Oregon scholarship count

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Oregon scholarship count

Post by greenyellow »

With the addition of K Andrew Boyle, Oregon is now at 81 scholarships. Certainly feels like the must takes to fill those remaining spots are Florence, James, Cota or Boardingham, Miller, and maybe Winston.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Ducks now at 82 scholarships with the addition of Nebraska DL Jordon Riley. Certainly seems the coaches will be taking over 85 scholarship players entering spring practices with the expectation that at least a couple more transfers occur.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

greenyellow wrote:Ducks now at 82 scholarships with the addition of Nebraska DL Jordon Riley. Certainly seems the coaches will be taking over 85 scholarship players entering spring practices with the expectation that at least a couple more transfers occur.
DL and Kicker weren't exactly spots where we needed more depth, so those are very.. interesting ... pickups.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon now at 83 scholarships with Florence's commitment.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Oregon didn't make the top 5 for Christen Miller. I'm more confused than ever for the staff supposedly giving the cold shoulder to 4* Gracen Halton.
Vanducky
One Star Recruit

Post by Vanducky »

StevensTechU wrote:Oregon didn't make the top 5 for Christen Miller. I'm more confused than ever for the staff supposedly giving the cold shoulder to 4* Gracen Halton.
And the spot used on Riley. The idea of passing on Halton doesn't add up and is starting to smell of "we didn't want him anyway."
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I disagree. First of all, we didn't see the same effort to keep Halton that we saw with Florence, for instance. Where are the tweets thanking the coaches for visiting at midnight? Secondly, if they were trying to preserve that scholarship for a player fitting their scheme better, it would make sense to take a one-year grad transfer, while bringing in DL recruits from the 2023 class. Guess what? That is exactly what is happening. Some seriously highly-rated DL recruits from next year's class have been visiting in recent weeks.

Riley is just a place-holder that adds some veteran depth for a year. It's better than not using the scholarship for a year.
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

Phalanx wrote:I disagree. First of all, we didn't see the same effort to keep Halton that we saw with Florence, for instance. Where are the tweets thanking the coaches for visiting at midnight? Secondly, if they were trying to preserve that scholarship for a player fitting their scheme better, it would make sense to take a one-year grad transfer, while bringing in DL recruits from the 2023 class. Guess what? That is exactly what is happening. Some seriously highly-rated DL recruits from next year's class have been visiting in recent weeks.

Riley is just a place-holder that adds some veteran depth for a year. It's better than not using the scholarship for a year.
This is my thinking as well. Riley and Halton are not the same and we can’t compare the two. Riley is several inches taller and has about 50 pounds on him. There is a reason why none of us are division one college coaches. They know better than we do about what the team needs and what the right choices are.
Vanducky
One Star Recruit

Post by Vanducky »

Phalanx wrote:Riley is just a place-holder that adds some veteran depth for a year. It's better than not using the scholarship for a year.
I hope you're right. I just can't help but think that if they'd held on to the scholarship until spring practices and roster shakeups across the country, they might have landed a portal DLineman for whom one year of eligibility remaining would be a bug, not the feature.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I keep hoping both him and the kicker are walking on or greyshirting or something, but probably no such luck. Anyway, I did read some Nebraska fans saying they kinda hated to see him go, just as he was starting to figure stuff out. Maybe he'll contribute more than we think.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phalanx wrote:I keep hoping both him and the kicker are walking on or greyshirting or something, but probably no such luck. Anyway, I did read some Nebraska fans saying they kinda hated to see him go, just as he was starting to figure stuff out. Maybe he'll contribute more than we think.
If he has a Ra'Shon Harris type Senior season it will be well-worth it.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

With Jordan James' commitment, Oregon now sits at 84 scholarships. With them likely getting both Winston and Iuli tonight, they'll be over the limit.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

WR and RB are very thin right now. Will be interesting to see what roster attrition we might see and who might come in as future transfers before the season.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Curious that Lanning in the presser said he couldn't speak about Riley and Boyle. Makes me wonder if something out of the ordinary is up with their scholarship situation, or if it is just because they haven't completed their transfer yet (maybe still in school this term?).

Or maybe, Lanning just doesn't want to answer Crepea's questions.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phalanx wrote:Curious that Lanning in the presser said he couldn't speak about Riley and Boyle. Makes me wonder if something out of the ordinary is up with their scholarship situation, or if it is just because they haven't completed their transfer yet (maybe still in school this term?).

Or maybe, Lanning just doesn't want to answer Crepea's questions.
They just hadn't been processed in yet. Boyle got an announcement later in the day so his paperwork is likely in. Riley's will likely be in shortly.