#3 Oregon @ Stanford (Oct. 2, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: #3 Oregon @ Stanford (Oct. 2, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Post by pezsez1 »

Man, I'm glad I didn't get to watch this game beyond the second quarter! (And the first half was bad enough.)

I didn't see the end and I don't plan on it.

I've been on the fence all year about whether Tye Thompson or AB should start. AB was great against tOSU but has otherwise underperformed. The tOSU game gave me faith in Mario's judgement to go with experience over talent. However, after seeing AB repeatedly struggle against teams with inferior talent than what he sees in practice each day, I'm back to siding with my gut instinct that we should turn the page and start developing Oregon's next elite QB now.

The problem is that AB has played *just not bad enough* to get benched. He's still the smart money to lead us to the best-possible record with the games left on our schedule. Unfortunately, I don't think he has much potential beyond that. He's not the QB who will take this program to the promised land. And if that's not the goal, then what are we doing here?

I don't expect Mario to make a change because he clearly values experience over talent. We see this with the RBs, too. Verdell and Dye are a step below the RBs we're used to seeing in this program, and yet they get all the snaps in front of a stable of talented younger RBs. It's hard to believe that NOT ONE of those highly ranked recruits would do better with a game or two under his belt. And yet... here we are.

Not going to comment on the refs. Sounds like we got hosed, but from what I saw in the first half we crapped the bed enough without any help.

I'm honestly not too bothered by this loss because I never believed we were really the #3 team in the country. We have the foundation of a great team -- and, unlike others, I'm generally high on our coaching staff -- but in this era of college football we need a more powerful offense, specifically elite playmaking at the QB and RB positions. We don't have that with AB, Dye, and Verdell. We could win all of our games the rest of the season and maybe squeak into the college football playoff, but we won't really be a team that belongs there until we get elite playmakers in those key positions.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Suprabob
High School Drop Out

Post by Suprabob »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Phalanx wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
Suprabob wrote:The incomplete pass did make a difference. If we ran it, Stanford would have used their last time out then. The next play we would have burned another 30 seconds off the game clock and Stanford would not have been able to stop it. We then punt and they would have a minute and a half to go 95 yards with no timeouts. Much harder to do unless the ref's give you 50 yards in penalty yards in the final drive. Oh, wait.

Holy hell an OG account and just the 2nd post!
Ha, I noticed that too. What a depressing time to come back and make your first two posts since the new site started almost 13 year ago. :lol:

Oh well, welcome back.
Amazin! Welcome back
I did not realize I was OG (Old Guard?). I really have never left the site and just liked to read the posts. I never had much contribute, so I always remained silent. Today I just got worked up and posted. I don't think I have been this mad during a game since we could not snap the ball to the QB in the second half against TCU. My throat still has scar tissue from that game.

I love my Ducks. I have missed only 4 home games since 1993. I saw Kenny Wheaton score in Autzen and play in the Rose Bowl. I sat next to him during the Rose Bowl game against Florida State. Surprisingly, endzone seats were all the Duck Ticket Office felt we rated. I understand about me, but Kenny? I have attended five Rose Bowl's, Two Holiday Bowl's and The BCS Championship game in Glendale. I dream of the day the Ducks can win it all. I enjoy reading the Posts on this site and and some of the characters that are here. Whatever happened to that Hines guy who always said,"He ain't coming"? Must have left once Mario and staff took over. Lol.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Apparently it doesn't matter what ERA we are in.
We find the most improbable way to lose to Stanford in these games.
We can have Brady or Mahones back there and we would still find a way to lose. It's inexplicably cursed in years where we're trying to get back to the title game.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

pezsez1 wrote:Man, I'm glad I didn't get to watch this game beyond the second quarter! (And the first half was bad enough.)

I didn't see the end and I don't plan on it.

I've been on the fence all year about whether Tye Thompson or AB should start. AB was great against tOSU but has otherwise underperformed. The tOSU game gave me faith in Mario's judgement to go with experience over talent. However, after seeing AB repeatedly struggle against teams with inferior talent than what he sees in practice each day, I'm back to siding with my gut instinct that we should turn the page and start developing Oregon's next elite QB now.

The problem is that AB has played *just not bad enough* to get benched. He's still the smart money to lead us to the best-possible record with the games left on our schedule. Unfortunately, I don't think he has much potential beyond that. He's not the QB who will take this program to the promised land. And if that's not the goal, then what are we doing here?

I don't expect Mario to make a change because he clearly values experience over talent. We see this with the RBs, too. Verdell and Dye are a step below the RBs we're used to seeing in this program, and yet they get all the snaps in front of a stable of talented younger RBs. It's hard to believe that NOT ONE of those highly ranked recruits would do better with a game or two under his belt. And yet... here we are.

