Potential scandal in the Pac 12

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Potential scandal in the Pac 12

Post by lukeyrid13 »

If Chip had just stayed, our success would have recruited itself essentially. We had skill players across the country begging to come here.

I would have hoped that Chip would have evolved and added in some top level recruiting coordinators, but he had all the tools in place to be a steady top 5 program and at minimum be at the level of success of Oklahoma for the past decade.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

lukeyrid13 wrote:If Chip had just stayed, our success would have recruited itself essentially. We had skill players across the country begging to come here.

I would have hoped that Chip would have evolved and added in some top level recruiting coordinators, but he had all the tools in place to be a steady top 5 program and at minimum be at the level of success of Oklahoma for the past decade.
He was hit with an 18 month show cause order, so he wasn't going to be staying at Oregon
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

squintsdd wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:If Chip had just stayed, our success would have recruited itself essentially. We had skill players across the country begging to come here.

He was hit with an 18 month show cause order, so he wasn't going to be staying at Oregon
That's true.
I do think they came down pretty hard on the Willie Lyles stuff. I wonder if the punishment would have been the same had he stayed or if we would have found a different fall guy instead.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

UNC teachers giving out passing grades to athletes was far worse than paying for a scouting service.

The days of the NCAA being an organization are numbered because they lack anyone in a position of leadership who can read the room and adapt to the changes happening around them.
lmduck

Potential scandal in the Pac 12

Post by lmduck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
squintsdd wrote:

That's true.
I do think they came down pretty hard on the Willie Lyles stuff. I wonder if the punishment would have been the same had he stayed or if we would have found a different fall guy instead.
There actually was a different fall guy (coach) who would have lost his job at Oregon. If Chip had stayed not only would he have been suspended for the first 6 games of the season, he also would have had the 18 month show cause and the other coach in question would been fired. There was way more 'behind the scenes' to Chip leaving than was made public. Yes, he wanted to try his hand in the NFL but if he stayed other dominoes would have fallen.

Glad that is all in the past but I can honestly tell you the whole Willy L. episode was highly nuanced and many believe UO came out of that pretty well considering what some of the initial punishment options were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk