Cal @ #8 Oregon (Oct. 15, Fri 7:30 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Cal @ #8 Oregon (Oct. 15, Fri 7:30 PM ESPN)

Post by StevensTechU »

Ditto on the name calling stuff. Being a fan doesn't mean you need to act completely childish.

On Herbert's development, I think a great deal of that was losing legitimate targets. The wide receivers couldn't catch the ball if you placed it in their lap, and I think that effected not only Herb's passing stats but his entire approach. He didn't trust anyone after D Mitch moved on, and understandably so. If he had this group of wideouts, I think our passing attack would be frightening. A guy like Redd has come light-years from where he was a couple years ago, and we've added a lot of talent.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

StevensTechU wrote: If he had this group of wideouts, I think our passing attack would be frightening. A guy like Redd has come light-years from where he was a couple years ago, and we've added a lot of talent.
I'm trying to figure out how anyone can watch the games so far and arrive at the conclusion that the receivers this year are measurably better than two years ago. The leading receivers are the same two guys, Johnson and Redd. How is Redd light-years better than back then? He's averaging less receiving yards per game this year (29.75) so far than 2019 (38.75). How exactly are the light-years being manifested?

I said before the season that I didn't expect the offense to improve with largely the same personnel as we have had the past several years, and that seems to be the case five games in. I don't know if the coaching can improve over years past, but I am definitely ready to see some new blood at the skill positions. I was thrilled that Oregon beat Ohio State to start the year, but if that victory has created an environment where Mario is afraid to play the younger and potentially more talented guys, I don't see how that can help the team improve, or even maintain an attractive situation for recruits. Brown and/or the coaches were completely petrified to pass the ball at the end of the Stanford game. What does that say about this quarterback and these receivers?
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

It sure has been interesting watching Oklahoma throw Caleb Williams out there and him leading the team to a big comeback against Texas (20-38 at half with 182 yards and two TDs in the 2nd). Now, there is about a minute left and it's tied (48-48).

I recall there not being a clear top group of QBs entering 2020 like some years, but Williams (OU), Vandagriff (Georgia), McCord (tOSU), McCarthy (Michigan), and Thompson (UO) and a couple others all battling it out for that early top spot at places like the Elite 11, with guys changing spots nearly each day, depending on who you asked.

Williams settled into number 1 on most lists I believe, with Thompson around #5. Hard to argue Williams not totally changing this game for OU just doing his thing.

And OU at to put a former Heisman favorite on the bench (Rattler). The Duck staff?

Also interesting seeing WR Worthy, despite some mistakes, tearing it up as a true freshman for Texas. Anyone think he would be doing anything other than getting his feet wet at Oregon?
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

It sure has been interesting watching Oklahoma throw Caleb Williams out there and him leading the team to a big comeback against Texas
Was thinking the same thing. That took guts, and it paid off.

I like Anthony Brown -- he was amazing against Ohio State, and that's a win Duck fans will never forget -- but he's not the future of Oregon football, and he's barely even the present. Sure, we might have the best chance to win the most games with him at QB, but that's only if Thompson doesn't start getting more reps. I don't think it would take long for Thompson to start out-performing Brown on the field.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
OfaFeather
Two Star Recruit

Post by OfaFeather »

pezsez1 wrote:
It sure has been interesting watching Oklahoma throw Caleb Williams out there and him leading the team to a big comeback against Texas

I like Anthony Brown -- he was amazing against Ohio State, and that's a win Duck fans will never forget -- but he's not the future of Oregon football, and he's barely even the present. Sure, we might have the best chance to win the most games with him at QB, but that's only if Thompson doesn't start getting more reps. I don't think it would take long for Thompson to start out-performing Brown on the field.
The blind faith in a QB who retains a QB rating at 60.2 (60th in the NCAA) is confusing. The fact that TT, Butters or Ash are not getting meaningful snaps with the 1’s may be the reason that they are not developing. You can’t expect new players to shine and get better if they are not get the emphasis of the coaching. It almost seems like there is a concerted effort to make the system work with AB and not even give some emphasis to the backups to see if they could be anything better. And when you say that each practice is a competition seems almost contrary to what actually happening.
OfaFeather
Two Star Recruit

Post by OfaFeather »

I saw some folks get upset about nicknames, sorry if that offended anyone. 6 years spent in combats units in and out of the Middle East and we used to nickname everyone, hard habit to break but I will keep it check.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

OfaFeather wrote:I saw some folks get upset about nicknames, sorry if that offended anyone. 6 years spent in combats units in and out of the Middle East and we used to nickname everyone, hard habit to break but I will keep it check.
I hope you are well.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

OfaFeather wrote:I saw some folks get upset about nicknames, sorry if that offended anyone. 6 years spent in combats units in and out of the Middle East and we used to nickname everyone, hard habit to break but I will keep it check.
Thank you for your service. Much respect to you.

