Page 1 of 1

NCAA changes transfer rules & winter athlete eligibility

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:40 pm
by greenyellow
The NCAA will allow all athletes in all sports to do one transfer without having to sit out a season. Final approval for this won't be until January 2021 and won't go into effect until August 2021. When approved, the transfer portal may be absolutely nuts before next season. The NCAA also decided that winter sport athletes will get the same eligibility protections as fall and spring sport athletes by not losing any athletic eligibility this season.

Re: NCAA changes transfer rules & winter athlete eligibility

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:15 pm
by GrandpaDuck
Cant believe this thread was sinking with zero comments.

There are a lot of two faced coaches in the country who are "promise them anything and kiss their butts" when they talk to recruits and then are complete jerks once they have them on campus.

This will have major impact. Not just for the wolfs I mentioned above but even for the sincere coaches, playing time will result in transfers much more rapidly. Coaches who can mesh teams quickly and blend in transfers will thrive.

Re: NCAA changes transfer rules & winter athlete eligibility

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:08 pm
by greenyellow
I think it also gives players some options should their coach leave and they don't like the new coach. It has seemed unfair for quite some time that players couldn't move around as freely as coaches could.

Re: NCAA changes transfer rules & winter athlete eligibility

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:20 pm
by GrandpaDuck
greenyellow wrote:I think it also gives players some options should their coach leave and they don't like the new coach. It has seemed unfair for quite some time that players couldn't move around as freely as coaches could.
I agree. I am not against the rule, I just think it will have a major impact on programs and will certainly lessen the importance of recruiting as now free agency will become another path to program building. And a free agency much liberal than pro sports. Image if pro teams could only sign draftees to one year contracts, how important would the draft be.