Transfer Portal - '21-22

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Transfer Portal - '21-22

Post by greenyellow »

Colorado has now lost their leading rusher to the transfer portal.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

StevensTechU wrote:I really don't care that much if a reliable backup (Butterfield), a project (Thompson - blasphemy, I know), or Bo were to transfer. None of them are getting Oregon a Natty, and isn't that what we're playing for? Plus, if none of those guys takes massive leap forward, the next transfers are gonna be named Thornton, Franklin, etc...
Does Stetson Bennett seem like the type of QB who could win a natty? He’s 6 foot even and was the 166th ranked JuCo (6th QB) recruit. Maybe an unfair example since Georgia has 19 5-stars and 47 4-stars on their roster. But every team that wins the title will be very talented. Since it’s unlikely Oregon could recruit at that extreme of a level then we do need a more dynamic offense with a better QB - but cycling through transfer QBs until you find the perfect one?

QB is a crapshoot, some guys are all world in practice and then useless in games. Likewise, none of us expected Justin Herbert to be *this* good in the NFL let alone this early. We all knew he had the talent, but it was t just the staff and offensive philosophy holding him back; he made stupid choices and had processing miscues that still show up sometimes.

TLDR: I don’t care who transfers either, but let Bo or Ty get some game run. We won’t know who they are until we do. Maybe they’re good enough to be a natty QB.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Supposedly the only guy who was gonna go to Texas because of Mehringer (before switching back to SC when Mehringer left), so I've gotta think he's coming to Oregon.
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

Between the portal circus and the coaching shell game, and the NIL, things are getting a bit wacky in CFB. I hope they get some parameters around all of it. This is getting out of hand, good Lord there are over 1,300 players in the portal. If the coaches can bail then players can, I think this all needs resolution but I have no idea what the appropriate fix is. I also am pro NIL but I'd like to see caps on them as well coaching salaries potentially.
It just feels like this all has potential to brew into a storm of messiness that forever changes CFB and not for the better.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

mrpd21 wrote:Between the portal circus and the coaching shell game, and the NIL, things are getting a bit wacky in CFB. I hope they get some parameters around all of it. This is getting out of hand, good Lord there are over 1,300 players in the portal. If the coaches can bail then players can, I think this all needs resolution but I have no idea what the appropriate fix is. I also am pro NIL but I'd like to see caps on them as well coaching salaries potentially.
It just feels like this all has potential to brew into a storm of messiness that forever changes CFB and not for the better.
Maybe hold the players to the same rules as the coaches then? Coaches have to pay a buy out. Now that players have the ability to make money, maybe make them pay a portion of their tuition if they want to transfer
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

squintsdd wrote:
mrpd21 wrote:Between the portal circus and the coaching shell game, and the NIL, things are getting a bit wacky in CFB. I hope they get some parameters around all of it. This is getting out of hand, good Lord there are over 1,300 players in the portal. If the coaches can bail then players can, I think this all needs resolution but I have no idea what the appropriate fix is. I also am pro NIL but I'd like to see caps on them as well coaching salaries potentially.
Maybe hold the players to the same rules as the coaches then? Coaches have to pay a buy out. Now that players have the ability to make money, maybe make them pay a portion of their tuition if they want to transfer
Coaches don't pay the buyout, their new school does. Interesting idea otherwise, though not sure I agree with it. And probably wouldn't fly in this era of player empowerment regardless.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Tray Dub wrote:
squintsdd wrote:
Coaches don't pay the buyout, their new school does. Interesting idea otherwise, though not sure I agree with it. And probably wouldn't fly in this era of player empowerment regardless.
I guess I kind of always thought that fell on the coaches shoulders, but it was a courtesy thing the new schools did. If a coach up a quits mid contract, there would be no school to pay for the buyout right?

The way I see it, if a player is getting a free ride and also given the opportunity to make a ton of money, then they can be empowered to pay back part of the tuition if they decide to leave.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

squintsdd wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:
squintsdd wrote:
I guess I kind of always thought that fell on the coaches shoulders, but it was a courtesy thing the new schools did. If a coach up a quits mid contract, there would be no school to pay for the buyout right?

The way I see it, if a player is getting a free ride and also given the opportunity to make a ton of money, then they can be empowered to pay back part of the tuition if they decide to leave.
I went and looked up a head coach contract (Gus Malzahn's at Auburn), and you're right that they are technically personally liable. But I've never heard of it working out like that, and I doubt it would for players either.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I’ve been pro athlete compensation and pro improved transfer rules for a long time - obvious things to me. But I’m of the opinion that this is starting to become the NFL with marching bands. I think a lot of people in the sport have forgotten that we cheer for a school we went to, that we have a connection to and not a minor league team.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:I really don't care that much if a reliable backup (Butterfield), a project (Thompson - blasphemy, I know), or Bo were to transfer. None of them are getting Oregon a Natty, and isn't that what we're playing for? Plus, if none of those guys takes massive leap forward, the next transfers are gonna be named Thornton, Franklin, etc...
Does Stetson Bennett seem like the type of QB who could win a natty? He’s 6 foot even and was the 166th ranked JuCo (6th QB) recruit. Maybe an unfair example since Georgia has 19 5-stars and 47 4-stars on their roster. But every team that wins the title will be very talented. Since it’s unlikely Oregon could recruit at that extreme of a level then we do need a more dynamic offense with a better QB - but cycling through transfer QBs until you find the perfect one?

