was. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still hearing arguments for the prosecution, and the defense still needs to speak
I have it on DVR and have re-watched a couple times to try and get a better understanding of how it broke down.

The way it was filmed makes it seem like it lasted a lot longer than it did. The first thing they showed was actually in the middle of it AFTER the punch. Then, they went back and showed the punch. Then back to somewhere around where they left off. Then the crowd altercation. Then another angle of the same crowd altercation that looks like something else happening after. So, it's tough to tell how long the whole ordeal was.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

If Vick can be responsible for killing dogs and not have his career ended, Blount shouldn't have his entire career ended for punching a guy who hit him in the shoulder and was jeering in his face 2 seconds after a big loss.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

wheaton4prez wrote:If Vick can be responsible for killing dogs and not have his career ended, Blount shouldn't have his entire career ended for punching a guy who hit him in the shoulder and was jeering in his face 2 seconds after a big loss.
Vick wasn't allowed to play for several years and had to sit in jail. Blount would continue to get a free education and just not get to play on the Oregon Ducks. He hit one of his teammates and sucker punched a BSU guy. He made our team look like s***. He already showed he's not dedicated to this team in the past offseason. Get him off the team.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Tray Dub wrote:
wheaton4prez wrote:If Vick can be responsible for killing dogs and not have his career ended, Blount shouldn't have his entire career ended for punching a guy who hit him in the shoulder and was jeering in his face 2 seconds after a big loss.
Vick wasn't allowed to play for several years and had to sit in jail. Blount would continue to get a free education and just not get to play on the Oregon Ducks. He hit one of his teammates and sucker punched a BSU guy. He made our team look like s***. He already showed he's not dedicated to this team in the past offseason. Get him off the team.
And after Vick wasn't allowed to play (is less than two years "several years"?), he was allowed to play. If Blount is off the team, he is likely not ever going to play again. That is arguably as harsh or worse than the effective penalty to Vick.

It was not a sucker punch. Hout instigated the altercation by hitting Blount and jeering in his face. To call Blount's reaction a sucker punch is like saying that Brett Favre was sucker kicked the other night when he purposely rolled his back into a defensive players legs. Hout hit Blount first, started talking crap and before he could finish his sentence, Blount turned around and hit him back.

If he wasn't dedicated to the team he wouldn't have been pissed off enough about the loss to do all this. If anything, he let his passion for the team boil over too far. Nobody was injured. Everyone can see that Hout instigated the altercation. Let's discipline him appropriately but NOT get him off the team. A program sticking with their players (rather than discarding them for marketing purposes) is just as important as wanting players to be dedicated to the program.
Last edited by wheaton4prez on Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Another thing. How many times are punches thrown in football games? Every other one? Every third one? It's not that uncommon.

I've never heard of a player getting kicked off a team over fights that occur during games (except maybe Miami). The refs usually break it up, call a foul on both teams and resume play.

In this case, it was striking because Hout didn't have his helmet on and Blount landed a very accurate punch. Had he worn his helmet or Blount missed, the outcome would have been different. The point being that people are criticizing his behavior when that same behavior is exhibited very regularly in football with no big deal following it.
rcook
Two Star Recruit

Post by rcook »

http://ducksattack.com/forum/

Just way over capacity with retards.. go to sleep people, give it some time......... This issue is far too complicated for a "black" or "white" response.... Just drop it for now, let the cards fall where they may, hopefully, we can avoid punching anyone else after games, but LGB does not get booted, obv!

Does not like war, fwiw
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

rcook. I realize that you are upset. But, can you please lay off of the "retard" term? Just as general life advice, I humbly suggest that you not use it, for your own personal presentation.
rcook
Two Star Recruit

Post by rcook »

wheaton4prez wrote:rcook. I realize that you are upset. But, can you please lay off of the "retard" term? Just as general life advice, I humbly suggest that you not use it, for your own personal presentation.

Fair enough, although the context is meant to express anger, not malicious hate towards retards. FYI

Does not like war, fwiw
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

I know. But, imagine if you had a handicapped sibling or kid and you heard someone using the term in that way. Anyway, just sayin'.

We're all bent out of shape over that game. I'm going to take your advice and get some sleep.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

wheaton4prez wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:
And after Vick wasn't allowed to play (is less than two years "several years"?), he was allowed to play. If Blount is off the team, he is likely not ever going to play again. That is arguably as harsh or worse than the effective penalty to Vick.

It was not a sucker punch. Hout instigated the altercation by hitting Blount and jeering in his face. To call Blount's reaction a sucker punch is like saying that Brett Favre was sucker kicked the other night when he purposely rolled his back into a defensive players legs. Hout hit Blount first, started talking crap and before he could finish his sentence, Blount turned around and hit him back.

If he wasn't dedicated to the team he wouldn't have been pissed off enough about the loss to do all this. If anything, he let his passion for the team boil over too far. Nobody was injured. Everyone can see that Hout instigated the altercation. Let's discipline him appropriately but NOT get him off the team. A program sticking with their players (rather than discarding them for marketing purposes) is just as important as wanting players to be dedicated to the program.
No, if Blount is off the team, he has the option to play pro ball next year. If he doesn't get drafted, it's his own fault. This is about what's best for the team, not trying to compare two players and make sure his punishment is completely proportionate to some random NFL player.. Blount does not have the right to play football for this team. You act as if he's entitled to playing, even if it's at the detriment of the team.

