#3 Georgia vs #11 Oregon (Sept. 3, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: #3 Georgia vs #11 Oregon (Sept. 3, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Post by Duck07 »

pezsez1 wrote:What is Georgia's biggest advantage over Oregon in this game? Not talking star levels of recruits, but position vs. position?

Conversely, do we have any apparent advantage over Georgia?
Continuity for a team coming off a NC win (and showing that the Kirby Smart era is nothing like the Mark Richt era). The lack of which creates a high volatility with expectations for Oregon which is why Lanning has mentioned about not needing to reveal anything about the team per se whereas Georgia players know what to expect because they've all largely been through it. Playing (and practicing) at a high level are something we've seen correlate to success on the field.

I think expecting Kenny Dillingham to call a better game than Kirby Smart is a tough task even if Lanning knows the Smart Defense inside and out. Doesn't mean we can't play better, and I'm expecting a few trick plays here and there for fun and good measure.

QB could be an advantage for us but a steady Bennett may not have to do as much as Nix at a high end may need to do.

Brock Bowers at TE is going to be a nightmare but it could also serve as a great showing for our LB's with NFL days ahead of them. Bowers will draw attention from them when we wanting them attacking though.

RB as a group is likely a Push as are the WRs IF the Oregon Offense is in rhythm. Statistically you've got a lot of equal trade-off with a few guys for each team you're hoping make that jump.

OL on paper should be a Oregon advantage with all of the combined experience these guys have but Georgia has a solid RT in Warren McClendon and a Center in Sedrick Van Pran. Jalen Carter DL vs TJ Bass will be a fun battle as Carter is thought of as a 1st Rounder while Bass is trying to play his way up the draft board. I think our Interior OL is what can win us this game and our Tackles can lose it. Nolan Smith at Edge was 5th in Tackles last year and had 3.5 sacks. This can't be his break-out game on Defense.

DL is another unit that could be considered a Push. If you want to hype Dorlus you've got to do the same with Carter. Question I want to see answered is who else wants to stand out on the DL. Popo and KWH need to flash but we saw it early last year that Dorlus was a different kind of guy on the field.

LB is the unit I think we have the clear advantage with a healthy Flowe. Its got a ton of experience to go with the talent and we've got guys with experience backing them up.

DB group may not be as big of an advantage as we fear going into it, but Keelee Ringo will look to shut one half of the field down while Christopher Smith lurks on the outside on the other half of the field. Ringo and Christian Gonzalez perhaps cancel each other out from a "paper" stand-point but Kirby is likely to trust Ringo far more in this game than Lanning can/will with Gonzalez. From a reputation standpoint you'd say Nix won't be afraid of Ringo but our chances our going to come down to running the ball and getting into 3rd and make-ables consistently.

I think our hopes for a great season rest on how talented our Front 7 plays. I think the potential for a great unit is there but it has to be backed up by great schemes/game-plans and on not only rely on a talent advantage.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I hope we can somehow keep it close against the Bulldogs or maybe even upset them, if we do it, do we have a chance at the playoffs?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

DuckzRule wrote:I hope we can somehow keep it close against the Bulldogs or maybe even upset them, if we do it, do we have a chance at the playoffs?
It’s by far the toughest game of the schedule so you’d think they’d have a great chance of making the playoffs, but there are still a couple tough games and we can’t forget the biggest factor, PAC-12 refs, you never know when they’ll decide it’s time to take over a game like against Stanford last year.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

DuckzRule wrote:I hope we can somehow keep it close against the Bulldogs or maybe even upset them, if we do it, do we have a chance at the playoffs?
I just read an article about Oregon losing games they shouldn't have a few days ago. The losses to Stanford (twice), Cal, ASU, Oregon State, etc in past years have all hurt us, and a few kept us out of the playoffs. That's been the biggest difference between us and programs like Alabama, Ohio State, etc. They have to stay focused and take every opponent seriously.

Beating Georgia would get the Ducks off to a great start! Still, there are more tough games ahead with BYU and Utah coming to Autzen. UCLA can't be overlooked, nor can UW or the Beavers. Stanford, WSU and Cal are still unknowns at this point.

If the Ducks were fortunate enough to get through the season either unbeaten (tough!) or with one loss (more likely), then they'd almost certainly have to either play Utah a second time or USC in the championship game.

If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best.

Go Ducks!!!
John 3:36
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Oregon at this rate is gonna be the most mysterious team in the NCAA, are they gonna be as great as they were on 2019 or be an average team?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon won't release their depth chart but they will say who'll be coaching on the field versus in the booth. They've also shown just how many analysts they've got on staff now.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I didn't realize Koa Ka'ai is on the staff. Was he here last year too?
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

As for matchups....

Georgia's TE - Our LB
We have amazing LBs....but they do struggle in coverage and Georgia arguably has 3 1st round TEs on their roster right now with Bowers being a likely top 10 pick. They will likely convert a ton of 3rd down conversions by dumping to their TE

The rest of the matchups I think are relatively even. Georgia has a top 3 OL and their defense is loaded. Their RB room is decent but not amazing and we should be able to fill gaps / holes but their OL can still help make plays in the running game.

Essentially, Georgia is a more powerful version of Utah. Let's hope Lanning has us WAY more prepared than Mario did.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I didn't realize Koa Ka'ai is on the staff. Was he here last year too?
Just came in with this new staff. He was at Hawaii last year.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I just hope that whoever QB starts with us plays better than how AB was managed by Mario.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

BREAKING NEWS! WE GOT THE UNIFORM COMBO! Since we are wearing green, I wonder how will Georgia's unis look like