QB change won’t solve Oregon’s passing problem

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

echo31
Five Star Recruit

QB change won’t solve Oregon’s passing problem

Post by echo31 »

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/si ... /story.csp
Unfortunately, when it comes to quarterbacks, you’re always going to have guys with cute handles on message boards who are sure they know the cure.

Bench Masoli. Play Costa. Alternate them. Or — and this one takes some imagination — play ’em both: Costa at quarterback, Masoli at running back.

Which only proves the point: When you’re intoxicated, logic doesn’t apply.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Re: QB change won’t solve Oregon’s passing problem

Post by duckgrad99 »

I'm not so sure about that. I thought Roper looked good passing the ball before he decided to leave Oregon.
ivegottabigduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ivegottabigduck »

duckgrad99 wrote:I'm not so sure about that. I thought Roper looked good passing the ball before he decided to leave Oregon.
Of course you did.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

ivegottabigduck wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:I'm not so sure about that. I thought Roper looked good passing the ball before he decided to leave Oregon.
Of course you did.
He had 1 bad game against Purdue, and we still won.

He played great against Oregon State and USF(who we blew out, and they were a top defense).

Roper was 10x the passer that masoli will ever be
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

dd10snoop28 wrote:
ivegottabigduck wrote:
Of course you did.
He had 1 bad game against Purdue, and we still won.

He played great against Oregon State and USF(who we blew out, and they were a top defense).

and Masoli is 10x the spread option QB that Roper would have ever been. Since that is the offense we run, Masoli was always a better choice than Roper.
monster
Four Star Recruit

Post by monster »

"Fans don't have valid opinions, they're just fans! Sports reporters, however ..."
ivegottabigduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ivegottabigduck »

we fans always know better than the coaches, which is why we are not D! coaches making 1.5 mil a year...I know a bundle about the sport. Was my life for years, but I also know when somebody knows more than I, see's more of the players and their abilities than I.
rcook
Two Star Recruit

Post by rcook »

dd10snoop28 wrote:
ivegottabigduck wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:I'm not so sure about that. I thought Roper looked good passing the ball before he decided to leave Oregon

DD10Snoop28 wrote - He had 1 bad game against Purdue, and we still won.

Echo wrote - and Masoli is 10x the spread option QB that Roper would have ever been. Since that is the offense we run, Masoli was always a better choice than Roper.
Wow.. SO CORRECT Echo and Ivegotabig!

Minus injuries, Roper would NEVER even be considered a viable option for any Top 25 team in the country, based on his great passing abilities, I'm surprised USC didn't immeadiately try to scoop him up when he opted to transfer, and Masoli is much a better passer (with feet set).

Scary thoughts so goofy could cross the minds of anyone that follows the team remotely closely. Duckgrad99 and DD10Snoop28, stop huffing paint.

+10 for Echo and Ivegotabig.... Quotes got messy, sorry about format

Does not like war, fwiw
monster
Four Star Recruit

Post by monster »

rcook wrote:... and Masoli is much a better passer (with feet set).
Nah
rcook
Two Star Recruit

Post by rcook »

monster wrote:
rcook wrote:... and Masoli is much a better passer (with feet set).
Nah
Well written and thought out dude :roll: Roper for heisman right?

Bear in mind its ok to explain your logic too, if there is any?

Does not like war, fwiw
monster
Four Star Recruit

Post by monster »

Yeah, man.
and Masoli is much a better passer (with feet set)
Great facts, stats and in-depth analysis there too.
rcook
Two Star Recruit

Post by rcook »

monster wrote:Yeah, man.
Um, does last season ring a bell??? In the beginning, Masoli was a pathetic passer and good runner, after UCLA, he was a good passer and a good runner (happens to be the key to the spread, our offense :shock: ) He just had to calm down, step into the pocket, and use good fundamentals, did he improve by chance?

Why would Roper transfer to a powerhouse like Montana vs a Top Tier program, if he was the best passer on a team with ridiculous offensive output? You would think another program would have noticed this "great passing ability" and jumped at the chance to get Justin Roper on their squad. Please.

Does not like war, fwiw
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

rcook wrote:
monster wrote:Yeah, man.
Um, does last season ring a bell??? In the beginning, Masoli was a pathetic passer and good runner, after UCLA, he was a good passer and a good runner (happens to be the key to the spread, our offense :shock: ) He just had to calm down, step into the pocket, and use good fundamentals, did he improve by chance?

Why would Roper transfer to a powerhouse like Montana vs a Top Tier program, if he was the best passer on a team with ridiculous offensive output? You would think another program would have noticed this "great passing ability" and jumped at the chance to get Justin Roper on their squad. Please.

Does Masoli starting mean that he is a better passer than Thomas? The point is, you just don't know. Roper may have done well had he stayed, he might have failed. Who knows!!!!
monster
Four Star Recruit

Post by monster »

Where a kid chooses to go to school doesn't need reflect on how good a player he is. Where did Roethlisberger go to school?

JM goes 4/16 and you think he's the QB because of his passing? The kid can run, plain and simple. His passing is serviceable at best. As for Roper, he has a good touch on his passes and good vision. When he finds the open man and puts the ball near them -- they catch it, something JM has a huge problem with. One measure of being a good passer is how often the receivers drop the ball; everything from Masoli is on a line - a straight laser beam thrown slightly off-target.

If you have other questions, you can start here: http://football.about.com/od/football10 ... ll_101.htm
rcook
Two Star Recruit

Post by rcook »

monster wrote:Where a kid chooses to go to school doesn't need reflect on how good a player he is. Where did Roethlisberger go to school?

JM goes 4/16 and you think he's the QB because of his passing? The kid can run, plain and simple. His passing is serviceable at best. As for Roper, he has a good touch on his passes and good vision. When he finds the open man and puts the ball near them -- they catch it, something JM has a huge problem with. One measure of being a good passer is how often the receivers drop the ball; everything from Masoli is on a line - a straight laser beam thrown slightly off-target.

If you have other questions, you can start here: http://football.about.com/od/football10 ... ll_101.htm

I LOL'd.... Nothing wrong with discussion, at least you tried to make your point clearly. A, for effort definitely.

I think Roper is a good passer too, especially with his touch. I was surprised how accurate he was, despite having marginal throwing mechanics. He still transferred to Montana FROM Oregon, a clear indicator his value as a D-1 QB was not significant enough to move to a big program that had an offense better suited to his style. EXAMPLE: Michigan transfer Ryan Mallet NOT = to Justin Roper. Masoli has had some terrible passing games for the ducks, but you are just WAY off base if you think he hasn't demonstrated to our coaches that he has great passing ability, the main reason they stick with him when you don't. Its just frustrating to see the "high powered" offense we expect go limp. Roper can stay in montana regardless. Remember the 16-0 loss at UCLA when Roper was QB, that was pretty.

Does not like war, fwiw