Tyler Shough is transferring

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

jimmy12
Senior

Re: Tyler Shough is transferring

Post by jimmy12 »

ducks5ever wrote:I get the argument from people who says Brown has a limited ceiling. However, even if he doesn't improve at all from Boston College and puts up numbers somewhere in between his sophomore and junior season, that's serviceable QB play that will win us the majority of games. Those numbers wouldn't be too far off from what Herbert put up his sophomore year.

All this is to say that even if he is the starter and doesn't improve at all, QB play won't be what holds this team back [from a NY6 game]. You toss in all the other variables like better receiving crew, possibly a better OL, and possibly better scheme/coaching -> I don't see why he can't improve materially.

Only way I see Butters playing is if he straight up beats Brown. I don't see Thompson playing unless he really proves himself by the middle of the season or the season turns out to be a writeoff midway through.
I know it was a different, coach, scheme and talent pool, but Darron Thomas was not exactly a prototype QB. He had a loopy wind up, questionable arm and medium escapability. What he did have, however, was a generational coach introducing a new way of playing offensive football AND the ability to game manage. He made pretty good decisions and ended up with better stats than Andrew Luck (and I don't believe he lost to Luck...I could be wrong). Either way, he took us to a Natty that we had a chance to win. Brown has an amazing OC, who is ask close to Chip as... Chip. He is has better talent on both sides of the ball (except RB) and he has experience. Brown is not going to be taken in the first round, but I am of the belief, like Darron, he can game manage us to being pretty darn good this year. How good? I don't know. I like our chances. (Tyler on the other hand, made BAD decisions and tried to force balls and made poor reads. Tyler has a better arm and likely upside BUT Brown is a better game manager. The ducks need the latter with this talent group. Can I get an amen?
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

jimmy12 wrote:
ducks5ever wrote:I get the argument from people who says Brown has a limited ceiling. However, even if he doesn't improve at all from Boston College and puts up numbers somewhere in between his sophomore and junior season, that's serviceable QB play that will win us the majority of games. Those numbers wouldn't be too far off from what Herbert put up his sophomore year.

All this is to say that even if he is the starter and doesn't improve at all, QB play won't be what holds this team back [from a NY6 game]. You toss in all the other variables like better receiving crew, possibly a better OL, and possibly better scheme/coaching -> I don't see why he can't improve materially.

Only way I see Butters playing is if he straight up beats Brown. I don't see Thompson playing unless he really proves himself by the middle of the season or the season turns out to be a writeoff midway through.
I know it was a different, coach, scheme and talent pool, but Darron Thomas was not exactly a prototype QB. He had a loopy wind up, questionable arm and medium escapability. What he did have, however, was a generational coach introducing a new way of playing offensive football AND the ability to game manage. He made pretty good decisions and ended up with better stats than Andrew Luck (and I don't believe he lost to Luck...I could be wrong). Either way, he took us to a Natty that we had a chance to win. Brown has an amazing OC, who is ask close to Chip as... Chip. He is has better talent on both sides of the ball (except RB) and he has experience. Brown is not going to be taken in the first round, but I am of the belief, like Darron, he can game manage us to being pretty darn good this year. How good? I don't know. I like our chances. (Tyler on the other hand, made BAD decisions and tried to force balls and made poor reads. Tyler has a better arm and likely upside BUT Brown is a better game manager. The ducks need the latter with this talent group. Can I get an amen?
Amen
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Agree about needing a better game manager, but what we also need is for CJ Verdell to pick up where he left off after the Pac-12 title game vs. Utah a couple years ago. He made such huge strides toward the end of that season, and then last season was just a massive thud. I'm hoping it was just COVID and injuries, etc., but a big difference between DT and Brown is DT handed off to LaMichael James and Kenjon Barner. It will be a stretch to compare Brown's decisionmaking skills against DT's if defenses aren't really afraid of Verdell/Dye.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

pezsez1 wrote:Agree about needing a better game manager, but what we also need is for CJ Verdell to pick up where he left off after the Pac-12 title game vs. Utah a couple years ago. He made such huge strides toward the end of that season, and then last season was just a massive thud. I'm hoping it was just COVID and injuries, etc., but a big difference between DT and Brown is DT handed off to LaMichael James and Kenjon Barner. It will be a stretch to compare Brown's decisionmaking skills against DT's if defenses aren't really afraid of Verdell/Dye.
At this point I belive Verdell has a high ceiling and a lot of potential but he's so injury prone. Until he can prove that he can play at least 4 full games in a row I'm going to doubt his reliability.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:Agree about needing a better game manager, but what we also need is for CJ Verdell to pick up where he left off after the Pac-12 title game vs. Utah a couple years ago. He made such huge strides toward the end of that season, and then last season was just a massive thud. I'm hoping it was just COVID and injuries, etc., but a big difference between DT and Brown is DT handed off to LaMichael James and Kenjon Barner. It will be a stretch to compare Brown's decisionmaking skills against DT's if defenses aren't really afraid of Verdell/Dye.
At this point I belive Verdell has a high ceiling and a lot of potential but he's so injury prone. Until he can prove that he can play at least 4 full games in a row I'm going to doubt his reliability.
Agree to a certain extent. James' field vision was elite. Do you remember him taking a bad angle or making a bad cut? He probably did at some point, but it seemed like he was ALWAYS running away from the defense. I don't see a guy on our roster that is even in the same ballpark.

However, Darren Thomas is one of those guys that was totally undervalued. Yeah, he didn't have elite NFL arm talent, but he made the right read 99% of the time and didn't make mistakes. I would kill to have an experienced Darren Thomas on this roster right now, especially with the talent we have on defense.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

However, Darren Thomas is one of those guys that was totally undervalued. Yeah, he didn't have elite NFL arm talent, but he made the right read 99% of the time and didn't make mistakes. I would kill to have an experienced Darren Thomas on this roster right now, especially with the talent we have on defense.
Agree... DT was an amazing college QB and we'd be perennial contenders if we always had a QB like him under center. He was a fantastic game manager and had just enough talent to be a playmaker when needed. I believe he'd be far more beloved among Oregon fans had he not been followed by Mariota.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

hence "except RB"
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

pezsez1 wrote:
Agree... DT was an amazing college QB and we'd be perennial contenders if we always had a QB like him under center. He was a fantastic game manager and had just enough talent to be a playmaker when needed. I believe he'd be far more beloved among Oregon fans had he not been followed by Mariota.
Agree and agree again to both sentiments. Also would like to add that Thomas was one tough mother. Standing in the pocket holding the ball til his receiver came open, knowing he was going to get creamed after throwing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

PS— i loved Darron Thomas. This play shows him out front leading the block on a broken play. https://twitter.com/dp_nfl/status/13929 ... 99047?s=21
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Any word on how Shough did during their spring game? I saw somewhere that some "expert" has him down as the #5 QB in next years class.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

They give him better odds than slovis? I can't take that seriously
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

As outlandish of an idea that this could be, I'd be taking a hard look at the coaching staff if we missed that badly. He did not look good out here. I'm rooting for his success, and would be totally happy to see him get drafted early in the next year or 2.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Ok francis
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

He doesn't have an NFL arm. His throws had no zip on them.

Even if he gets drafted (and highly) I can tell you right now that he won't have any success there.