I reacted the way I did because last week at Stanford AB’s family / relatives sat two rows in front of me. A group of Duck fans were in between. They spent the whole game berating and cursing the team in general but also on numerous occasions said very bad things about AB using very graphic language. It was embarrassing to say the least and at the time they also assumed Moorehead was calling the game because they had some expletives for him too. I honestly cannot believe they did not realize it was members of his family in front of them. They all had on green shirts with his name and number on them.

Bottom line it was embarrassing and made that group of so called Duck fans look really ignorant.

I guess that episode sort of stuck with me and when I again saw a Duck fan calling out AB it made me think of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
webfoots2001
Two Star Recruit

Post by webfoots2001 »

If we are talking about names can we please learn the OC’s name is Moorhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OfaFeather
Two Star Recruit

Post by OfaFeather »

I know that this isn’t related to the ducks, but dang did anyone watch the T&AM and Bama game…this is a wild year, i though Bama would roll through everyone except UGA was gonna be competitive. If you think we are upset about losing, you have to wonder what their fan base is doing right now.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I thought it was hilarious, but in general, I like to take it easy on college kids. They aren't getting paid*, and even though we want them to win, college is supposed to be a learning environment. I basically agree with Mike Gundy, the coaches are fair game, but the fans and the media should go easy on the players.

*Not sure how this philosophy might change when the NIL thing gets into full swing, if at all.
Last edited by Phalanx on Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

OfaFeather wrote:I know that this isn’t related to the ducks, but dang did anyone watch the T&AM and Bama game…this is a wild year, i though Bama would roll through everyone except UGA was gonna be competitive. If you think we are upset about losing, you have to wonder what their fan base is doing right now.
A&M to Bama is what Stanford to Oregon is.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

OfaFeather wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:

The blind faith in a QB who retains a QB rating at 60.2 (60th in the NCAA) is confusing. The fact that TT, Butters or Ash are not getting meaningful snaps with the 1’s may be the reason that they are not developing. You can’t expect new players to shine and get better if they are not get the emphasis of the coaching. It almost seems like there is a concerted effort to make the system work with AB and not even give some emphasis to the backups to see if they could be anything better. And when you say that each practice is a competition seems almost contrary to what actually happening.
But not all of this is on him. The OL is bad at pass protection and that trickles into his numbers as well. How can you say the OL is even serviceable if you give up back to back sacks to an FCS team??? TT will have to stand behind that porous OL too if he starts. There's no disputing that he played a bad game at Stanford. It seems like a pattern where he can't make the deep throw. But outside of this 1 bad game and inability to connect deep (possibly due to lack of time in pocket), I think it's a little aggressive to ask for a QB change after 1 noticeably bad game.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I wonder if Cardwell is the RB to split reps with Dye. I know Dye is going to start but part of me would like to see Dye stay in his RB1b role and let Cardwell take those RB1a reps.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
EncinitasDuck wrote:I hear you O4L, we all want to see the long ball to JJIII or Pitman or {insert name here} but if you're a coach you go with what's working and the running game was working. Let's not forget the horrible INT that AB threw in the first half. If you're a coach and you see that, then see 4+ YPC in the running game, I think you kind of have to stay with what's getting you down the field. I'm not saying abandon the pass game all together because I love the swing pass out to Verdell or short throws to our speed guys (Redd, McGee) in space s much as anyone. And at this point I'm firmly in the abandon AB and move to TT/JB and let's see what they have. If neither shows they're the guy for the future I'd like to know that now so coaches know they need to keep looking for QB1 for next year
I agree 100%, it really can’t get much worse than Brown at this point and if TT or Butterfield is the guy for the future I certainly don’t want their first start to be at Georgia next season. Granted Georgia is losing like their entire front seven but it’s still Georgia, they’ll reload a lot and they always have a scary defense. I also at this point think it’s time to sit Brown. I’ve said it before, the long-term benefits of starting Ty greatly outweigh the short term risks.
It can get a lot worse than AB. Saw a ranking all all FBS quarterbacks that had him 46th of 130.

I think PFF has him somewhere around 130.