Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Potential 2021-22 MBB roster additions

Post by UOducksTK1 »

duckduckgoose wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
Coaches going all in on Harmon. Might he end up being our first transfer commitment?

His game reminds me of Malcolm Armstead.
I read your post and got a mental picture of Aric Armstrong at first! Was a little confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:lol:

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Not looking good for Oregon in getting another HS recruit. Besides Washington and/or a reclassifier, it's going to be transfers filling the remaining spots.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:Not looking good for Oregon in getting another HS recruit. Besides Washington and/or a reclassifier, it's going to be transfers filling the remaining spots.
Which begs the question, does it matter? If we take our sample data from the last few seasons, we see that transfers (although they are only here for usually one or two years) end up being pretty effective, while our high school commits seldom last a career at Oregon.

Dana Altman has a unique skill of getting players who have never played together to compete at a high level very quickly. So 1-year transfers don't scare me as much these days.

So should fans desire more transfers over recruits? 50-50? What's the number we should be hoping for?

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Is it too late for a player who signed an LOI with one school to instead sign with another out of conference? Asking for a friend.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phalanx wrote:Is it too late for a player who signed an LOI with one school to instead sign with another out of conference? Asking for a friend.
With the way things are going, I bet they could get out of their LOI and go elsewhere.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:
Just watched some highlights. Undersized but plays aggressive. He can slash with some quickness but also shoots really good percentages. Extremely scrappy, especially on defense, tons of steals.

He would be a fun player to watch. Come play here!

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Altman has 6 open scholarships to use, right? Would someone else mind confirming?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:Altman has 6 open scholarships to use, right? Would someone else mind confirming?
I think I'm more concerned with how this could affect the APR as iirc transfers and players going pro early don't help those numbers.

Trying to keep up with this cycle is too frenetic for my tastes but I did see someone else say 6 scholarships.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

StevensTechU wrote:Altman has 6 open scholarships to use, right? Would someone else mind confirming?
I think we will have 7 scholarships players, so sounds right.

northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Not looking good for Oregon in getting another HS recruit. Besides Washington and/or a reclassifier, it's going to be transfers filling the remaining spots.
Which begs the question, does it matter? If we take our sample data from the last few seasons, we see that transfers (although they are only here for usually one or two years) end up being pretty effective, while our high school commits seldom last a career at Oregon.

Dana Altman has a unique skill of getting players who have never played together to compete at a high level very quickly. So 1-year transfers don't scare me as much these days.

So should fans desire more transfers over recruits? 50-50? What's the number we should be hoping for?
I know I said this once before on here, but if I was Altman, I wouldn’t waste anymore time recruiting HS players. It makes no sense for him and his system. If a 4 or 5* kid really wants to come, then fine. But spending 2 years + tons of money and resources to get unproven HS kids is insane when you think about it. You can hit the transfer portal hard for a month or two and get high-level college talent that is proven. Plus, Altman is a wizard at putting piece together and getting them to gel.

I am probably the only one that is okay with this for some reason. I am not sure why everyone is so dead set on having kids here for 4 years. If we are winning, I don’t care how we do it.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Ducks going after Texas A&M SG/SF Jaxson Robinson. While his stats at A&M were low this year, he was a 4* 2021 recruit who reclassified into the 2020 class, similar to Kepnang. He's viewed as a solid shooter and defender so he's someone who may consider coming to Oregon to develop while getting more solid minutes than he did at A&M.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

northbeachsf wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

I know I said this once before on here, but if I was Altman, I wouldn’t waste anymore time recruiting HS players. It makes no sense for him and his system. If a 4 or 5* kid really wants to come, then fine. But spending 2 years + tons of money and resources to get unproven HS kids is insane when you think about it. You can hit the transfer portal hard for a month or two and get high-level college talent that is proven. Plus, Altman is a wizard at putting piece together and getting them to gel.

I am probably the only one that is okay with this for some reason. I am not sure why everyone is so dead set on having kids here for 4 years. If we are winning, I don’t care how we do it.
I'm starting to trend this way in my thinking as well.

I can understand that only grad transfers may not be as healthy (one and dones), but there are plenty of transfers that are guys with 2+ years of eligibility these days too.

It's definitely a huge change in the culture of recruiting, especially with NCAA allowing people to transfers for days now.

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Duck07 wrote:
I think I'm more concerned with how this could affect the APR as iirc transfers and players going pro early don't help those numbers.

Trying to keep up with this cycle is too frenetic for my tastes but I did see someone else say 6 scholarships.
Thank you