Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Post by StevensTechU »

Big 12 is such a fascinating conference in their new form. Not a single brand that stands out, but functionally no slouches. The winner is probably going to be pretty good, but I would think that it's going to look like the Pac-12 in many seasons where no one can out-recruit the rest well enough to contend with Alabama/tOSU/Georgia/Clemson, let alone make it through the season with 1 or fewer losses.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Big-12 insider indicating that the 4 west coast schools that the Big-12 is interested in are AZ, Colorado, ASU, and SDSU, not Utah. I am assuming SoCal helps with recruiting and TV more than Utah does.
I don't believe any of that for a second. Again, there's no real benefit for any Pac-12 schools going to the Big-12. The Big-12's media deal is already set and it's not great. The Pac's won't be great, either, but it won't be any better or worse than the Big-12's. We're going to be in that same ballpark. Not worth all the upheaval for a lateral move, especially if they can just stand pat while the Pac expands into Texas.

That said, I'm sure the Big-12 would love to get some Pac-12 schools and is leaking all kinds of "information" in desperation to make that happen.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pezsez1 wrote:
Big-12 insider indicating that the 4 west coast schools that the Big-12 is interested in are AZ, Colorado, ASU, and SDSU, not Utah. I am assuming SoCal helps with recruiting and TV more than Utah does.
I don't believe any of that for a second. Again, there's no real benefit for any Pac-12 schools going to the Big-12. The Big-12's media deal is already set and it's not great. The Pac's won't be great, either, but it won't be any better or worse than the Big-12's. We're going to be in that same ballpark. Not worth all the upheaval for a lateral move, especially if they can just stand pat while the Pac expands into Texas.

That said, I'm sure the Big-12 would love to get some Pac-12 schools and is leaking all kinds of "information" in desperation to make that happen.
It's not necessarily always about the TV deal. Their move to Big-12 can be long game, if they think Oregon/UW get poached to Big10. There's many other factors that go into such a decision.

Another for example, could be the difficulty of recruiting socal now with UCLA/USC leaving. Moving to Big12 would open the Texas recruiting door even moreso for them.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
webfoots2001
Two Star Recruit

Post by webfoots2001 »

northbeachsf wrote:Big-12 insider indicating that the 4 west coast schools that the Big-12 is interested in are AZ, Colorado, ASU, and SDSU, not Utah. I am assuming SoCal helps with recruiting and TV more than Utah does.
This came from a stupid twitter account with the name @hornymcfrog and under 500 followers. Why are we still doing this.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

webfoots2001 wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:Big-12 insider indicating that the 4 west coast schools that the Big-12 is interested in are AZ, Colorado, ASU, and SDSU, not Utah. I am assuming SoCal helps with recruiting and TV more than Utah does.
This came from a stupid twitter account with the name @hornymcfrog and under 500 followers. Why are we still doing this.
Because it is fun and there is nothing else to talk about right now.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Going west coast for Big-12 wouldn't make a ton of sense unless they were to add like Wash/Ore/Stanford too. A one team investment seems rather arbitrary.

Also on a side note, for this thread specifically, citing sources for info would be nice!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Pac 12 teams to the Big 12 doesn't happen if Oregon and Washington stay put. Period. Big 12 is inferior to the Pac-10. All the leaks about Pac schools interested in the Big12 are coming from Big12 sources.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

webfoots2001 wrote:
Post of the day! LOL!!

That said, HornyMCFrog is the most reliable college football source out of all the Horny __Frogs on twitter.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Even Utah's AD is tired of journalists/columnists like Dennis Dodd constantly reporting the Corner Schools to the Big-12 rumors.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Fewer fans will attend travel games. The expenses for fans and the athletic department will be substantially greater than now.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

That Utah AD is remarkable! :lol: Love that so much.

Pac-12 teams have no reason to jump to the Big-12. Makes zero sense. Only really makes sense if Oregon/UW seem likely to move to the Big 10, but that seems extremely unlikely. Wouldn't make sense unless Oregon got a full revenue share, but UO would be costing all of the other B1G members more money. The Big 10 only invited USC and UCLA because it meant more $$$ for everyone, not less.

The Pac will expand & stay together and get a media deal roughly the same as the Big-12's. And we'll have an easier path to the CFP.

The only real question is whether we expand by two or four teams. Expanding by four would bring added stability and probably be good for the long run.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I'm very heartbroken today because I found out that, according to Arizona's president, we were going to join the Big Ten instead of UCLA, but thanks to Fox wanting to take over the L.A market, the Bruins were invited despite the fact that they didn't want to join at first.

I know most people here want the Ducks to stay in the Pac-12, but I honestly DON'T want that, the conference is a complete dumpster fire right now and I want more exposure and unique matchups against such teams like Ohio State or Michigan, IDC about the money, I want to be safe in a more stable conference.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... nd-more/?1
webfoots2001
Two Star Recruit

Post by webfoots2001 »

DuckzRule wrote: I know most people here want the Ducks to stay in the Pac-12
I disagree. I think there’s a just a very vocal minority that keep posting their opinion.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I also don't think it's fair to say most "want" to stay in the Pac-12. All of us want long-term stability and a path to the CFP.

Staying put is simply the most stable & realistic option right now.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pezsez1 wrote:I also don't think it's fair to say most "want" to stay in the Pac-12. All of us want long-term stability and a path to the CFP.

Staying put is simply the most stable & realistic option right now.

Staying put is neither stable or good for the iveralll health of the program. The pac 12 will basically become a glorified MWC, and treated even worse than we are now.