#11 Oregon @ #4 Ohio State (Sept. 11 Sat 9 AM FOX)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Oregon @ Ohio State (Sept. 11 Sat 9 AM FOX)

Post by karlhungis »

OrTDuck wrote:Not too familiar with Fresno State, but a quick look at their preview shows, if there is going to be Duck issues in the secondary, with the pass rush (or in stopping the run), Fresno State appears to have a skill set group which will make the issues apparent, even if the Ducks win reasonably (as expected).

Jake Haener, the former Husky, finished the season as the Mountain West's leading passer (337 yards per game and Fresno State finished 5th in the nation in total passing), their top 3 WRs, Jalen Cropper (2nd team All-MWC in the two pre-season polls I saw with 445 yards receiving in Fresno State's last 3 games), and two other returning WR starters in Kenric Wheatfall and Josh Kelly (both over 6-2 with 15+ ypc), and a experienced RB in Ronnie Rivers, who apparently is considered among the top in the conference (and a potential NFL guy). They also add in 6-4 UW WR transfer Ty Jones.

I guess the OL as a whole is a question, and overall nationally Athlon at had them ranked 70th (and CFN put their expected wins at 6.5).

I guess the discussion question, if anyone wants to take it on, are what are the expectations for shutting down Fresno State in the opener which would lead to a positive sign heading into tOSU and/or what would be a huge cause for concern?
We need to start a Fresno State game thread.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

There's already one for Fresno State
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

It will be so weird seeing a televised Oregon vs Ohio State game that isn't in a bowl game, the 1987 game wasn't televised and as a result only pictures of it exist, in fact, every regular-season UO vs tOSU game hasn't been televised.

Until now...
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

My impression is that Aliotti, Pellum, Hoke, and probably Avalos would play a pretty "safe" version of mostly "bend but don't break", rely upon Autzen, the talent difference, the Duck offense, and a couple mistakes, to win 45-28, while giving up 400 yards passing (to a team everyone knew going into the game was very capable of throwing the ball). First game? Get a win.

If facing a "tOSU" type team the next week, the team puts up a decent effort for about 2 and 1/2 quarters, then the "tOSU" team pulls away and wins - and despite it being a fairly competitive game - down the road the narrative ends up being "Oregon chokes again" and "Oregon again gets rolled on the big stage".

It won't be totally right (but it won't be totally wrong either).

My first impressions are DeRuyter isn't going to play "death by 1,000 cuts" and sit back and hope something else primarily results in the "W", rather than the defense playing a major role (other than "not being terrible").

I do think Oregon wins fairly comfortably, so before it gets there, maybe through 3 quarters, something like Oregon:

- keeps Fresno State under 50 yards rushing

- keeps Fresno under 200 yards passing and under 14 points

- 1+ TOs and 2+ sacks

My impression is that bodes well for the next week. If not, maybe a sign of impending trouble. If I was Fresno State, I'd go 4 WRs all day, make the Duck safeties, nickel, and dime cover, and generally throw the ball around all day. If even half successful, despite being young at QB, I could see tOSU and their 67 uber talented WRs do the same thing.

In that regard, I think Fresno may tell us something (maybe more than normal opener) about the forthcoming defensive performance? Maybe a case of major over-analysis and I'm hungry for a game? Maybe the point is, it appears despite not being highly regarded, Fresno State is capable of giving the Ducks a game which may tell more about tOSU than is currently expected?
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Will Ohio State's stadium make the game harder? I mean, I think it's less intimidating than Autzen Stadium tho.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

The Shoe is definitely more intimidating than current day Autzen.

When was the last time Autzen was juiced? UW 2018 I suppose. The crowds have been pretty mediocre for a decade now.
JIDuck97
Four Star Recruit

Post by JIDuck97 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:The Shoe is definitely more intimidating than current day Autzen.

When was the last time Autzen was juiced? UW 2018 I suppose. The crowds have been pretty mediocre for a decade now.
Depends on the game, the opponent, and how close it is.
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

DuckzRule wrote:Will Ohio State's stadium make the game harder?
lol, is this a serious question? The Shoe is one of the hardest places to play in the country.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I think so much of the game will depend on the ability to rattle CJ Stroud or whoever tOSU is running out at QB. 2020 was bad at bringing pressure and getting interceptions, but if it’s a game more reminiscent of 2019 or 2012 when the sacks and interceptions were coming then this will be a good game.

Stopping the run/TFL, passes knocked down, etc to make life more difficult for the QB are of course needed - but nothing is as effective as a consistent pass rush and getting hits, hurries, and sacks.

Other than KT guys will need to step up. Funa or AJax off the edge? Sewell or Flowe blitz up the middle? TBD on a nickel blitz? Popo from the nose? Someone will need to get it done. Ryan Day is no dummy he’s gonna have a game plan for it, but quick plays aren’t going to be enough, there will be opportunity. Very few QBs early in their career can shake off big hits and not rush the play next time.
GrantDuck
Senior

Re: #11 Oregon @ #4 Ohio State (Sept. 11 Sat 9 AM FOX)

Post by GrantDuck »

Offensively:
1. Brown has to be able to execute under pressure and not miss his chances deep. Ohio State front 7 will be nasty, but their secondary was mediocre last season and didn't look great in spring.
2. Verdell and Dye have to break some damn tackles and get tough yards.

Defensively:
1. Stop the deep passing game. If you watched Ohio State in the Spring game, their WR's are crazy talented. We have to win those jump ball situations.
2. Stop the run. Pretty obvious against most B1G 10 teams, especially with a new QB. They're going to get yards, but we have to get off the damn field on 3rd and 3 situations against the run. Flowe/Sewell HAVE to be GAP SOUND or we will get gashed.

Special teams: No blunders like we saw last year. We got outcoached so hard here in the bowl game. We have a good punter and kicker and Ohio State actually struggled in the kicking game a lot last season. So, no mistakes should suffice.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

This is probably a stupid question, but had we actually played last year's game in Autzen Stadium, I wonder how much of a blowout it would have been.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

DuckzRule wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but had we actually played last year's game in Autzen Stadium, I wonder how much of a blowout it would have been.

Our safety’s were crap last year. I’m guessing this team would have been far different with the opt outs still on board. I think we would have played them tough, at full strength and a packed Autzen.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

DuckzRule wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but had we actually played last year's game in Autzen Stadium, I wonder how much of a blowout it would have been.
Wouldn't that game have been cancelled because of the air quality being in the 400s at the time? Nevada had to shuttle out to Stanford because the air quality near Reno is bad and I don't even think its as bad as it is in Medford/Klamath right now.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

In a world where Covid and the smoke didn’t happen, the Oregon-OSU game would not have been a blowout but OSU probably would’ve won. No opt-outs and a full camp would probably have meant Brown would’ve started. If Shough started, then yeah it would’ve been a blowout.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

OregonFan4Life wrote:In a world where Covid and the smoke didn’t happen, the Oregon-OSU game would not have been a blowout but OSU probably would’ve won. No opt-outs and a full camp would probably have meant Brown would’ve started. If Shough started, then yeah it would’ve been a blowout.
I still remember the painful loss to Oregon State last year, and that night where I went to bed angry and sad I started to blame Shough as the reason for why we lost the game, thank god he isn't with us anymore.