Transfer Portal - '21-22

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Transfer Portal - '21-22

Post by Duck07 »

With it very likely that we're running a mobile QB as part of our Offense, I think we need to expect Butterfield to transfer out with after the Bowl game or the Spring Game leaving us Thompson and Ashford.

247 shows Tanner Bailey as having been recruited by Dillingham so its quite possible he would stick with his commitment too.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

StevensTechU wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:I’ll say this about QBs, a change of scenery (the scene being the coaching and tools around you) makes a world of difference for some guys. Hendon Hooker wasn’t bad at Virginia Tech. I don’t know what happened but he Lost his job to Braxton Burmeister.

This year at Tennessee? Lights out good on a team that lost a ton of guys to transfers from the McDonalds bag scandal. 26 TDs and 3 INTs, plus 560 rushing and 5 TDs with a QB rating that is Mariota-like. If Moorhead and Co took a chance on him then we’d be in a very different position now.
You know what name I feel almost dumb saying out loud but a part of me is very intrigued by? Jack Sears. After transferring from USC, where he played some as a freshman, to Boise, he's hitting the portal with a year remaining. Looking at his career stats, they're actually pretty good (like 70% completion, and it's not because he doesn't throw deep because he does). Rewatched his high school stuff and what I could find of him in college, and he's just all around solid. Won't win a Heisman, but I'd say if you'd be happy with Cam Rising then Sears looks pretty good. At Boise, got stuck behind the 'franchise player' in Bachmeier.
I was skeptical, because Bachmeier sucks. But it looks like the one game Sears started (2020 vs Air Force) he was perfect. I’m intrigued.

Cameron Ward from Incarnate Word, that’s my intriguing QB pick. Wazzu just hired his offensive coordinator. To those asking who/what, FCS school and it’s a volume passing offense he’s in where 600 yards and 7 TDs is a thing that exists in one game. It would take Anthony Brown 60 throws just to throw the ball 600 yards with no defense, just physically get it to move 600 yards. Anyway, kid is mobile but it’s mostly just great arm talent.

Bo Nix, who is like Anthony Brown but with a better arm, is probably reuniting with Gus but there’s a Dillingham connection. If JoeMo wants to do us a solid he can at least let us see Thompson and Ashford. No reason to risk Anthony Brown’s NFL future in a meaningless bowl game.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Casey Thompson is officially in the portal. If Oregon gets him, we're favorites to win the Pac12. If Oregon gets him and shores up tackle and corner, we're a playoff team/Natty contender.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

StevensTechU wrote:Casey Thompson is officially in the portal. If Oregon gets him, we're favorites to win the Pac12. If Oregon gets him and shores up tackle and corner, we're a playoff team/Natty contender.
I'd be down for him showing up to Oregon.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Is he considering UO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

lmduck wrote:Is he considering UO?

We’re considering it for him :lol:
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

lmduck wrote:Is he considering UO?

We better
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

Well, it's Bo Nix.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

We'll now have to listen to years more of hearing Oregon fans say we shouldn't take transfer quarterbacks, when the reality is we just took a trash transfer.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

GoDucksTroll wrote:I’ll say this about QBs, a change of scenery (the scene being the coaching and tools around you) makes a world of difference for some guys. Hendon Hooker wasn’t bad at Virginia Tech. I don’t know what happened but he Lost his job to Braxton Burmeister.

This year at Tennessee? Lights out good on a team that lost a ton of guys to transfers from the McDonalds bag scandal. 26 TDs and 3 INTs, plus 560 rushing and 5 TDs with a QB rating that is Mariota-like. If Moorhead and Co took a chance on him then we’d be in a very different position now.
I think so folks need to pump the brakes bashing Nix. As you pointed out a change of scenery sometimes does wonders. Reunited with Dilly and our skill position players and a pretty good O-line? I say give him a chance. I mean Anthony frigging brown got us to 10 wins and I’d trade Brown for Nix all day!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:

You know what name I feel almost dumb saying out loud but a part of me is very intrigued by? Jack Sears. After transferring from USC, where he played some as a freshman, to Boise, he's hitting the portal with a year remaining. Looking at his career stats, they're actually pretty good (like 70% completion, and it's not because he doesn't throw deep because he does). Rewatched his high school stuff and what I could find of him in college, and he's just all around solid. Won't win a Heisman, but I'd say if you'd be happy with Cam Rising then Sears looks pretty good. At Boise, got stuck behind the 'franchise player' in Bachmeier.
I was skeptical, because Bachmeier sucks. But it looks like the one game Sears started (2020 vs Air Force) he was perfect. I’m intrigued.

Cameron Ward from Incarnate Word, that’s my intriguing QB pick. Wazzu just hired his offensive coordinator. To those asking who/what, FCS school and it’s a volume passing offense he’s in where 600 yards and 7 TDs is a thing that exists in one game. It would take Anthony Brown 60 throws just to throw the ball 600 yards with no defense, just physically get it to move 600 yards. Anyway, kid is mobile but it’s mostly just great arm talent.

Bo Nix, who is like Anthony Brown but with a better arm, is probably reuniting with Gus but there’s a Dillingham connection. If JoeMo wants to do us a solid he can at least let us see Thompson and Ashford. No reason to risk Anthony Brown’s NFL future in a meaningless bowl game.
I claim partial credit, and I’ll say this for Bo Nix: he’s won more SEC games than any other QB on the roster.

Watch him have a senior year breakout. Nix does have two years eligibility. We get Anthony Brown v2.0 so program continuity.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon really should have found a transfer QB who could throw the ball instead of another one that's basically a wildcat RB playing QB.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

greenyellow wrote:Oregon really should have found a transfer QB who could throw the ball instead of another one that's basically a wildcat RB playing QB.
Really seems like under Dillingham we're going to run the QB and show the option as part of the run game to make the defense have to account for it with defenders and weekly game prep.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

This was "liked" by Dillingham.
Who is ready to see Pittman return in the portal?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

But is he ready for another QB who can't throw?