Page 1 of 1

Lou Holtz to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:55 pm
by DuckMastaFunk
https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/presid ... 13112.html

Thith ith the betht day of my lithe

Re: Lou Holtz to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:43 am
by Duck07
Congratulations Ed Sno...nm

Re: Lou Holtz to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:18 am
by OregonFan4Life
The Presidential Medal of Freedom used to actually mean something, until Obama started giving it to celebrities he liked and Trump followed that example.

Re: Lou Holtz to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:46 pm
by StevensTechU
Chalk that one up with Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods, I guess.

Re: Lou Holtz to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:08 am
by OregonFan4Life
Biggus Duckus wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:The Presidential Medal of Freedom used to actually mean something, until Obama started giving it to celebrities he liked and Trump followed that example.
Out of curiosity, I just did some research. Obama gave slightly more than the average (Obama 123, average is roughly ~50 per term for recent presidents), and all recent presidents except for Bill Clinton have a lot of household entertainers and athletes on the list.

But thanks, Obama.
I guess I didn't realize how common it was, it just seemed like Obama gave it out to celebrities left and right so I figured he was the one that made it popular to give the medal to anyone a president feels like.

Re: Lou Holtz to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:43 pm
by StevensTechU
Following this post, I also did a bunch of research into the PMF. It's an eclectic list. After a couple days of sitting on it, I basically now just think of the recipients as a "Hall of Fame of Americans." Even under that context, there are definitely some I would boot, and others very deserving who aren't on the list.

Dan Gable, the original GOAT of American wrestling, was announced as a recipient today.

Re: Lou Holtz to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:14 pm
by karlhungis
Outside of being a vocal supporter of the president, what has Holtz done to deserve this?

Re: Lou Holtz to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:27 pm
by StevensTechU
karlhungis wrote:Outside of being a vocal supporter of the president, what has Holtz done to deserve this?
That seems to be the common thread. Gable stumped for Trump in Iowa, and Holtz was a vocal supporter, too.

Weird 'award.'

Re: Lou Holtz to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:46 pm
by UOducksTK1
StevensTechU wrote:
karlhungis wrote:Outside of being a vocal supporter of the president, what has Holtz done to deserve this?
That seems to be the common thread. Gable stumped for Trump in Iowa, and Holtz was a vocal supporter, too.

Weird 'award.'
I mean Obama gave Dean Smith the same award. He won 2 championships? Holtz won a championship and he served as US army reserve and training corps. But I guess Robert Redford is more deserving. True...

Re: Lou Holtz to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:16 pm
by StevensTechU
I'm not arguing for/against anyone mentioned in this thread. There's no requirement for being awarded it, so much so that I don't even feel fully comfortable calling it an award. It's not a pardon or an appointment. It's pretty meaningless, frankly.

Re: Lou Holtz to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:03 pm
by dd10snoop28
What was the original intent of MOF?

Re: Lou Holtz to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:15 pm
by karlhungis
UOducksTK1 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
karlhungis wrote:Outside of being a vocal supporter of the president, what has Holtz done to deserve this?
That seems to be the common thread. Gable stumped for Trump in Iowa, and Holtz was a vocal supporter, too.

Weird 'award.'
I mean Obama gave Dean Smith the same award. He won 2 championships? Holtz won a championship and he served as US army reserve and training corps. But I guess Robert Redford is more deserving. True...
BUT OBAMA!!

I asked about Holtz.

Re: Lou Holtz to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:52 pm
by UOducksTK1
karlhungis wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
karlhungis wrote:Outside of being a vocal supporter of the president, what has Holtz done to deserve this?
That seems to be the common thread. Gable stumped for Trump in Iowa, and Holtz was a vocal supporter, too.

Weird 'award.'
I mean Obama gave Dean Smith the same award. He won 2 championships? Holtz won a championship and he served as US army reserve and training corps. But I guess Robert Redford is more deserving. True...
BUT OBAMA!!

I asked about Holtz.
Haha!

Sure, I'm just saying, go look at the list, and every president lets in a coach, athlete, actor, singer, etc. It's kind of a weird award.