Not going to comment on the refs. Sounds like we got hosed, but from what I saw in the first half we crapped the bed enough without any help.

I'm honestly not too bothered by this loss because I never believed we were really the #3 team in the country. We have the foundation of a great team -- and, unlike others, I'm generally high on our coaching staff -- but in this era of college football we need a more powerful offense, specifically elite playmaking at the QB and RB positions. We don't have that with AB, Dye, and Verdell. We could win all of our games the rest of the season and maybe squeak into the college football playoff, but we won't really be a team that belongs there until we get elite playmakers in those key positions.
I said that at the beginning of the year I was worried about the quarterback and runningback positions. I will say Verdell and Dye have looked like elite backs so far this season. Brown has got to play better if he wants to remain the starter. Ty Thompson has looked great in the time he has been. Also Butterfield has also impressed me. So when if you are Brown and you have two great back ups you have to play better than that.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Not sure if this has been answered, but that targeting call on redd, which was reviewed, could it have been switched to a personal foul or other penalty when they overturned the targeting review?

Also, we could still have a slight chance to make the CFP if we win out. But if we lose again and dont have a chance at the CFP, I fully support benching Brown and putting in one of our younger QBs for game experience. He'll neeed it for next year when we're on the road early against Georgia.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

northbeachsf wrote:
droop10 wrote:
Suprabob wrote:The incomplete pass did make a difference. If we ran it, Stanford would have used their last time out then. The next play we would have burned another 30 seconds off the game clock and Stanford would not have been able to stop it. We then punt and they would have a minute and a half to go 95 yards with no timeouts. Much harder to do unless the ref's give you 50 yards in penalty yards in the final drive. Oh, wait.
No, no additional time would have been used. They had 2 timeouts left. Passing left them with an extra timeout that they would have used had the Ducks run it instead. The only reason they had to use a timeout at all on offense was because they ran an ineffective run play that would have just been their 20th fade pass in a row if they didn’t have a timeout. It made 0 difference.
Agree. The bigger issue was earlier in the final Oregon possession, Oregon was snapping the ball with 8-12 seconds left on the play clock. I don’t have any issue with screen pass on second down like everyone else. If the clock was managed properly earlier in the possession, there is less than 1 minute left in the game at that point. There is a reason the ESPN graphs showed 99.9% chance of an Oregon win. I was screaming at the TV “don’t snap it yet”. Another clock management head scratcher.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

northbeachsf wrote:
duck023 wrote:
chapelhillduck wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:
duck023 wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:We lost. Should have done a few more things.

But honestly, Stanford got gifted that game.

We aren’t Bama or Georgia and that’s ok. Just go 1-0 next week and keep pressing on.
Why can't we be Bama and Georgia. I don't like this mentality that Oregon is like Fresno St or something and we should just be happy to be top 15 even though Oregon beat Ohio State at Ohio State.
Have you watched Bama or Georgia this year? If you love college football you have to admit...........I have never seen such dominance from two programs in a long long time. No one is even in their time zone this year.
Exactly this, they’re on another level right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Georgia isn't on Alabama's level or even close. Honestly as far as Oregon surpassing Georgia that isn't a big deal to me its not even close to being on Ohio State's level. Alabama is the team that seems unbeatable. I was hoping Oregon farting around (They didn't score in like the last 9 minutes of that game)and still winning a game against Ohio State was a sign that they could maybe challenge Alabama but that was just a sign that they fart around.
Georgia would beat Oregon by 4+ TDs. Alabama would beat Oregon by double that. There is no chance Oregon’s one dimensional offense would have any success or consistency against either of those elite defenses. I honestly think we would get blanked in those games. Arkansas and Ole Miss both have better offenses than Oregon and look what happened to them today. Oregon has no business in the playoff anyway this year. I think expectations got really out of whack after the Ohio State win. Hopefully they can win the north somehow and make the conference championship game, but I suspect we will drop 1-2 more.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Wow this is pathetic. Everyone needs to know the ball won’t he snapped til there’s less than 5 sec on the play clock. Such undisciplined PLAYERS.

Fixed.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

"First off if you are trying to be 100% honest Georgia is closer to Oregon than they are to Bama. The thing is forget those teams if Florida was in the Pac 12 they would run the table except for maybe Oregon. I think Oregon is at least Florida's level but they tighten up in Pac 12 season."

If this team played Georgia right now with Brown at QB, they would destroy Oregon. Hell they can't even keep their starting QB on the field for more than 2 games and they still know how to win. They are what we're not-disciplined, TOUGH, football smart and their head coach lets his play callers call the plays that suit their players talents and know how to manage a clock.

