Novak Djokovic

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

dthomas=ddixon

Re: Novak Djokovic

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

pezsez1 wrote:If anyone ever needs a bunch of sound bites taken out of context and overlayed with right-wing messaging, that's how it's done! ;)
That is the exact narrative used to upend our country
No, it wasn't. That was the narrative pushed by right-wing politicians & their media in order to keep their gullible followers in line with Donald Trump's unfathomable stupidity.
More meaningless platitudes.

Labeling direct quotes and emails from Fauci as right-wing messaging is just silly.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

pezsez1 wrote:If anyone ever needs a bunch of sound bites taken out of context and overlayed with right-wing messaging, that's how it's done! ;)
I'm the only one who posted video and none of those are "sound bites" nor are they taken out of context because it's their uninterrupted words.

But continue to say that we're the ones who are obfuscating the issue even though things like this exist.
April 30, 2020
Oregon’s Plan to Stop the Spread of COVID-19

https://sharedsystems.dhsoha.state.or.u ... le2347.pdf

and more from the Governor and various state unions
The statewide teachers union, the Oregon Education Association, issued a statement in support of the plan.

“OEA believes that today’s vaccine requirement will help provide stability for our students this fall and will help improve safety in our schools,” OEA president Reed Scott-Schwalbach said in a statement. “The science is clear. Vaccines, coupled with other proven public health mitigation strategies, are the best way to ensure our schools stay open and are a safe place for students to learn and for educators to teach.”

The state’s largest nurses union warned in a statement that the governor’s mandate is likely to result in a boost in vaccination rates, but also will prompt some health care workers to leave the profession because they are “deeply opposed to vaccine mandates.”

The Oregon Nurses Association said the vaccination requirement will “put additional pressure on an already dangerous nurse staffing crisis in Oregon.”

The ONA, while encouraging nurses and hospital staff to get vaccinated, has long stood against mandatory vaccinations. The ONA “opposes requiring influenza vaccinations of nurses and other health care workers as a condition of employment,” reads an ONA statement on influenza vaccinations.
https://www.opb.org/article/2021/08/19/ ... in-oregon/

Weird that the nurses, the ones with working knowledge, oppose what the teachers and government wanted. Congress recently voted down letting unvaxxed pilots back to work even though there is a lack of qualified pilots so the industry is reducing the qualifications. Makes sense for a society that focuses on knowledge and truth.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Nowhere in those quotes you just posted did anyone say the vaccine would stop COVID "dead in its tracks."

Health officials never claimed that. Only right-wing politicians & pundits who were trying to take health experts out of context in order to discredit them said that.

I have no desire to go back-and-forth over this with people who are clearly stuck in three-year-old talking points (which seems to be most people in this community), but you can still dislike COVID-era safety measures without buying into that BS narrative.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

One thing I’ve learned from this thread: Dr. Fauci is not a health official.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news ... cb650ea208
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

pezsez1 wrote:Nowhere in those quotes you just posted did anyone say the vaccine would stop COVID "dead in its tracks."

Health officials never claimed that. Only right-wing politicians & pundits who were trying to take health experts out of context in order to discredit them said that.

I have no desire to go back-and-forth over this with people who are clearly stuck in three-year-old talking points (which seems to be most people in this community), but you can still dislike COVID-era safety measures without buying into that BS narrative.
Since the new goalpost is "dead in its tracks" I present you Dr Fauci, via CNN on 7/24/2020

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news ... cb650ea208
Consistent public health measures can control the coronavirus pandemic, but a good vaccine “could really stop it dead in its tracks,” Dr. Anthony Fauci said on Fox’s America’s Newsroom Friday.

“If we can do the kind of public health measures to keep the viral outbreak at a very low baseline level, I don’t think we are going to eradicate it, I think it’s just so easily transmissible that I don’t think that that could happen, but we certainly could control it better than we’re doing,” Fauci said.

“And if we can do that at the global level, when we get a vaccine I think we could really stop it dead in its tracks.

Fauci said that he is cautiously optimistic that a vaccine will be available in a reasonable time — “likely by the end of this year or the beginning of 2021.”
Here's another variation of with "dead end" on 5/21/2021
“When you get vaccinated, you not only protect your own health and that of the family but also you contribute to the community health by preventing the spread of the virus throughout the community,” Fauci said. “In other words, you become a dead end to the virus. And when there are a lot of dead ends around, the virus is not going to go anywhere. And that’s when you get a point that you have a markedly diminished rate of infection in the community.”
But sure, tell us again how those public officials didn't make those statements that were completely wrong in hindsight.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

He was talking about the pandemic and its impacts, not literally killing all of COVID. Health officials said from the very beginning that COVID was likely here to stay for a variety of reasons.

Also, I'm not the one who moved the goal posts re: "vaccines were meant to stop COVID dead in its tracks." I would have never insinuated such nonsense.
Autzenoise
Five Star Recruit

Post by Autzenoise »

Sometimes I count my blessings that I argued with idiots enough in my younger years that I leave them well enough alone now.
"Canzano is to sports, what Jerry Springer is to news…"
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Semantics, Pez. I was being slightly hyperbolic, and only meant that the vaccine was supposed to stop the spread of COVID. Which everyone else in this thread managed to grasp.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Semantics, Pez. I was being slightly hyperbolic, and only meant that the vaccine was supposed to stop the spread of COVID. Which everyone else in this thread managed to grasp.
Appreciate you backing off from the rhetoric, but health officials also did not promise that vaccines would stop the spread of COVID (which would be the same as saying "stopping it in its tracks").

