Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Oh no...LA schools looking to leave for Big 10

Post by buckmarkduck »

DuckzRule wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/georgewrighs ... 0933708800

Notre Dame please accept joining the Big 10...

So if ND is in, UO is in also. If not, UO and UW will get in in a year or so.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

buckmarkduck wrote:

This is legit making me nervous, I hope Notre Dame doesn't betray us and we are left in a rotting conference
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

DuckzRule wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

This is legit making me nervous, I hope Notre Dame doesn't betray us and we are left in a rotting conference
Betray us how. They have no allegiance to us or the pac12. They have a massive nation wide following, set their own schedule, and aren't at the mercy of a conference. Unless the ncaa goes away they'd only be betraying themselves by joining. It's in their best interest to stay independent at the moment.

There's no sense in working yourself up over something that has been an ever changing landscape for the past 10 years, and that is out of your control. If your over the age of 30, the golden years of college football have long been gone
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

The Oregon and Notre Dame news are now being reported by Barstool Sports.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

So if it’s only ND and Oregon, do we tell UW to F off and never play them again?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

DuckzRule wrote:The Oregon and Notre Dame news are now being reported by Barstool Sports.
They're just using the same tweet that was posted earlier, not anything new.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Not surprised. Pac-12 leaders made some of the most head-scratching decisions during the pandemic, and I recall a bunch of players/coaches (former/current) not being happy about it. Because while half the country was playing football in 2021 Pac-12 cancelled games and implemented unreasonable measures. Just poor leadership and decision making.

We need to get out ASAP which is too bad cuz we forsake a lot of traditionally rivalries!
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

Even if the Notre Dame/Oregon rumor is true (and I doubt that it is), it is still a bad thing. It's bad for the fans (especially, but not just the fans of the schools left out), bad for the players, and bad for the sport, all being done so that millions of dollars can be firehosed at already bloated ADs. Sure, I get the schadenfreude about Washington being humiliated, but if it is wrong when it happens to you, it's wrong when it happens to somebody else's fan base.

I'll bet a whole lot of USC/UCLA fans are saddened by this. I would guess that UCLA alum Bill Walton is unhappy about it, and USC alum OJ Simpson is out celebrating. Put me on the Walton side of this.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

You guys, we may never have to watch Pac-12 refs screw Oregon again!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

A few things to add to all of this:

Grateful that we've got Rob Mullens. He's done a lot of work nationally between the Playoff Committee and with hiring Coaches and I don't think it's a coincidence that we haven't sent out a Statement because we aren't getting played like the other girls.

If someone else saw the tweet I'd appreciate it but as I recall one reason Goofus and Gallant left yesterday was because it was the last day to re-up on the Conference through a period of time. While the $ is largely of inconsequence for us it could be an added element in getting out.

As much as the heart-strings all want to see a version of the Pacific Coast Conference remain, it's hard to visualize a scenario where the new league can garner enough of a financial interest from a network to make it actually work and not be begging for scraps at the table.

If we do end up in the B10 I think we're going to see the expansion of more sports. Wrestling would likely come back and we'd need to add a M/W Hockey program but it'd all be paid for with the Fox $.

One reason I think we see more of a Notre Dame/Oregon pairing than an Oregon/UW pairing (and NCDuck can correct me about this) but I'd bet that the Ducks get a lot of coverage out of the Seattle market in the recent past to suggest to Fox that the Portland and Seattle market could be covered sufficiently enough while stealing ND from NBC.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:You guys, we may never have to watch Pac-12 refs screw Oregon again!

LOL the problem is the b1g would hire them if the pac dissolves
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

frogsnouts
Three Star Recruit

Post by frogsnouts »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Not surprised. Pac-12 leaders made some of the most head-scratching decisions during the pandemic, and I recall a bunch of players/coaches (former/current) not being happy about it. Because while half the country was playing football in 2021 Pac-12 cancelled games and implemented unreasonable measures. Just poor leadership and decision making.

We need to get out ASAP which is too bad cuz we forsake a lot of traditionally rivalries!
Pac 12 leadership sucked for years but it's got nothing to do with the COVID stuff. The Big Ten most closely mimicked the Pac-12s decision making and policies and had just about as short a season as they did.

It's 100% the failure of the Pac-12 network, this is 100% a money play as it always will be from here on in college sports. Oregon needs to get out and join the money, and that's going to have to be the BIG.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

This guy has a good pulse on multiple conferences and their media deals/inner workings so this is a bit of good news.
frogsnouts
Three Star Recruit

Post by frogsnouts »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Not surprised. Pac-12 leaders made some of the most head-scratching decisions during the pandemic, and I recall a bunch of players/coaches (former/current) not being happy about it. Because while half the country was playing football in 2021 Pac-12 cancelled games and implemented unreasonable measures. Just poor leadership and decision making.

Pac 12 leadership sucked for years but it's got nothing to do with the COVID stuff. The Big Ten most closely mimicked the Pac-12s decision making and policies and had just about as short a season as they did.

It's 100% the failure of the Pac-12 network, this is a money play as it always will be from here on in college sports. Oregon needs to get out and join the money, and that's going to have to be the BIG.