#3 Oregon @ Stanford (Oct. 2, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: #3 Oregon @ Stanford (Oct. 2, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Post by greenyellow »

droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Suprabob wrote:The incomplete pass did make a difference. If we ran it, Stanford would have used their last time out then. The next play we would have burned another 30 seconds off the game clock and Stanford would not have been able to stop it. We then punt and they would have a minute and a half to go 95 yards with no timeouts. Much harder to do unless the ref's give you 50 yards in penalty yards in the final drive. Oh, wait.
No, no additional time would have been used. They had 2 timeouts left. Passing left them with an extra timeout that they would have used had the Ducks run it instead. The only reason they had to use a timeout at all on offense was because they ran an ineffective run play that would have just been their 20th fade pass in a row if they didn’t have a timeout. It made 0 difference.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

chapelhillduck wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:
duck023 wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:We lost. Should have done a few more things.

But honestly, Stanford got gifted that game.

We aren’t Bama or Georgia and that’s ok. Just go 1-0 next week and keep pressing on.
Why can't we be Bama and Georgia. I don't like this mentality that Oregon is like Fresno St or something and we should just be happy to be top 15 even though Oregon beat Ohio State at Ohio State.
Have you watched Bama or Georgia this year? If you love college football you have to admit...........I have never seen such dominance from two programs in a long long time. No one is even in their time zone this year.
Exactly this, they’re on another level right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Georgia isn't on Alabama's level or even close. Honestly as far as Oregon surpassing Georgia that isn't a big deal to me its not even close to being on Ohio State's level. Alabama is the team that seems unbeatable. I was hoping Oregon farting around (They didn't score in like the last 9 minutes of that game)and still winning a game against Ohio State was a sign that they could maybe challenge Alabama but that was just a sign that they fart around.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

OrTDuck wrote:Begin rant:

You know, if there ever was a time to switch QBs if you feel you got a guy who is at all close to ready, it was at half.

The way Brown has played much of the season, it really hard to argue the coaches have confidence Ty is ready and yet are just seeing something we aren't seeing in AB (or being stubborn).

From what I understand, Ty played in a much different offense in high school. They had a more stretch the field vertical passing attack, and at least on film their HS typically had a big talent advantage, and it was one read and bombs away (I believe they were back-to-back state champions).

At this point I'm really not sure what to make of JM's offense. Brown's PE is low, but looking back at last year at Oregon, two years at Mississippi State, and even two years at Penn State, I don't really find upper tier PE scores for any JM QBs.

It's rushing, running the QB, run-pass options, and a lot of TEs and short passing in the the 2-10 yard range.

Thompson has what, maybe 35 snaps this year, 6-12 throwing and two rushes for -3 yards. I imagine he isn't playing because he is a passing QB trying to be "fit" into JM's offense, and I hate to say it but I'm starting to wonder about the "fit".

Thompson wants to sit back and throw 40 times a game (and likely will be good at it), and MC and JM want the QB to run 15 times a game, throw 13 short passes a game, and maybe take 2 shots a game.

I was watching today with all the 3 and 4 WR sets Oregon trots out and I'm thinking, who are we fooling. The odds on any given play of Oregon completing a pass that travels 10+ yards down field through the air is pretty small. Oregon is choosing to play inside a phone booth. In the OT on 4th down, did any of us think there was ANY chance, other than an absolute miracle, of a route being ran and a 20 yard pass completed?

Poor Devon Williams, guy for some reason struggles to get snaps, yet he's always open. I really would like to see more of Tony Franklin. Looks like a future game breaking talent. Then I think, well, if he played most of a game we'd probably be missing 2-3 eight yard catches, cause that is all this offense currently has got.

Rant concluded.
That was an excellent post!

And it mirrors what I just do not understand. This team has 4-5* talent all over the field, and they are scared to death to run even the most vanilla offensive plays. For those of us old enough to remember this phrase, it seems the most creative our play callers can get is "3 yards and a cloud of dust". Uhhh ok, great, only even Alabama finally gave up on that 3 years ago. We have all this talent just sitting on the bench while we run 3 yard play after 3 yard play. What are we doing? Why recruit all this talent if all we are going to do is throw 4 yard passes, or run pass options for 4 yards every single play? What are we so scared of?
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

"We have all this talent just sitting on the bench while we run 3 yard play after 3 yard play. What are we doing? Why recruit all this talent if all we are going to do is throw 4 yard passes, or run pass options for 4 yards every single play? What are we so scared of?"

I suppose I'm frustrated but really what MC and JM need to do is find a 6-2 true dual threat QB, keep the young OL they have brought in, find a Royce Freeman type RB, play Andre Thornton, and maybe add a George Kittle type at TE, and then keep bringing in the elite talent in the front 7 on "D".

Try and win with an updated "Old Stanford Model". That fits your head coach and coordinators, and should be feasible at the current recruiting level. Seems like too many "square pegs in round holes" right now, especially on offense.

I say at this point, switching QBs probably helps, but I'm not entirely sure it is the "cure all" that it is often pointed as. MC said it again after the game, AB did most of what is expected of him. This offense probably does NOT get a bunch better with a "board line five star" freshman gunslinger, because that isn't what it is or does, or even really tries to be.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Suprabob wrote:The incomplete pass did make a difference. If we ran it, Stanford would have used their last time out then. The next play we would have burned another 30 seconds off the game clock and Stanford would not have been able to stop it. We then punt and they would have a minute and a half to go 95 yards with no timeouts. Much harder to do unless the ref's give you 50 yards in penalty yards in the final drive. Oh, wait.
Holy hell an OG account and just the 2nd post!

