Masoli does not suck

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OreDucks01284
Senior

Re: Masoli does not suck

Post by OreDucks01284 »

maybe hes not feeling comfortable with his O-Line? or Could it be because he dont read the defense well?
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

So I ask all the haters out there, is it really all on Masoli or do we just flat out have a different team that is not as mature, experienced ,etc? Look through our roster, I think I counted 16 Seniors.

I think it's a combination of both. I can understand the passing game not gelling for a game or maybe 2, but it's time to get it going already.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

monster wrote:Oh, are you thinking of halfbacks or fullbacks?

I thought we were talking quarterbacks in the modern-era. You know, the forward pass and whatnot.

Actually, a really good argument can be made that "modern-era" collegiate QBs are measured by their ability to do things other than throw the ball down field.

Masoli needs to play better for us to continue to win, but he doesn't suck. He needs to settle down and relax a little bit. IMO he's having trouble with the playbook, he's thinking too much, and as a result he's missing open receivers, and not seeing others. I think Chip needs to slow it down for him a bit, take some pressure off and let the guy play football.
AKA: CAgrown
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

RuhlandAsherBestEver wrote:It's almost Costa time..... The team is very divided right now there are a lot of players that think
Costa should be the starter and I worry that if we get blown out by Cal we
could be in for a divided team. Never a good thing.
Where's the source of this info?? We don't need to try splitting the team - maybe it's only "fans" that are divided.
duckstheword
Two Star Recruit

Post by duckstheword »

duckgrad99 wrote:So I ask all the haters out there, is it really all on Masoli or do we just flat out have a different team that is not as mature, experienced ,etc? Look through our roster, I think I counted 16 Seniors.

I think it's a combination of both. I can understand the passing game not gelling for a game or maybe 2, but it's time to get it going already.
Agreed. If your third game stats are 4 of 16 (25%), 95 yards and no TD, that freaking sucks. There is no excuse for that in the Pac-10 unless your name is Washington State. Even then, come on.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Sucks is a strong word, because Masoli has run for touchdowns and Oregon has won several games since he started last season. With that being said, Masoli has had more bad games than good, and good teams just don't have qb's that have several poor passing games. If Masoli doesn't start to play better soon, it's only logical to talk about Costa or even Thomas. Sure you can also blame Helfrich, the offensive line, the receivers, etc, but a lot of those guys cannot be replaced.
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

duckstheword wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:So I ask all the haters out there, is it really all on Masoli or do we just flat out have a different team that is not as mature, experienced ,etc? Look through our roster, I think I counted 16 Seniors.

Agreed. If your third game stats are 4 of 16 (25%), 95 yards and no TD, that freaking sucks. There is no excuse for that in the Pac-10 unless your name is Washington State. Even then, come on.
In our 7th game last year, against UCLA, Masoli went 5/19 (26%) for 42 yards and 1 TD. We won that game 31-24. Almost eerie how similar these games were, dont you think. Now, should we, after that UCLA game have pulled Masoli out and started a different QB, knowing know how the season ended?
Bigducker
Freshman

Post by Bigducker »

Don't know what 's wrong with Masoli this year, he's is throwing the ball behind the receivers over the receivers, in the turf and on top of that fumbling alot. Look at his second touchdown as he was 5 yds out he was palming the ball out about a foot from his body, if I was Chip Kelly and saw that I would have been screaming like a banshee at him. He's got to much experience to be doing that.
Last year he had much more accuracy, and his Qb rating should have been much higher if not for all the drops. Don't know whats wrong but I hope he gets it together soon. :x
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

echo31 wrote:
duckstheword wrote:

In our 7th game last year, against UCLA, Masoli went 5/19 (26%) for 42 yards and 1 TD. We won that game 31-24. Almost eerie how similar these games were, dont you think. Now, should we, after that UCLA game have pulled Masoli out and started a different QB, knowing know how the season ended?
No. But nobody knows how this season will end, so I don't get what you're trying to say.

Let's just wait until Saturday. I think it's pretty clear his chances are numbered, so we'll see what he does when it really counts.
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

Tray Dub wrote: No. But nobody knows how this season will end, so I don't get what you're trying to say.

Let's just wait until Saturday. I think it's pretty clear his chances are numbered, so we'll see what he does when it really counts.
What I was saying is that we've been here before, and Masoli has had games like this before. In both cases, we won the game and after the UCLA game last year, Masoli went on to better his game so it's probable that he will do so this year too.
Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

I blame Helfrich, Masoli's potential is not being reached and that is a coaching issue.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

Let me see if I can put a little bit into perspective here. Blame is so easy to toss around.

1. Masoli just had his 21st birthday last month. Hmmm..... imagine yourself at that age. Were any of you carrying a major football program on your shoulders? Were any of you getting slammed by your own fans?? Sorry, I'm just tired of the "he sucks" crap and we need to be exactly what we are......FANS. We're not the coaches, we're not right there in the locker room, so we need to keep perspective. As his mother, I can imagine the pain that's being inflicted. She was at the Stanford game last year when Autzen booed her son. I'm sure that made her proud of his choice of schools.

2. We lost some major players from the O-line last year. They gave Masoli what he needed in order to enhance the passing game. It wasn't perfect at first, but was beautiful when it eventually clicked. Those key players we lost have been a major factor and the O-line is getting it figured out.

3. I find it amazing that everyone thought the world was going to end when LGB was sidelined. Can you imagine where we would be if LaMichael & Barner had not stepped up? I guess we would be hearing about how much they suck.

Trying to guess what the problem is just makes you go in a circle and you'll never have any answers because you're not Masoli, Helfrich, Kelly or the receiving corp. They need to work it out & find their own magic. Nothing stays the same from year to year and to expect that is ridiculous. It is perfectly fine to note difficulties & discuss, but to criticize is not right.

Okay, I'm off my soap box now.
Bigducker
Freshman

Post by Bigducker »

Everybody can make all the excuses they want for Masoli, but the fact is he's been playing terrible and if the D this year hadn't been playing great we'd be 0-3. We're last in every major category on offense especially the passing game. He's been so erratic, in his passing, decision making, and leadership that he doesn't at all resemble the QB he was late last year.
If he doesn't improve he's going to be on the bench. Chip's telling everybody he's the man to keep confidence in Masoli and the team's confidence in Masoli but, I guarantee you, that if Masoli, doesn't start playing much better he better start looking over his shoulder.

I Sure hope he does.
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

Bigducker wrote:If he doesn't improve he's going to be on the bench. Chip's telling everybody he's the man to keep confidence in Masoli and the team's confidence in Masoli but, I guarantee you, that if Masoli, doesn't start playing much better he better start looking over his shoulder.

I Sure hope he does.
This is exactly right. Masoli HAS played well before, but not so far this year. If he doesn't start playing better, Coach Kelly will need to try a different QB. BUT, giving someone like Costa or Thomas their first start against Cal is a terrible idea, which is why Masoli is and should be the starter.
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

echo31 wrote:BUT, giving someone like Costa or Thomas their first start against Cal is a terrible idea, which is why Masoli is and should be the starter.
I TOTALLY agree with you on this... but my question is "then when"?!? Seriously? There are good excuses to not make a change for our next 4-6 games...

Cal- no way you throw a inexperienced QB at the Bears
WSU- "get healty" game, JM should have no problems in this game (could be a good opportunity for Costa in mop up?!?)
at UCLA- first P10 road game? Probably not...
at UW- maybe?
USC- if you dont start a inexperienced qb vs Cal, you dont do it against SC either.
at Stanford- Ok, maybe this game?!?

Just asking, cuz I dont have an answer myself...

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK