Kingsley Suamataia entering the transfer portal

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

thatbpguy
Four Star Recruit

Re: Kingsley Suamataia entering the transfer portal

Post by thatbpguy »

StevensTechU wrote:2018
Penei Sewell - Fringe-5*. All-everything. Was ready to go on Day 1.
Steven Jones - 4*. Still around. Been ok but hasn't really developed.
Dawson Jaramillo - 4*. Same comments as Jones.
Chris Randazzo - 3*. Never made any impact. Retired.
Justin Johnson - 3*. Medically retired.

Jonah Tauanu'u - Fringe 5*. No impact. Medically retired.
Sala Aumavae-Laulu - 4*. Rotated as a starter. Solid development.
Logan Sagapolu - High 3*. Still around. No impact (yet).

Jonathan Denis - 4*. Still around. No impact (yet).
TJ Bass - High 3*. Solid starter. Arguably OL on the current team.
Jaylan Jeffers - 3*. Still around. No impact (yet).
Marcus Harper - 3*. Still around. No impact (yet).

Kingsley Suamataia - Fringe 5*. Played 11 snaps. Transferring.
Bram Walden - High 4*. Still around. No impact (yet).
Jackson Powers-Johnson - 4*. Showed up ready to go. Contributor as a true freshman.
Jonah Miller - 4*. Still around. No impact (yet).

High school:
Studs: 2 (i'm counting JPJ)
Contributors: 2
No Impact: 6
Flamed out: 4

JuCo:
Studs: 1
Contributors: 3
No Impact: 0
Flamed out: 0
Thanks for posting this. It takes some work.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

If true maybe it's best he pursued other options. Casting no aspersions here just thinking about team culture and chemistry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

Regarding Greatwood, Pellum, Neal, Campbell, etc., maybe we forget the incredible amount of continuity we had on staff? That just doesn’t happen in high-level sports. Anywhere. We had some rough spots in the mid 2000’s, but these coaches had infinite time to gel, learn, and build. How many years in a row from 2006-2015 did ESPN project we’d return to earth, that we had our fun, and Nike U was destined for a return to irrelevance?
That a decade later, we are debating whether our current OL is better than the best of Greatwood’s crews is amazing. Maybe a topic for another thread, but has any other non-blue blood ever had a sustained run like this?
This is how I cope with bad news… super bummed about losing Kingsley. But our bumbling bunch of OL currently have us viewed as the class of the p12.

DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

StevensTechU wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:For the 20 and 21 guys it’s too early to say.

OL typically don’t play their first 2-3 years. Penei was a total anomaly and aberration.
I 80% agree. haha. 50% don't, while 20% do and 30% never play, more or less. Penei was an anomaly, but Tyler Johnstone, Jake Fisher, Calvin Throckmorton, Shane Lemieux, Jake Hanson, etc. are not (all started by 2nd year).

If you slice it in various ways, it's still bad. Penei was great, but you can't build a great OL by getting 1 Outland trophy winner, 1 decent player, and 2 guys who never see the field (2018 class). Tack on the next class, which is really only Jonah, and you're no closer to having a starting 5 using players from the HS ranks.

With the slop at the tackle spots that we have, there should be someone from the 2018-2020 classes who is better than George Moore (not good), Steven Jones (wildly inconsistent), and Sala (a guard playing tackle). We're now in a position where we hope that a true freshman can come in and play LT next year. Yikes!
Actually, if every year we recruited an Outland winner, and a decent player, that would make for an amazing starting o-line! Nobody get hurt! :lol: :lol:
Obviously I understand that wasn’t your whole point. I just couldn’t stop imagining the possibility of having 4 out of 5 starters be Outland winners. A kid can dream, right?
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

There have been some highly touted OL who lived up to the billing (Sewell, Fisher, Kyle Long, Tyrell Crosby to name a few), but, in general, it feels like the majority of Oregon's productive OL are 2-3* who develop over the years within the program.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Props to Stu for getting the chart together.

I have the same issue: if you take a look at the list of recruits and the ones who were busts (by definition a bust is a non-contributor even if they medically retire or succeed after transferring) versus the ones who are contributing it looks surprising.

I think we have an above average OL, but above average doesn’t cut it when you have a HC who makes that his pride and joy. Mirabal just received a hefty raise in his new contract. This is Cristobal’s fifth year at Oregon and Penei and Steven Jones are the only non-Helf recruit, non JuCo, non walk-on recruits to start a game.

Plenty of time for guys to contribute. Jonathan Denis, Sagapolu, Walden, Jeffers, etc are all young and have time. Results to date have not been too impressive indivisbut as a whole it’s been decent.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

It seems to me that recruits these days want to play immediately and transfer if that does not happen. They forget or dismiss earning their spot on the line by working their asses off. I have no idea if that is true in this case.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

rockthief wrote:It seems to me that recruits these days want to play immediately and transfer if that does not happen. They forget or dismiss earning their spot on the line by working their asses off. I have no idea if that is true in this case.
I think there's blame that goes both ways. Oregon's sales pitch to Kingsley is that he could be just like Penei Sewell, who started as a freshman and won an Outland Trophy as a sophomore. I don't think Kingsley is in the right by taking his ball and going home, but the Oregon staff also contributed to his expectations.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

rockthief wrote:It seems to me that recruits these days want to play immediately and transfer if that does not happen. They forget or dismiss earning their spot on the line by working their asses off. I have no idea if that is true in this case.
Based on what is being said about this situation it appears this is the case here. I have no specific inside info but some are saying he expected to be starting now that his is healthy and did not feel he should have to compete for playing time.

lmduck

Post by lmduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
I think there's blame that goes both ways. Oregon's sales pitch to Kingsley is that he could be just like Penei Sewell, who started as a freshman and won an Outland Trophy as a sophomore. I don't think Kingsley is in the right by taking his ball and going home, but the Oregon staff also contributed to his expectations.
I would be shocked if the coaches in any way implied, inferred or told KS that he would be a starter without competing. We never know exactly what is said but that would be pretty surprising to say the least.

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

lmduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
I would be shocked if the coaches in any way implied, inferred or told KS that he would be a starter without competing. We never know exactly what is said but that would be pretty *STOOPID* to say the least.

FIFW
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

lmduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
I would be shocked if the coaches in any way implied, inferred or told KS that he would be a starter without competing. We never know exactly what is said but that would be pretty surprising to say the least.

I can tell you that Bellotti specifically would lie/embellish a recruits role on the team. Is that a big deal really, no. It's a coach giving a best case scenario but implying that's the intended plan to them. For other coaches to do the same isn't surprising at all, it's the nature of recruiting.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Same. Telling a kid he could be the next Sewell isn't the same as saying "you can show up and start without earning it first."
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

pezsez1 wrote:
Same. Telling a kid he could be the next Sewell isn't the same as saying "you can show up and start without earning it first."
Sewell earned it well and good. If any player comes in and works as hard with his talent he has the same oppernutity. If he takes it is his choice