Page 1 of 3

Helfrich fired as Bears OC

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:18 pm
by greenyellow
Mark Helfrich is back on the market after being canned by the Chicago Bears:

Re: Helfrich fired as Bears OC

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:18 pm
by squintsdd
I hope he's not on Oregon's shopping list

Re: Helfrich fired as Bears OC

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:49 am
by Alan
squintsdd wrote:I hope he's not on Oregon's shopping list
He’s not, how do I know? Cristabol is not that stupid. I am curious where he lands next...... my bet is it won’t be a power 5 position

Re: Helfrich fired as Bears OC

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:32 am
by StevensTechU
Considering Oregon's offense was better under Helf than it is currently, with less talent, I wouldn't mind him coming back. Don't think it's a possibility, though.

Sounds like uw has already reached out to Helf.

Re: Helfrich fired as Bears OC

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:35 am
by Phalanx
Man, you guys are prejudiced. All Helfrich ever did was lead the Oregon offense to the best run of seasons in Oregon history and coached the biggest victory by a Duck team ever, beating a Heisman winner and the defending National Champions in a lop-sided Rose Bowl. He also recruited most of the best players on this year's team. We are talking about hypothetically taking him back as Offensive Coordinator, not head coach. I doubt it's even on the table, but you wouldn't even consider it? :roll:

Re: Helfrich fired as Bears OC

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:32 am
by Alan
I just don’t think Helf would be a good fit for Cristabol’s energy

Re: Helfrich fired as Bears OC

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:00 pm
by alxtw
He s an awful head coach but a good oc. I d really hate for him to go to the fuskies. He d be dangerous back with chip.

Re: Helfrich fired as Bears OC

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:24 pm
by Phalanx
alxtw wrote:He s an awful head coach but a good oc. I d really hate for him to go to the fuskies. He d be dangerous back with chip.
Yeah, guys start to get a little religion once it looks like the Huskies might get him. :lol:

Re: Helfrich fired as Bears OC

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:17 pm
by UofDuck
Helf gets way to much credit for his short run as an offense skilled OC and head coach. He was subpar at CO before coming to Oregon and he coat-tailed Chips offense to success. It declined under his watch the further he went.

Re: Helfrich fired as Bears OC

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:31 pm
by karlhungis
Phalanx wrote:
alxtw wrote:He s an awful head coach but a good oc. I d really hate for him to go to the fuskies. He d be dangerous back with chip.
Yeah, guys start to get a little religion once it looks like the Huskies might get him. :lol:
I wouldn't be terribly concerned with him coaching there. I would just think it was sleazy. If UW would hire him, he could get plenty of other jobs. But for a former head coach at Oregon to be on the Husky sideline, just feels wrong. Especially after hearing that he is bad mouthing the "Oregon culture" now.

Re: Helfrich fired as Bears OC

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:54 pm
by woundedknees
It's not like Helf could provide anything in the way of inside info on the Ducks... Too many things have changed under CMC.

Re: Helfrich fired as Bears OC

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:56 pm
by Phalanx
karlhungis wrote:
Phalanx wrote:
alxtw wrote:He s an awful head coach but a good oc. I d really hate for him to go to the fuskies. He d be dangerous back with chip.
Yeah, guys start to get a little religion once it looks like the Huskies might get him. :lol:
I wouldn't be terribly concerned with him coaching there. I would just think it was sleazy. If UW would hire him, he could get plenty of other jobs. But for a former head coach at Oregon to be on the Husky sideline, just feels wrong. Especially after hearing that he is bad mouthing the "Oregon culture" now.
You're kidding, right? We fired him for one bad season with low-budget defensive coordinators, and all the fans bad-mouthed him as they ran him out of town on a rail. I'm not rooting for him on another team, but there would definitely be something poetic about him signing with our biggest rival.

Re: Helfrich fired as Bears OC

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:02 pm
by karlhungis
Phalanx wrote:
You're kidding, right? We fired him for one bad season with low-budget defensive coordinators.
That is a pretty generous revision of his departure.

Re: Helfrich fired as Bears OC

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:19 pm
by Phalanx
karlhungis wrote:
Phalanx wrote:
You're kidding, right? We fired him for one bad season with low-budget defensive coordinators.
That is a pretty generous revision of his departure.
Eh, I notice you have no rebuttal, so it couldn't be that generous. Mario was certainly celebrating climbing to 9-4 last year, as he mentioned in his post-game interview tonight. Coincidentally, that is what the ducks finished in 2015 as well, and that was with Don freaking Pellum as the defensive coordinator.

Re: Helfrich fired as Bears OC

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:32 pm
by Merganzer
Phalanx wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
Phalanx wrote:
You're kidding, right? We fired him for one bad season with low-budget defensive coordinators.
That is a pretty generous revision of his departure.
Eh, I notice you have no rebuttal, so it couldn't be that generous. Mario was certainly celebrating 9-4 last year, as he mentioned in his trophy acceptance speech tonight. Coincidentally, that is what the ducks finished in 2015 as well, and that was with Don freaking Pellum as the defensive coordinator.
I can see why Helfrich would have some problems with Oregon having been the first coach in however long it was to be fired, and his circumstances were not all his fault. But I can't see that keeping him would have the Ducks where they are now.
My problem with Helfrich started as soon as he was hired. Chip basically self appointed him and that was that. Immediately Helfrich adopted that attitude of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", and kept on coaching like Chip, except he wasn't Chip.
He never seemed comfortable as then head coach, let alone OWNING the role, so far as him just looking lost in the chair for his post game remarks. Cristobal is the opposite; he's building a new culture at Oregon, Helfrich could only look on as the culture disintegrated around him.