It was a sucker punch. A sucker punch means a punch that is completely unexpected and thus doesn't give the guy receiving the blow any chance to defend himself. Your analogy isn't even close. Hout didn't push his face into Blount's fist, Favre pushed his body into the guy's legs.

Seriously? Because he's mad, he's dedicated? Maybe he's upset that he played like s*** on national television. We certainly don't know what was going through his head. What we DO know is that he gained weight in the offseason, didn't show up to a lot of offseason workouts, got thrown out of a practice earlier this year, and then hurt his team just because someone was talking smack. THEN, he struck his OWN TEAMMATE! Does that mean anything to you? Then he had to be restrained by police, coaches, and players so as not to attack a fan.

I agree that if we kicked him off just to look good, that would be the wrong decision. He should be kicked off because he's a detriment to our team, because he's displayed selfishness and disrespect to our team more than once, and because we need to teach our players that this behavior will not be tolerated. Honestly, if this was some third-string guard or something with a history like Blount's, would he stand any chance of staying on the team? Blount's talented, but that doesn't guarantee him a spot on our team.
rcook
Two Star Recruit

Post by rcook »

Tray Dub wrote:

No, if Blount is off the team, he has the option to play pro ball next year. If he doesn't get drafted, it's his own fault. This is about what's best for the team, not trying to compare two players and make sure his punishment is completely proportionate to some random NFL player.. Blount does not have the right to play football for this team. You act as if he's entitled to playing, even if it's at the detriment of the team.

It was a sucker punch. A sucker punch means a punch that is completely unexpected and thus doesn't give the guy receiving the blow any chance to defend himself. Your analogy isn't even close. Hout didn't push his face into Blount's fist, Favre pushed his body into the guy's legs.

Seriously? Because he's mad, he's dedicated? Maybe he's upset that he played like s*** on national television. We certainly don't know what was going through his head. What we DO know is that he gained weight in the offseason, didn't show up to a lot of offseason workouts, got thrown out of a practice earlier this year, and then hurt his team just because someone was talking smack. THEN, he struck his OWN TEAMMATE! Does that mean anything to you? Then he had to be restrained by police, coaches, and players so as not to attack a fan.

I agree that if we kicked him off just to look good, that would be the wrong decision. He should be kicked off because he's a detriment to our team, because he's displayed selfishness and disrespect to our team more than once, and because we need to teach our players that this behavior will not be tolerated. Honestly, if this was some third-string guard or something with a history like Blount's, would he stand any chance of staying on the team? Blount's talented, but that doesn't guarantee him a spot on our team.[/quote]

Wrong.... Football is a raw, nasty game, some people react on instinct 10x more than normal because of the violent nature of the game chnges their mentality of how to deal with other human interaction. ........You think he doesn't want to be a good teammate/asset to the ducks, he knows this is his chance and time, of course he does.. SFOBV The dude got super pissed off after being taunted immeadiately after an embarrassing loss..... bad decision, yes, oh well, yes. FK boise, all the blabber out of your mouth ripping on him after he already s*** the bed, and your overall wilingness to bail on the team that has been the heart and soul of this state for decades... all negative bs is much worse than a post game spaz out which a boise player happened to get whacked, lol...

Does not like war, fwiw
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Tray Dub wrote:No, if Blount is off the team, he has the option to play pro ball next year. If he doesn't get drafted, it's his own fault. This is about what's best for the team, not trying to compare two players and make sure his punishment is completely proportionate to some random NFL player.. Blount does not have the right to play football for this team. You act as if he's entitled to playing, even if it's at the detriment of the team.
No. This is about making sure that his punishment is proportionate to what he did. The comparison to Vick demonstrates that the consequences of kicking Blount off of the team would be greater than the punishment served to Michael Vick, who committed a much worse crime.

I have not acted like he is entitled to anything. There are many things any player could do that I would agree justify kicking someone off of the team over. I'm not making any excuses for Blount. I just don't think that what he did warrants career ending action.
Tray Dub wrote:It was a sucker punch. A sucker punch means a punch that is completely unexpected and thus doesn't give the guy receiving the blow any chance to defend himself. Your analogy isn't even close. Hout didn't push his face into Blount's fist, Favre pushed his body into the guy's legs.
That's not how I define a sucker punch. To me, it means a punch that a person couldn't expect. By your definition. A person could argue that, after punching someone in the face, they didn't expect that they would get back up and punch them back as they were walking away. That wouldn't be a sucker punch. That would be retaliation. Hout was not reasonably justified to expect that he could hit a man in the shoulder, yell in his face and not experience retaliation. There are many situations where a person could do something and get hit over that nobody would consider a sucker punch. For example, groping a mans wife in front of him. It is not a sucker punch if the husband punches the groper, even if the groper didn't think he would do it. That is because that is a completely unreasonable expectation.

