Page 1 of 1

247 Re-Ranking

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:21 am
by StevensTechU
I've been looking at some recruiting profiles of players currently in college, looking at how they were ranked as high schoolers, and I'm noticing a lot of inconsistencies with how I remember players being ranked. It's so many inconsistencies, that I'm more-or-less convinced that 247 Sports is retroactively re-grading players to make themselves look more accurate. I also noticed that 247 used to put the grading of the player on their "timeline" but no longer does, which only further supports this notion that they don't want transparency because they're up to something fishy.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Re: 247 Re-Ranking

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:06 pm
by lukeyrid13
Wouldn't surprise me. An NBA writer, I believe Chad Ford, went back and changed all of his mock drafts retroactively to make his predictions look better.

Re: 247 Re-Ranking

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:24 pm
by GrantDuck
Yes, absolutely have noticed with 24/7.
Nobody really polices this.


One other thing I was curious about this week, I went through some old recruiting rankings...our 2014 team was really loaded. All 3 DL were 4*+; We had 2 5* RB, Marcus Mariota(not high stars, but a 5* talent). Multiple 4* plus WR's.

Especially at the skill positions, we just don't have those guys right now. Lots of 3* kids. Absolutely can tell the difference it makes there on the whole.

Re: 247 Re-Ranking

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:39 pm
by karlhungis
GrantDuck wrote:Yes, absolutely have noticed with 24/7.
Nobody really polices this.


One other thing I was curious about this week, I went through some old recruiting rankings...our 2014 team was really loaded. All 3 DL were 4*+; We had 2 5* RB, Marcus Mariota(not high stars, but a 5* talent). Multiple 4* plus WR's.

Especially at the skill positions, we just don't have those guys right now. Lots of 3* kids. Absolutely can tell the difference it makes there on the whole.
2 five star rbs? Who?

Re: 247 Re-Ranking

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:42 pm
by ncduck
karlhungis wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:Yes, absolutely have noticed with 24/7.
Nobody really polices this.


One other thing I was curious about this week, I went through some old recruiting rankings...our 2014 team was really loaded. All 3 DL were 4*+; We had 2 5* RB, Marcus Mariota(not high stars, but a 5* talent). Multiple 4* plus WR's.

Especially at the skill positions, we just don't have those guys right now. Lots of 3* kids. Absolutely can tell the difference it makes there on the whole.
2 five star rbs? Who?
DeAnthony and Tyner?

Re: 247 Re-Ranking

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:14 pm
by karlhungis
ncduck wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:Yes, absolutely have noticed with 24/7.
Nobody really polices this.


One other thing I was curious about this week, I went through some old recruiting rankings...our 2014 team was really loaded. All 3 DL were 4*+; We had 2 5* RB, Marcus Mariota(not high stars, but a 5* talent). Multiple 4* plus WR's.

Especially at the skill positions, we just don't have those guys right now. Lots of 3* kids. Absolutely can tell the difference it makes there on the whole.
2 five star rbs? Who?
DeAnthony and Tyner?
Ah, right. Thanks.

Re: 247 Re-Ranking

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:34 pm
by AshlandDuck
What I have noticed is that they absolutely flop on rating past classes. For example, Matt Prehm touted Bryan Bennett's signing as a "program-changer" because he relies on the rankings rather than knowledge. I did some research to find that Johnny Durocher(ignoring Joey Harrington, Dennis Dixon, A.J. Feeley, Kellen Clemens, Akili Smith) was rated higher overall on the composite for his class than was Bryan Bennett, yet somehow despite being ranked as the 202nd overall recruit in his class, he had a composite score(.8667) that would put him at #651 in the 2019 rankings. For comparison, Bennett was rated #297 composite in his class yet somehow totally eclipses Durocher with a .8968 composite score. As someone who followed recruiting extensively at the time, there is no way in hell Bryan Bennett was seen as a program-changer. by anyone when he signed and I distinctly remember the hype Durocher and many others received over the likes of Bennett.