Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lmduck

Re: Oh no...LA schools looking to leave for Big 10

Post by lmduck »

DuckzRule wrote:The Big Ten just rejected us and UW, now our only good option is the SEC...

https://mobile.twitter.com/dennisdoddcb ... 3205934082
Read that tweet again- they are waiting on ND. It doesn't say they don't want UO and UW. Once ND decides they will likely make their next move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Why would Notre Dame join the B1G? Hate to say it but it doesn’t make sense unless Fox can somehow lure them from NBC. Notre Dame has a huge brand and they know if future changes happens conferences will beg them to join. Notre Dame doesn’t need a conference, they can continue to make their own schedule with 2 tough teams and a bunch of nobodies, they don’t have to share revenue, and they have a sweet deal with NBC. Looks like Oregon is staying put for the foreseeable future.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

My plan C

PAC-12 adds San Diego State and maybe an upgraded Cal State Fullerton. Giving a complete West Coast and Rockies media coverage.

Form a coalition (Super Conference) with ACC and probably Big 12. The Acc and new Pac-12 would have teams in more of the top media markets than any other conference.

NIL will eventually determine competitiveness. Watch Arkansas rise in basketball for an example. Clemson bought their way to becoming a new football power despite their conference and backwater location. Motivated ultra rich fan bases, Miami, Texas A & M, Arkansas, (Oregon maybe) will end up being more important than conference in developing the new powers.

Alumni money having no rules will be more important to developing a power teams, because they can pay players directly where as the actual schools can only spend on facilities and coaches. Cover the TV markets for TV negotiating but in the end boosters will buy the elite players.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

A little levity as the Big Sky is making UW realignment jokes.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

lukeyrid13 wrote: I'm sorry, but playing Maryland and Rutgers instead of UW and OSU is just plain dumb. We can laugh about leaving those two rivals behind and without a conference, but we truly do want them to still be in our conference.
I can honestly say that I do not want to be in the same conference as washington. I would rather play Rutgers if it means washington disbanded their sports altogether or was relegated to playing University of Portland and Lewis & Clark.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

greenyellow wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:In light of today's events, I suggest renaming the Civil War to the "Who Gives a **** Bowl."
While Pac-12 schools were getting upset over the name of a football game, the Big Ten and SEC were busy winning games and championships while raking in massive amounts of money. Just shows where the priorities were.
What an insane comparison of unrelated things.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Why would Notre Dame join the B1G? Hate to say it but it doesn’t make sense unless Fox can somehow lure them from NBC. Notre Dame has a huge brand and they know if future changes happens conferences will beg them to join. Notre Dame doesn’t need a conference, they can continue to make their own schedule with 2 tough teams and a bunch of nobodies, they don’t have to share revenue, and they have a sweet deal with NBC. Looks like Oregon is staying put for the foreseeable future.
The conventional wisdom at this moment is that ND has to join a conference or they risk being left out of the playoffs. I don't know the reason behind that but many of the CFB pundits seem to be repeating that narrative. True or false, who knows.

lmduck

Post by lmduck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:My plan C

PAC-12 adds San Diego State and maybe an upgraded Cal State Fullerton. Giving a complete West Coast and Rockies media coverage.

Form a coalition (Super Conference) with ACC and probably Big 12. The Acc and new Pac-12 would have teams in more of the top media markets than any other conference.

NIL will eventually determine competitiveness. Watch Arkansas rise in basketball for an example. Clemson bought their way to becoming a new football power despite their conference and backwater location. Motivated ultra rich fan bases, Miami, Texas A & M, Arkansas, (Oregon maybe) will end up being more important than conference in developing the new powers.

Alumni money having no rules will be more important to developing a power teams, because they can pay players directly where as the actual schools can only spend on facilities and coaches. Cover the TV markets for TV negotiating but in the end boosters will buy the elite players.
Not sure Cal State Fullerton has football. They would take Boise State and Fresno state before Cal State Fullerton

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:In light of today's events, I suggest renaming the Civil War to the "Who Gives a **** Bowl."
While Pac-12 schools were getting upset over the name of a football game, the Big Ten and SEC were busy winning games and championships while raking in massive amounts of money. Just shows where the priorities were.
What an insane comparison of unrelated things.

Not only that, but honestly what was the Big winning? Other than not having that jackass Larry Scott, and so they got a much bigger money deal by Fox. But the SEC has been winning everything, with Clemson.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I really want Notre Dame to make their decision ASAP, I'm legit so nervous right now.

Also if we join the B1G, two home and home series' we have scheduled against Michigan State and Ohio State will be cancelled, opening the door for adding a cooler opponent like Alabama.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

DuckzRule wrote:I really want Notre Dame to make their decision ASAP, I'm legit so nervous right now.

Also if we join the B1G, two home and home series' we have scheduled against Michigan State and Ohio State will be cancelled, opening the door for adding a cooler opponent like Alabama.
If things keep going the way they are the only time we play an SEC team is in the playoffs. I can see college football headed to two conferences, with teams only playing within their conference during the regular season, and meeting the opposing conference during the playoffs or championship. Think MLB prior to interleague play.
frogsnouts
Three Star Recruit

Post by frogsnouts »

Notre Dame should probably take that BIG spot, all their old rivals are joining up there so that fits.

Problem with that is everyone is coming in pairs. Does Notre Dame pair with Stanford? Let's say they do and they both say yes getting the BIG to 18 teams.

2 spots left, should logically be Oregon/Washington next. But what about Cal? All the California schools would push for them. UCLA whether it wants to or not due to the UC system and Stanford is obviously closely tied with that school.

My slight fear here is that Cal gets one of those last spots and throws us into a real predicament. I think if Notre Dame says no we are good to go, but if not do we risk missing by a single spot? I'm assuming this caps at 20 teams of course.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Please ND, say yes...
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »