Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Re: Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Post by GrandpaDuck »

bellsduck wrote:Good for them. I hope they win the lawsuit. I think they're playing this very well.
Agreed.

After this year is done I will be a Beaver fan as well as a Duck fan as well as a Viking fan. I have ties to all 3 schools and once they are all in different conferences I will root for them in every game they don't play each other.

I am hoping OSU and WSU get everything they can out of the remains of the conference.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Are any of the 10 departing schools really looking for the PAC12 to be dissolved?? I haven't heard one peep about that from any of the 10.

It seems like this is either:
A. Kliavkoff has been excluded from everything and is trying to strong-arm his way into being seen as the acting commissioner by holding pointless "board meetings". OSU and WSU overreacted with a lawsuit instead of just talking to the 10 schools.
B. OSU and WSU are trying to act like the victims and having 10 schools voluntarily relinquish their rights to the PAC12 doesn't make you look like a victim, as opposed to fighting them in court and pretending they were trying to liquidate the PAC12's assets.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

OSU and WSU overreacted with a lawsuit instead of just talking to the 10 schools.
I mean, informal alliances work so well when millions of dollars are on the line.

I don't see this as OSU/WSU overreacting at all. They're simply making sure they'll get what is theirs. I also don't think this will cause any of the other member schools to lose any sleep. It's just business.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Since when is filing a lawsuit preferable over working out issues outside of court? Is there a single school that left that is claiming rights to the PAC12 assets?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

DuckMastaFunk wrote: B. OSU and WSU are trying to act like the victims and having 10 schools voluntarily relinquish their rights to the PAC12 doesn't make you look like a victim, as opposed to fighting them in court and pretending they were trying to liquidate the PAC12's assets.
Here's why they're doing this as I understand it. It isn't 10 schools, it's 8. Kliavakoff withdrew USC/UCLA's ability to vote so it was 10 schools voting on behalf of 12.

OSU/WSU rightfully want to be the only 2 voting on anything going forward as they are the ONLY schools remaining and thus IF USC/UCLA can't vote, neither can the other 8.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:Since when is filing a lawsuit preferable over working out issues outside of court? Is there a single school that left that is claiming rights to the PAC12 assets?
Did you read what their suit is about? A meeting was called by George Kliavkoff including all the former PAC-12 schools to discuss future governance of the conference. OSU and WSU are rightfully calling BS to that and the suit asks for a restraining order against that. If Kliavkoff had not gone around the board to call this meeting a suit wouldn't have been necessary but he did.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Yep, there are lawsuits and then there are LAWSUITS. This is just a lawsuit. It's basically OSU and WSU slapping down the commissioner from doing something he shouldn't be doing. I'd be shocked if any of the other member schools really cared because the bylaws are pretty clear.

The absolute worst thing for OSU/WSU to do in this case would be to do nothing official and just hope the meeting doesn't happen. Those schools really need all that is rightfully theirs at this point and they can't leave anything to chance. That would be criminally irresponsible.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

A judge has GRANTED Oregon State and WSU a temporary restraining order against Gliavkoff and the Pac-12 so that they can't hold a board meeting this Wednesday, as previously planned. It's a step in the direction of giving OSU and Wazzu sole determination of what happens to the Conference going forward, though just a minor/temporary one.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

This article claims that Oregon's future non-conference schedules in the Big Ten will probably feature teams located near the state due to the fact all 4 Big Ten newcomers are going to travel A LOT!

https://www.opb.org/article/2023/09/12/ ... still-tbd/
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

DuckzRule wrote:This article claims that Oregon's future non-conference schedules in the Big Ten will probably feature teams located near the state due to the fact all 4 Big Ten newcomers are going to travel A LOT!

https://www.opb.org/article/2023/09/12/ ... still-tbd/
Glad ole public broadcasting let us know the obvious. ;)

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I like the idea of OSU and Wazoo trying to make a go of it, and that they have residual money to help make it happen. If they can get some defections from the Mountain West and preserve something resembling a conference schedule, I can't help thinking maybe they can lure a few teams back into the fold after they get tired of the travel schedule and the toll it will inevitably take on non-revenue sports. I'm not sure what kind of binding deal Stanford and Cal made, for instance, but one has to think they would wake up and realize how ridiculous their situation is.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Phalanx wrote:I like the idea of OSU and Wazoo trying to make a go of it, and that they have residual money to help make it happen. If they can get some defections from the Mountain West and preserve something resembling a conference schedule, I can't help thinking maybe they can lure a few teams back into the fold after they get tired of the travel schedule and the toll it will inevitably take on non-revenue sports. I'm not sure what kind of binding deal Stanford and Cal made, for instance, but one has to think they would wake up and realize how ridiculous their situation is.
Yes and the funny thing is the Olympic sports are the pride and joy of both athletic programs. Their claim to athletic excellence. Stanford in particular doesn't need the extra football money at the expense of what it is going to do to their outstanding women's sports programs in particular.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phalanx wrote:I like the idea of OSU and Wazoo trying to make a go of it, and that they have residual money to help make it happen. If they can get some defections from the Mountain West and preserve something resembling a conference schedule, I can't help thinking maybe they can lure a few teams back into the fold after they get tired of the travel schedule and the toll it will inevitably take on non-revenue sports. I'm not sure what kind of binding deal Stanford and Cal made, for instance, but one has to think they would wake up and realize how ridiculous their situation is.
The way I think it happens is that the Pac 2 will "absorb" the Mtn West in 2025. This way the Beavs/Cougs can take the massive windfall of $ next year and then split with the Mtn West schools in 2025 when it seems more feasible to make a new conference and I think that's when the Mtn West's TV deal is up for renewal. IIRC, while there are 2 years of Playoff Revenues to be paid out, there's 4-6 years worth of March Madness Revenues (at a lower rate) so I think its with that money that they can make all of those schools happy by getting an extra few million and a much better conference name.

WSU/OSU will play each other twice next year, schedule whatever defections cause other games to open up and as many Mtn West games and just accept that 2024 will be a weird year.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck07 wrote: The way I think it happens is that the Pac 2 will "absorb" the Mtn West in 2025. This way the Beavs/Cougs can take the massive windfall of $ next year and then split with the Mtn West schools in 2025 when it seems more feasible to make a new conference and I think that's when the Mtn West's TV deal is up for renewal. IIRC, while there are 2 years of Playoff Revenues to be paid out, there's 4-6 years worth of March Madness Revenues (at a lower rate) so I think its with that money that they can make all of those schools happy by getting an extra few million and a much better conference name.

WSU/OSU will play each other twice next year, schedule whatever defections cause other games to open up and as many Mtn West games and just accept that 2024 will be a weird year.
Is this conjecture, or did you see this somewhere? I like it. It could still be a pretty strong basketball conference too, so maybe Bill Walton would still be happy.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Just my take but I want to say that both OSU/WSU happened to play Mtn West schools Week 1 and the Mtn West commissioner was talking about how wonderful each school was.