Kingsley Suamataia entering the transfer portal

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Kingsley Suamataia entering the transfer portal

Post by lukeyrid13 »

OrTDuck wrote:I think I picked up recruiting seriously about 1998, that is going back what, 23 years? The amount of kids who have committed to the program, left, and turned into players the program regrets leaving? It is just very small.

A few guys have done ok; bit, that isn't something you kill yourself over.

Odds are this will follow the place of 19 out of 20 kids. And that 1 time in 20? It ends up being not so bad. KS may (finally be the exception), but odds overwhelmingly suggest, this is not Cam Newton (a name for some context night be a comparison), it won't be something similar, good luck to KS, Oregon will move on.
I think he could turn out similar to Lache Seastrunk. Transferred quickly and came close to his 5 star status by the end of his career.
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

I was trying to come up with some names over the years (and I'm probably forgetting someone), I couldn't come up with too many. Maybe:

Paris Warren
Michael Rivera
Tra Carson
Jackie Bates
Chance Allen

And it could be argued, while finding success elsewhere, some of these names (if they stayed) might not have played ahead of guys at Oregon (in front of them).

Also guys like Seastrunk and Carrington (but it could possibly be argued those were situations where guys moved on once it was determined there was no way they were gonna play at Oregon again).

Some other guys I can recall doing something elsewhere:

Brian Bennett
Aaron Pflugrad
Braxton Burmeister
Terry Wilson
Thomas Tyner
AJ Hotchkins
Tyler Shough
Devon Blackmon
Kirk Merritt
Valentino Daltoso
ISM
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Chris Harper. KState and then got drafted.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Chris Harper. KState and then got drafted.

He’s one of the few 3rd rounders I’ve seen get cut in the pre season.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Jackie Bates transferred?

He started and played his first few years here but then did he get kicked off the team for breaking a bottle over someone's head? Where did he end up going.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Had an "Oh duh!" moment. Jeremiah Masoli. Played on a total crap Ole Miss team but made them interesting, and has been in the MVP conversation basically every year in the CFL.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

That TE Rivera I think? Went to Tennessee and was all butt hurt about his time at UO, but had a nice career out there then played for the Raiders a couple years.

I don’t know that I would classify Braxton or TS as doing something at their schools. BB averages like 140 yards a game, and Shough was getting benched before getting hurt. Both are who they are, quality backups who you don’t want to roll with all year. Both could have careers just like Bennett if they dropped down to the same level Bryan played at.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I think Bates went to Towson before having a cup of coffee with the Chiefs.

Levi Horne had a cup with the Bears too. That one was the most surprising as he was same class as "King" Bramow.
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

Oh man, Chris Harper was a big omit; and, Masoli for sure fits in the sub-category of guys like Seastrunk and Carrington (who left because they went not gonna realistically play anymore at Oregon).

Had to Wiki to find Jackie Bates went to FCS Hampton (which had been pretty good at that level I guess in the years prior to his transfer). If memory serves, at least at the time (if not still today) one could transfer down to the FCS and not sit out a year. He got a medical redshirt for his 3rd year at Oregon, so had two years left, I guess had 50 tackles and 2 picks in 10 games as a junior, missed a bunch of his senior year and NFL pre-draft stuff, got a FA deal with KC, bounced around the practice squad, eventually playing in 2 NFL games.

Agree there isn't really an identifiable standard to "doing something" after leaving Oregon, and guys like Shough and Burmeister I threw in I guess because they did go on to start games for P5 schools.

I think Chip wanted Rivera to convert to the OL and that didn't appeal to him. He had a pretty good run at Tennessee, but maybe not exactly a Chip style TE. The only one that really looks to me like a guy who might have helped was Parris Warren in 2003-2004, who went on to have 156 catches, 16 TDs, and almost 2,000 receiving yards for Urban at Utah (the Ducks were 13-11 those two year and recollection is they weren't exactly tearing it up on offense - outside the top 50 both years in PPG).