I didn't say that the Favre play was analogous. I said that calling that play a sucker kick is like calling Blount's retaliation a sucker punch. That's because the kicking that occurred was a logical consequence of Favre's action. Just like the punch that occurred was a logical consequence of Hout's action.
Tray Dub wrote:Seriously? Because he's mad, he's dedicated? Maybe he's upset that he played like s*** on national television. We certainly don't know what was going through his head. What we DO know is that he gained weight in the offseason, didn't show up to a lot of offseason workouts, got thrown out of a practice earlier this year, and then hurt his team just because someone was talking smack. THEN, he struck his OWN TEAMMATE! Does that mean anything to you? Then he had to be restrained by police, coaches, and players so as not to attack a fan.
No. If the Ducks had won, it's doubtful that any taunting would have elicited that response from him. Therefore, his actions must be connected in some way to the primary interest of the team (to win games).
Tray Dub wrote:I agree that if we kicked him off just to look good, that would be the wrong decision. He should be kicked off because he's a detriment to our team, because he's displayed selfishness and disrespect to our team more than once, and because we need to teach our players that this behavior will not be tolerated. Honestly, if this was some third-string guard or something with a history like Blount's, would he stand any chance of staying on the team? Blount's talented, but that doesn't guarantee him a spot on our team.
Giving Blount a suspension would not be "tolerating" what he did. It would be the opposite of that. You seem to be arguing that the only punishment for players who step out of line is getting kicked off the team. We are in agreement that he did something wrong and should be punished for it. The disagreement is regarding the amplitude of the punishment.

He has had issues before and that should be taken into account when determining his punishment. In my judgement, that still does not come out to kicking him off the team.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

People.....LB made a choice....And a very poor choice it was...This is no longer about LB...He made his bed and now he has to lay in it...."I am sorry and it wont happen again" (paraphrased), doesnt hack it...
This is about the program and how the program is to react and move forward...The final decision will speak volumes as to the level of integrity at which our program has attained and/or rests....
It is a sad day to be a Duck...A sad day indeed...
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

I have had some time to digest this over the sleepless night I had. Here are just a few thoughts.

1. I am not condoning what he did, BUT.....take a look at the video before the punch if you can find it. Amazingly, all video seems to only show Blounts punch to Hout. Hout shoved on Blount and mouthing off at the same time Peterson is visibly trying to restrain Hout. This is just before the punch. Obviously, whatever Hout said set the coach off enough to restrain the player. I am putting myself in Blounts shoes and I am standing in the midst of Broncos and someone hits me on the shoulder while mouthing off. I'm not so sure my reaction wouldn't be the same. Again, I am not condoning what he did, but I understand it. Even Peterson himself was interviewed right after and was talking about emotions of the game because he knew his player was equally at fault.

2. Let's try to see the bigger picture here. If you kick him off the team, what happens to him? It's not like he took drugs or stole from other players, he reacted in the heat of the moment. Again, I am not condoning what he did. Do you completely toss this young man's life under the bus for that? The responsibility of the school is to educate our children and help them be successful. If you kick him off the team, this alters his life forever. Seriously. He loses his scholarship and has to leave school. This young man is on the verge of going left or right. This incident can send him down a sad road. I say you suspend him for 3 games, have him attend anger management classes AND do community service.

To me, you'll make more of an impact by helping him through this vs. just tossing him out with the garbage. Of course, I am a mother and cannot imagine what his mother must be going through. I say help the young man out. That speaks bigger of the program than just cutting him loose.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

MFRDuckFan wrote:I have had some time to digest this over the sleepless night I had. Here are just a few thoughts.

1. I am not condoning what he did, BUT.....take a look at the video before the punch if you can find it. Amazingly, all video seems to only show Blounts punch to Hout. Hout shoved on Blount and mouthing off at the same time Peterson is visibly trying to restrain Hout. This is just before the punch. Obviously, whatever Hout said set the coach off enough to restrain the player. I am putting myself in Blounts shoes and I am standing in the midst of Broncos and someone hits me on the shoulder while mouthing off. I'm not so sure my reaction wouldn't be the same. Again, I am not condoning what he did, but I understand it. Even Peterson himself was interviewed right after and was talking about emotions of the game because he knew his player was equally at fault.

2. Let's try to see the bigger picture here. If you kick him off the team, what happens to him? It's not like he took drugs or stole from other players, he reacted in the heat of the moment. Again, I am not condoning what he did. Do you completely toss this young man's life under the bus for that? The responsibility of the school is to educate our children and help them be successful. If you kick him off the team, this alters his life forever. Seriously. He loses his scholarship and has to leave school. This young man is on the verge of going left or right. This incident can send him down a sad road. I say you suspend him for 3 games, have him attend anger management classes AND do community service.

To me, you'll make more of an impact by helping him through this vs. just tossing him out with the garbage. Of course, I am a mother and cannot imagine what his mother must be going through. I say help the young man out. That speaks bigger of the program than just cutting him loose.

Very well put.
AKA: CAgrown