It was believed that vaccines would slow the spread of COVID and alleviate the rate of death and severe illness which threatened to overburden our healthcare system. That's what health officials said.

Ultimately, they were correct on both fronts. Vaccines did prevent (not completely stop) transmission until later variants emerged, and even during later variants it greatly diminished the rates of death and severe illness.

I think we can all agree that I watched and read far more interviews with the health officials most often criticized by people in this right-leaning football community, and I'm telling you right now that this characterization you have of these health officials is just plain wrong.

You can STILL dislike what was done during COVID. Hindsight being 20/20, there are intelligent discussions to be had about what worked, what didn't, and what we should do if this ever happens again -- and "both sides" should be able to admit a few things they were royally wrong about.

The overall messaging from health officials about the usefulness of vaccines is not one of those things we need to revisit.

Now, if you want to talk about the morality of promoting "two weeks to flatten the curve" when most of the medical/scientific community knew that was pie-in-the-sky BS, that's another story.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

In context, tons of people lost entire livelihoods, were deported from countries (Djokovic), and were denied life-saving medical attention because they were putting the entire world at risk by not getting an experimental vaccine that slightly reduced the level of transmission, and only for a short period of time.

Gotcha.

Insanity, immoral, and *insert whatever strong word*. If I remember correctly, wasn't it pez who stated that people who didn't get vaccinated deserved to die? You all are arguing with the wind.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I clearly disagree immensely with you on the premise that vaccines cost lives rather than saved them (if that is, in fact, what you're asserting) but I have no interest in arguing that further.

My only point in responding today was setting the record straight on the medical/scientific community's messaging, which isn't really up for debate.

Also, perhaps you'll be pleased to know that if I ever did bluntly say that the unvaccinated deserved to die (I think I probably said they had it coming, which, to me, is semantically different), as of today I don't think most of them deserved such an awful fate.
dd10snoop28
Senior

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Throwback Monday:

September 2020:
"We could crush COVID in a matter of weeks (without a vaccine!) if our government invested heavily in these [rapid] tests. This could start happening RIGHT NOW and we could all be enjoying Duck football by October."

"With widespread rapid testing and tracing, everyone could go about their lives with no fear of the virus. Outbreaks would be quickly identified and contained. Infection rates would plummet. We could mostly go back to our normal lives without even needing a vaccine."

"There's no way I'd rush to get a vaccine that's rushed to approval by the Trump administration (especially right before an election)."

March 2021:
"I'm excited to get back in Autzen Stadium for a game, but there's no way I'll go back if we haven't achieved herd immunity."
"I'm incredibly excited about hosting game day BBQs with vaccinated friends and family and no freaking masks......I have a lot of resentment toward people who are resistant to being part of the solution. "
"Your immune system will likely not be able to keep up with numerous variants of COVID that will move through the population in coming years if we don't achieve real herd immunity. Vaccines designed to guard against a massive range of variants will."
"I always think back to how the massive social justice protests turned out to NOT be super-spreader events mostly because everyone was outside and wearing masks."
"We'll always have anti-vaxers, so we'll always have COVID."
"so what happens like five or 10 years down the road as more people neglect vaccinations and variants continue to circulate? Could especially red/rural communities become ongoing hotbeds of COVID outbreaks and deaths? Will church attendance suffer?"
dd10snoop28
Senior

Post by dd10snoop28 »

pezsez1 wrote:I clearly disagree immensely with you on the premise that vaccines cost lives rather than saved them (if that is, in fact, what you're asserting) but I have no interest in arguing that further.
Straw man. Creating an argument that hasn't been presented in this thread in order to try to bolster your own.
My only point in responding today was setting the record straight on the medical/scientific community's messaging, which isn't really up for debate.
You have a mountain of direct quotes to overcome in order to "set the record straight". It's not really up for debate. And of course, you didn't address any of the actual direct quotes (except in one instance).
Also, perhaps you'll be pleased to know that if I ever did bluntly say that the unvaccinated deserved to die (I think I probably said they had it coming, which, to me, is semantically different), as of today I don't think most of them deserved such an awful fate.
Not sure why I should be pleased about that. The fact that you ever held such a position is demonstration of a lack of conviction of values in the face of public coercion (i.e. you bought the false narrative that it was the unvaccinated that were causing the deaths in America). The Rolovich's and Djokovic's, on the other hand, held true to their convictions in the face demonization and threats. There is a chasm of a difference.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

"We'll always have anti-vaxers, so we'll always have COVID."
That's the only incorrect thing I said. Otherwise, my past comments aged extremely well! Not bad for commenting on an all-new virus and the first massive pandemic of our lifetime. Thank you for displaying how correct I was. :)
You have a mountain of direct quotes to overcome in order to "set the record straight".
And no, I'm under ZERO obligation to "correct" a mountain of out-of-context soundbites so that y'all can peacefully get back to your little circle-jerk. Just pretend I'm not here and get on with it. :lol:
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/statu ... _&ref_url=

But there is no correlation to the uptick by 200% in cardiac arrest in athletic men and boys under 25 since the “vaccine”.