QB is a crapshoot, some guys are all world in practice and then useless in games. Likewise, none of us expected Justin Herbert to be *this* good in the NFL let alone this early. We all knew he had the talent, but it was t just the staff and offensive philosophy holding him back; he made stupid choices and had processing miscues that still show up sometimes.

TLDR: I don’t care who transfers either, but let Bo or Ty get some game run. We won’t know who they are until we do. Maybe they’re good enough to be a natty QB.
I don't buy into the narrative of Butterfield and Ty Thompson being worse than Brown just because the coach was more comfortable with Brown. I still think Ty Thompson could be our Bryce Young but I also believe that Syndney Parrish is our Hailey Van Lith.

It's funny I said that I couldn't imagine Brown leading Oregon to a Pac 12 title at the beginning of the year and he actually came pretty close. I could imagine Ty Thompson leading Oregon to a championship. I could even see a situation where Butterfield becomes a Stenson Bennett type player and lead Oregon to the title.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

somebody mentioned about a rumor of looking at another qb transfer, any rumor to who it is?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
Does Stetson Bennett seem like the type of QB who could win a natty? He’s 6 foot even and was the 166th ranked JuCo (6th QB) recruit. Maybe an unfair example since Georgia has 19 5-stars and 47 4-stars on their roster. But every team that wins the title will be very talented. Since it’s unlikely Oregon could recruit at that extreme of a level then we do need a more dynamic offense with a better QB - but cycling through transfer QBs until you find .
"Let me make a point and then tell you why my point is not a good one..." Haha

QB recruiting isn't flawless, but it's not as hard as some make it out to be. One of the biggest flaws in the system is that players are recruited and rated based on what they do when they're 15-16, not 17-18. The second is the Trent Dilfer school of evaluation where you model in a t-shirt and shorts and throw to static targets tells you as much about football as long range competitions tell you about golfing ability.

Anyway, we can and should do better than what's on the roster now. If we don't, we underperform and it gets harder to recruit the next guy.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

GoDucksTroll wrote:I’ve been pro athlete compensation and pro improved transfer rules for a long time - obvious things to me. But I’m of the opinion that this is starting to become the NFL with marching bands. I think a lot of people in the sport have forgotten that we cheer for a school we went to, that we have a connection to and not a minor league team.
Yes this has become craziness, as least to me. How do coaches wade through the list of available players? Times have changed.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

StevensTechU wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:
Does Stetson Bennett seem like the type of QB who could win a natty? He’s 6 foot even and was the 166th ranked JuCo (6th QB) recruit. Maybe an unfair example since Georgia has 19 5-stars and 47 4-stars on their roster. But every team that wins the title will be very talented. Since it’s unlikely Oregon could recruit at that extreme of a level then we do need a more dynamic offense with a better QB - but cycling through transfer QBs until you find .
"Let me make a point and then tell you why my point is not a good one..." Haha

QB recruiting isn't flawless, but it's not as hard as some make it out to be. One of the biggest flaws in the system is that players are recruited and rated based on what they do when they're 15-16, not 17-18. The second is the Trent Dilfer school of evaluation where you model in a t-shirt and shorts and throw to static targets tells you as much about football as long range competitions tell you about golfing ability.

Anyway, we can and should do better than what's on the roster now. If we don't, we underperform and it gets harder to recruit the next guy.
I was preemptively saying I understand Bennett is on a super talented team, but the point still stands - he took over for All World JT Daniels who hasn’t looked bad and his steadiness got a natty.

I agree too much is put forth for the underwear Olympics and the kids being ranked as freshmen, but they do adjust. 247 has Drew Allar as the top QB and 3rd overall. At the start of his junior season he was ranked 620th. Devin Brown is another guy who skyrocketed. I think the wave of smaller QBs is an interesting development as well. I wanted Noah Fifita - 5’10” 170 but includes a live arm and a feel for the game.

As for whether we have a championship QB, my whole point is we don’t know because they haven’t played for Oregon, for this new staff - QBs don’t come in an win a title in their first year out of high school, besides Trevor Lawrence - and even the top rated QB recruit of the last 15 years didn’t start the first third of the season. Let’s see some attempts at development before we throw our QB room in the trash heap.