The way it would have played out would have left Stanford with roughly 2 minutes and no timeouts as they had 2 of them and used it on 3rd down, which left them with 1.

Play-calling is different with a timeout. that said, it was 2 crossers and i believe the rest where almost all penalty yards which is why ultimately it didn't matter.

Targeting - Questionable
Roughing Passer - Questionable
Pass Interference - Questionable

contrasted with 12 men on the field - replay the down
false start - no whistle

I might even be forgetting a 3rd Stanford penalty that wasn't called on that drive - 6 flags/no flags in those situations that all favor 1 team is BS.

It will be interesting to see if Kliavakoff can read the tea leaves and have the conference issue some kind of "last minute report" which says that certain plays were missed in order to save face nationally but I doubt it.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Duck07 wrote:

The way it would have played out would have left Stanford with roughly 2 minutes and no timeouts as they had 2 of them and used it on 3rd down, which left them with 1.

Play-calling is different with a timeout. that said, it was 2 crossers and i believe the rest where almost all penalty yards which is why ultimately it didn't matter.

Targeting - Questionable
Roughing Passer - Questionable
Pass Interference - Questionable

contrasted with 12 men on the field - replay the down
false start - no whistle

I might even be forgetting a 3rd Stanford penalty that wasn't called on that drive - 6 flags/no flags in those situations that all favor 1 team is BS.

It will be interesting to see if Kliavakoff can read the tea leaves and have the conference issue some kind of "last minute report" which says that certain plays were missed in order to save face nationally but I doubt it.
I tweeted at him so hopefully others will as well. If he doesn't listen and clean house on the Pac 12 refs then I think Oregon has to consider leaving the Pac 12 for the BIG. If Oregon's in the Iowa, Minnesota etc side of the BIG then I think Oregon would have a much easier chance at the playoffs.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Did I just imagine a Stanford player pulling Dye’s helmet off on that long 4th quarter drive?

Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck07 wrote:

Ha, I noticed that too. What a depressing time to come back and make your first two posts since the new site started almost 13 year ago. :lol:

Oh well, welcome back.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Phalanx wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

Ha, I noticed that too. What a depressing time to come back and make your first two posts since the new site started almost 13 year ago. :lol:

Oh well, welcome back.
Amazin! Welcome back

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
snapt
Four Star Recruit

Post by snapt »

AB is a pretty solid game manager, but he misses a fair few reads and has zero touch on vertical throws. Receivers are constantly open but his flat trajectory constantly results in over or under throws and teams don't respect the deep threat. I'd rather see a QB a who can make those throws but throws a few more pics than one who can't make them at all.
BOOF it!
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

snapt wrote:AB is a pretty solid game manager, but he misses a fair few reads and has zero touch on vertical throws. Receivers are constantly open but his flat trajectory constantly results in over or under throws and teams don't respect the deep threat. I'd rather see a QB a who can make those throws but throws a few more pics than one who can't make them at all.
Yes, so why is he on the field? ugh
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

I have seen a few of us who don't hate the call IN THEORY. I think in real time all of us were wondering what we were watching.

We see teams in college football go the length of the field without a bunch of time on the clock. Their QB has shown some ability to throw the ball around. Didn't Fresno State recently go 75 yards for a game winning TD pass against UCLA in 0:40?

Stanford was expecting a run, and with the surprise element, a screen should have been a pretty safe call, if executed, like a run. Take em by surprise, flip it to a RB, he stays in bounds, clock needs to get stopped.

Ball was at the Stanford 47 and 2nd down. Get 10 yards and maybe you think you have a shot on 3rd to get enough to win the game with a 1st down (if short even consider a long FG attempt). Don't give them that 0:40 chance.

The problem being, after back-to-back false starts, AB's passing all day, CJ out, who in the world thought odds were good the offense was actually gonna successfully execute a simple screen? That's where someone should have gotten a reality check.

Prior to that play call, Oregon had ran straight ahead 9 straight times for a reason. A screen was IMO a bad call mostly because with down and distance a successful execution was a low probability. Why all of a sudden all the optimism? Why decide to get risky when you aren't an offense particularly known as succeeding with risk? The two false starts not tell you where the offense was at?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

OrTDuck wrote:I have seen a few of us who don't hate the call IN THEORY. I think in real time all of us were wondering what we were watching.

We see teams in college football go the length of the field without a bunch of time on the clock. Their QB has shown some ability to throw the ball around. Didn't Fresno State recently go 75 yards for a game winning TD pass against UCLA in 0:40?

Stanford was expecting a run, and with the surprise element, a screen should have been a pretty safe call, if executed, like a run. Take em by surprise, flip it to a RB, he stays in bounds, clock needs to get stopped.

Ball was at the Stanford 47 and 2nd down. Get 10 yards and maybe you think you have a shot on 3rd to get enough to win the game with a 1st down (if short even consider a long FG attempt). Don't give them that 0:40 chance.

The problem being, after back-to-back false starts, AB's passing all day, CJ out, who in the world thought odds were good the offense was actually gonna successfully execute a simple screen? That's where someone should have gotten a reality check.

Prior to that play call, Oregon had ran straight ahead 9 straight times for a reason. A screen was IMO a bad call mostly because with down and distance a successful execution was a low probability. Why all of a sudden all the optimism? Why decide to get risky when you aren't an offense particularly known as succeeding with risk? The two false starts not tell you where the offense was at?
If the coach of the 3rd ranked team with top 10 recruiting classes over the past 3 years doesn’t have confidence in his offense to execute a basic screen pass then it’s time for serious personnel changes.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

We did call a screen to Dye, it was covered and AB threw it into the ground