Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?

Post by greenyellow »

Testing is getting done (someone on Twitter said around 10K tests have been in WA alone this week) but you also have to realize that creating test kits and processing them is not as simple as just ramping up production and firing up more machines. I'm not as worried about thing spreading like it is in Italy/Europe due to several factors. The US has a far less dense (94 people per square mile) and younger (38.2 years old) population than Italy (512 people per square mile and average age of 47.3 years old.) The US' population over 65 is only 15% (which is closer to South Korea's percentage) while Italy is at 23%, which is the highest in Europe. Of the top 25 countries with the largest aging populations, Japan is the only non-European country on that list.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -in-italy/
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

As far as personal preparedness goes, I had items that I selectively purchased over the time since the Snow-Mageddon. That includes 54 rolls of TP, among other things.

I did it because there are 8 members of our family within 250 yards of my house, plus 1 neighbor who has 3 daughters from 6 years old to under 6 months.

This group includes two 90+ year old members as well as three severe diabetics.

When things settle down, I'll work on re-stocking my three footlockers.

In the meantime, I have no desire to rub elbows with any more strangers than necessary, and I have gardening, fishing, and home maintenaance to keep me busy, all within walking distance.

I pray that all of you can stay safe and healthy.

Avoid the knuckleheads, if you can!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

woundedknees wrote:As far as personal preparedness goes, I had items that I selectively purchased over the time since the Snow-Mageddon. That includes 54 rolls of TP, among other things.

I did it because there are 8 members of our family within 250 yards of my house, plus 1 neighbor who has 3 daughters from 6 years old to under 6 months.

This group includes two 90+ year old members as well as three severe diabetics.

When things settle down, I'll work on re-stocking my three footlockers.

In the meantime, I have no desire to rub elbows with any more strangers than necessary, and I have gardening, fishing, and home maintenaance to keep me busy, all within walking distance.

I pray that all of you can stay safe and healthy.

Avoid the knuckleheads, if you can!
Same here. After the last few snowstorms knocked out power for 3+ days each time, I've got enough canned goods, hand wipes, hand sanitizer, bottled water, and other essentials stocked up to last me a while.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

greenyellow wrote:Testing is getting done (someone on Twitter said around 10K tests have been in WA alone this week) but you also have to realize that creating test kits and processing them is not as simple as just ramping up production and firing up more machines. I'm not as worried about thing spreading like it is in Italy/Europe due to several factors. The US has a far less dense (94 people per square mile) and younger (38.2 years old) population than Italy (512 people per square mile and average age of 47.3 years old.) The US' population over 65 is only 15% (which is closer to South Korea's percentage) while Italy is at 23%, which is the highest in Europe. Of the top 25 countries with the largest aging populations, Japan is the only non-European country on that list.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -in-italy/
It's improving but still way way worse than it ought to be.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

No doubt we've done a horrible job in ramping up the testing process but to compare the US to South Korea is a little unfair given about 45% of their population of 52 million live in their top 10 cities and geographically is about half the size of Oregon.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

EncinitasDuck wrote:No doubt we've done a horrible job in ramping up the testing process but to compare the US to South Korea is a little unfair given about 45% of their population of 52 million live in their top 10 cities and geographically is about half the size of Oregon.
Not really, the problem isn't that we're having a hard time with getting tests to rural folks, it's that we just don't have enough tests period. It really has nothing to do with our density.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

Tray Dub wrote:
EncinitasDuck wrote:No doubt we've done a horrible job in ramping up the testing process but to compare the US to South Korea is a little unfair given about 45% of their population of 52 million live in their top 10 cities and geographically is about half the size of Oregon.
Not really, the problem isn't that we're having a hard time with getting tests to rural folks, it's that we just don't have enough tests period. It really has nothing to do with our density.
Like I said we've done a horrible job, but there's no doubt its easier for them to distribute just given the size of the country
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pezsez1 wrote:A Beaver friend of mine posted a meme with a bunch of Oregon gear saying something like "Found extra TP!"

So I made this in response. Figured folks here might enjoy it. ;)
Looool!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Bighonkingduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by Bighonkingduck »

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Bighonkingduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by Bighonkingduck »

Tray Dub wrote:
Formatting help:

Thanks! This was from March 13 and it's gotten worse the last 3 days.
Last edited by Bighonkingduck on Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Seriously, there is an internet rumor that "gargling with bleach" is a cure for Covid 19...

Guess it depends on what you call a "cure".

I never had a taste for the stuff.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

woundedknees wrote:Seriously, there is an internet rumor that "gargling with bleach" is a cure for Covid 19...

It'd sure be a win via natural selection if people think drinking bleach is safe.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/coronavir ... errifying/

This is just another reason to take this seriously for those who are all about that YOLO
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

greenyellow wrote:
woundedknees wrote:Seriously, there is an internet rumor that "gargling with bleach" is a cure for Covid 19...

It'd sure be a win via natural selection if people think drinking bleach is safe.
Lol, I couldn’t agree more GY, unfortunately it will no doubt happen. I am very disappointed by how many people are acting.