Potential scandal in the Pac 12

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Potential scandal in the Pac 12

Post by karlhungis »

Quietduck wrote:Is it just me or does this seem like just the beginning
I'll be surprised if it was only ASU doing this.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

karlhungis wrote:
Quietduck wrote:Is it just me or does this seem like just the beginning
I'll be surprised if it was only ASU doing this.
I'll be surprised if it was just the pac12. I'm betting you could find at least one college in every D1 conference that violated covid rules if you look hard enough.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:Karma for Gill giving them our playbook, right before we played. Hope he and Pierce never coach college again.
I am wondering if this is what George is referring to. Maybe they have have proof or credible witnesses of Gill spying on Oregon with Edwards approval prior to that upset loss that may have cost Oregon and the conference a playoff spot.

That might be the "legacy damaging" scandal more than a little recruiting cheating.

Anyway I never expected anything much to come out of this and for "balance of power shifting" that would require ASU to become suddenly good because of this.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Hopefully these a-holes get the death penalty.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

If you’re going to cheat, you don’t fire anyone who was against bringing in recruits during the pandemic. Did Herm really think these guys would stay quit after that?
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

There were supposedly multiple former staff members who blew the whistle, including NFL HoF center Kevin Mawae. Guy who is coaching but is wealthy so it’s not a need, not an ASU alum and was with the program for two years, his connection is playing for Herm with the Jets. You cross that guy what’s his motivation to keep his mouth shut?

Or hiring a guy like Prentice Gill? What if he gets a better job at another school? He talked crap about Mario to a random fan on twitter, what will he do to help him recruit if he had damaging info?

Sloppy, Herm. Overrated coach, sloppy administrator.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Its always suspect when a school with no real football pedigree and mediocre on field production suddenly starts to recruit well and makes the official visits short list of many top recruits around the country.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

alxtw wrote:Its always suspect when a school with no real football pedigree and mediocre on field production suddenly starts to recruit well and makes the official visits short list of many top recruits around the country.
Soooo, Oregon in the Chip Kelly years?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

squintsdd wrote:
alxtw wrote:Its always suspect when a school with no real football pedigree and mediocre on field production suddenly starts to recruit well and makes the official visits short list of many top recruits around the country.

I think Bellotti had a couple higher ranked classes than Chip had.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

squintsdd wrote:
If Chip had Mario's recruiting mentality, we would have had some top classes in the nation.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

buckmarkduck wrote:
squintsdd wrote:

I think Bellotti had a couple higher ranked classes than Chip had.
He might've, but recruiting really took off when chip joined the staff, and Oregon was, for the most part, mediocre team with a good season here and there prior to him
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

Unfortunately, Chip hated recruiting. His product helped our recruiting but he, himself was a problem in that area and was open about it.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Quietduck wrote:Unfortunately, Chip hated recruiting. His product helped our recruiting but he, himself was a problem in that area and was open about it.
True, but my original point was that it's not necessarily suspect if a mediocre school suddenly starts to do well at recruiting when new staff comes along
Last edited by squintsdd on Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

Won't argue with that statement
desertfan
Three Star Recruit

Post by desertfan »

alxtw wrote:
squintsdd wrote:
If Chip had Mario's recruiting mentality, we would have had some top classes in the nation.
If Chip had Mario's recruiting mentality, we would have multiple natty's right now.