What was the time out 30 seconds into the third quarter about?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I really don’t understand those that think this is fine because they knew we weren’t the #3 team in the first place. We may not be the 3rd best team in the nation but going into the shoe and beating a very good tOSU team proves we’re pretty darn good ourselves, and we have no business losing to a mediocre Furd team. Especially in the fashion we did.

northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

You can blame the refs or Anthony Brown, or something else, but the bottom line is that Oregon is running a high school offense. Runs up the middle and short to intermediate safe passing plays with no attempt to utilize our talent effectively at the skill positions and put teams away.

Oregon is never going to be able to consistently pull away from inferior teams through an entire season because of this. We have these games like yesterday (or ASU in 2019 or OSU in 2020) that are close when they shouldn’t be on paper. Then you make a mistake or two and don’t execute perfectly and it results in a loss.

Ty Thompson is NOT going to fix this issue. If Herbert couldn’t fix it, then Ty can’t either. This is 100% a philosophy issue.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

northbeachsf wrote:You can blame the refs or Anthony Brown, or something else, but the bottom line is that Oregon is running a high school offense. Runs up the middle and short to intermediate safe passing plays with no attempt to utilize our talent effectively at the skill positions and put teams away.

Oregon is never going to be able to consistently pull away from inferior teams through an entire season because of this. We have these games like yesterday (or ASU in 2019 or OSU in 2020) that are close when they shouldn’t be on paper. Then you make a mistake or two and don’t execute perfectly and it results in a loss.

Ty Thompson is NOT going to fix this issue. If Herbert couldn’t fix it, then Ty can’t either. This is 100% a philosophy issue.
This is essentially what I was saying after the Fresno St. game, that our issue is our philosophy, not an individual player or coach. I changed my tune after the tOSU game, but it just seems that, despite our occasional peaks, we always slide back to this median of mediocre football.

You get the sense that Mario prefers grinding games out and just slowly crushing a team into submission. And it actually works a lot. You could see it happening yesterday; as the game wore on our defense was dominating and we were enforcing our will in the run game. The problem is it leaves you with no margin for error, which is why we always drop a game or two we shouldn’t. If you coach with that philosophy, and determine playing time based on who’s the best at not making mistakes, you suck the ability to be dynamic out of your team.

I think it’s why we see all our QBs regress. They’re coached to manage and not make mistakes, and they all get trapped in that mode. When it comes time to make some plays, just like yesterday, the QB looks like he’s never ran a pass play in his life.

rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

We had receivers open all the time for the entire game. Brown made bad reads, hogged the ball for nil gains, threw inaccurately, or somehow did not see the open receivers. Why is he playing?
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:You can blame the refs or Anthony Brown, or something else, but the bottom line is that Oregon is running a high school offense. Runs up the middle and short to intermediate safe passing plays with no attempt to utilize our talent effectively at the skill positions and put teams away.

This is essentially what I was saying after the Fresno St. game, that our issue is our philosophy, not an individual player or coach. I changed my tune after the tOSU game, but it just seems that, despite our occasional peaks, we always slide back to this median of mediocre football.

You get the sense that Mario prefers grinding games out and just slowly crushing a team into submission. And it actually works a lot. You could see it happening yesterday; as the game wore on our defense was dominating and we were enforcing our will in the run game. The problem is it leaves you with no margin for error, which is why we always drop a game or two we shouldn’t. If you coach with that philosophy, and determine playing time based on who’s the best at not making mistakes, you suck the ability to be dynamic out of your team.

I think it’s why we see all our QBs regress. They’re coached to manage and not make mistakes, and they all get trapped in that mode. When it comes time to make some plays, just like yesterday, the QB looks like he’s never ran a pass play in his life.

100%. We have so much talent, yet refuse to utilize it because we insist on playing this “my junk is bigger than your junk” offense.

As my friend pointed out during the game, we have five 4* TEs on the roster. That group had 1 catch for 11 yards yesterday. Devon Williams is open every play. That dude would probably be a 1000 yard receiver in any decent offense.
Without the Pittman catch and run, AB barely has 100 yards passing yesterday

I have no idea why guys like Franklin, Thornton, Williams, and McGee are coming to Oregon right now. To maybe get 1-2 targets at 5-15 yards per game? Not to be a $&@@, but those guys should be in the transfer portal yesterday.
Last edited by northbeachsf on Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
rentdodger
One Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:

Two adult takes…..good job(not that there are others)

The deeper into the season you go, more tape available to show player/team strength, weakness etc. if your team can adapt, obvious strength. If not, huge weakness. This is where the jury is still out on Cristobal. The two false starts killing chances control the game on your terms hurt this team just as much as questionable calls. Good teams don’t do that.